Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Fall Fishing
Hello all... I just bought a boat this summer. I have been enjoying fishing @ Willard but the last 4 times I've been out only the catfish seem to bite. Is this normal for August? Is there an ideal water temp that the walleye and wiper fishing will get better?
(09-06-2022, 04:37 PM)wayno945 Wrote: Hello all... I just bought a boat this summer. I have been enjoying fishing @ Willard but the last 4 times I've been out only the catfish seem to bite. Is this normal for August? Is there an ideal water temp that the walleye and wiper fishing will get better?

Yes, it is totally normal, walleye and wiper catching is always best in the Spring and early Summer but it might get better when the water cools in the Fall. Temps in the 60's are always best at Willard, low 70's will work but once you hit the mid to upper 70's the catching slows way down for everything but the cats.\
By the way, welcome to the site.
Thanks... that is good to know. Hopefully this heat wave ends soon
(09-06-2022, 05:16 PM)wayno945 Wrote: Thanks... that is good to know. Hopefully this heat wave ends soon
Agreed. I've never tried for the SM bass during the Summer but there is a chance you could catch them this time of the year by fishing close to shore and throwing plastics but the problem is, the lake is so full of baby shad right now, that there is an over abundance of food.