Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not so hot time at Lincoln
Fished at Lincoln today with good friend Lee. We kinda planned to hit it early and get out before the sun got us. Cool morning with a light breeze made it comfy on the water. Water temp was around 74 degrees when I left at 10:30. Lee made an earlier exit after catching three cats, maybe more after I last saw him. Always enjoy fishing with Lee, as TD says "he is a good people." Also got a chance to talk with Daniel O. another good friend. He got an early start at about 4 a.m. and had caught a few cats. We complimented each other on our choice of yaks, we have the exact same make and model. No other tubes or yaks on the water, a few tanglers on the rocks.

We extended an invite to TubeDude to join us today but he declined citing family obligations. I think he just didn't want to see Lee and I catch more fish than him. We did get a commitment from him to come down this way again later in the year.

I caught nine cats, the last two were 27+ inchers, all the others were twofooters. Caught all of my cats on wb from the freezer. Kinda slow fishin' compared to other years during the early Fall season. Not much on the sonar, lots of carp sunning themselves, and no wb actibity observed. I have yet to see any YOY wb this year, Sad. Bird Island Is bigger than I have seen it for long time. We need a really good winter with lots of snow.

Still hoping for some bigger cats to start showing up soon. Only one 30 incher for me so far this year but it ain't over yet.

Of note: With the recent shooting near LB this last week I have decided to be more diligent in packing other "rod." The world is changing.

Soon the big cats will come??

BLK/Lynn
Glad you guys got some fish without my help.  But sorry you didn't get your 36 incher.  I appreciate you keeping those fish exercised until I can get back down to really give them some physical therapy sessions.  

It's really shocking and scary about the white bass situation.  That is gonna mess up Utah Lake ecology for a while.  But they have gone through up and down cycles in the past and always seem to refill the lake with whities.  Although I'm not sure us old guys will live long enough to see it again.
Hey Lynn,

Good to hear you got out and had some fun even if you aren't catching any more 30's than I am lately. You do have one by your name thoughSmile

I haven't posted a report yet but Jon and I were out again Monday AM. We did fine, but as you said it was slower than normal for this time of year. I did get to net a 32" cat, just under 14 lbs. You guessed it, Jon caught it. He would have been leading the contest by now, but I can't talk him into joining. Only saving grace for me is he's in my boat, using my stuff and bait. I feel like the law of averages should catch up sometime. Maybe after the contest though. 

A mutual friend of ours told Jon that it would jinx him if he joined the contest. When he told me on Monday that he believed that, I said: "Well, if you get jinxed, that means I could catch one of the big ones."  Wink

As for the whites, 3 or 4 weeks ago we got 5 one morning on the stinger hooks of my cat rigs. Since then we have used the same methods in the same and other locations and not gotten any. On Monday I switched out a cat rod for an ultralight for an hour or so. I hooked one big fish, carp or cat, and one smaller fish. Jon saw the action of the rod and said "You finally got a white." Guess what, out of the water comes a 9" crappie. We were at least half a mile from any brush out in open lake and I get a crappie. To punctuate the luck part of my day, as I lift it into the boat it hits the gunwale and falls back in the lake Blush 

It almost seems like there has been another round of losses on the WB front. I haven't seen any floaters so I'm looking for other explanations. I'm wondering if the few remaining ones are just feeding on midges and larvae and not interested in larger offerings. I know you and I have both seen times when they were midging and ignored almost anything we threw at them.

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic, but I like that scenario better than a second wave of losses.
Lynn,
Didn't sound like too bad of trip to me, but I guess two or three a trip is good for me on Cutler... So it sounded pretty good... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!