Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery help
I’m opening the can of worms on the topic of trolling motor batteries. I recently started having I wouldn’t say issues but I would say the performance hasn’t been the best on my trolling motor batteries. I have 2 12v in tandem and I just realized they are the basic Marine master flooded batteries. They’ve been in use for a little over a year and a half. I’m looking for something that will keep me on the water a little bit longer and will charge easier when I go from spot to spot. I know everybody has their own advice and experience so please keep it cordial lol. I’m leaning towards the AGM 31 series that AutoZone has just because of the price. I appreciate any advice as I want to make a good informative decision.
I recently upgraded my battery for my float tube motor to a Lithium.  I have 3 Cabelas series 27 AGM batteries that are used but still healthy.  You can have them if you want to at least try them and see if that is what it takes to solve your problem.  I have had them for several years but only run them about 30 to 40 times per year.  And rotate them.  So still a lot of charge/discharge cycles left on them.  And I keep them charged between uses so they should give you some good useage.
(09-09-2022, 08:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I recently upgraded my battery for my float tube motor to a Lithium.  I have 3 Cabelas series 27 AGM batteries that are used but still healthy.  You can have them if you want to at least try them and see if that is what it takes to solve your problem.  I have had them for several years but only run them about 30 to 40 times per year.  And rotate them.  So still a lot of charge/discharge cycles left on them.  And I keep them charged between uses so they should give you some good useage.
Such a gracious offer! PM sent
TD is a very gracious person. I have AGM's that at the end of their life ( I am getting there also !!). Eue to the weight factor and the ability to almost discharge down to "0" w/o a drop in voltage, I am going to switch to Lithium this winter. A bit pricey, but will be worth it in the long run, less weight, better performance, longer run time. Can't beat that ! TD, do a write up on your Lithium battery so people can get a good read on them !!
(09-09-2022, 11:22 PM)Therapist Wrote: TD is a very gracious person.  I have AGM's that at the end of their life ( I am getting there also !!).  Eue to the weight factor and the ability to almost discharge down to "0" w/o a drop in voltage,  I am going to switch to Lithium this winter.  A bit pricey, but will be worth it in the long run, less weight, better performance, longer run time.  Can't beat that !  TD,  do a write up on your Lithium battery so people can get a good read on them !!
So far, I have only made 4 or 5 trips with the Lithium.  But I definitely notice some positive comparisons. 

1.  Much lighter.  My series 27 AGM batteries are over 65#.  Getting tougher for this old guy to haul them to and from my tube.  The new Lithium is only 24#.  Definitely an improvement in carrying...and less weight in the tube. 

2.  More power longer.  Although the series 27 AGMs are rated a bit higher in amp hours, they do not deliver a constant output...and decline a lot...almost failing at about the 40% capacity level.  I have had a few tube trips when I was barely moving by the time I hit the ramp after about 4 hours of fishing.  The lithiums put out a constant 12.8 volts until failure...at 0% level.  This gives a longer use on the water at a constant high level of output.  I have already had a couple of high useage trips lasting almost 5 hours...and still had plenty of power as I brought my tube back to the ramp.

3.  Faster recharge time.  Only about 1/2 to 1/3 the time to fully recharge the lithium as compared with the AGM after a trip of similar duration.   

The new lithium will probably outlive me.  But I am more than pleased with my decision to pay the extra for this battery.
I have been running lithium batteries for the last 3 years, if you can afford them I highly recommend you go lithium.

I have the Ionic lithium batteries which have a bluetooth app that tells you all of the important information on your batteries so you know exactly how much battery life you have left.
(09-10-2022, 06:19 PM)Bassin_Blitz Wrote: I have been running lithium batteries for the last 3 years, if you can afford them I highly recommend you go lithium.

I have the Ionic lithium batteries which have a bluetooth app that tells you all of the important information on your batteries so you know exactly how much battery life you have left.

From all the research I’ve done I can’t disagree that the lithium is the way to go. However, my son needed a new bat, catchers glove relaced, fees for fall, my other son had soccer fees and school fees. If I took all the money that I put into my kids sports and activities I would have an amazing lithium set up. however, we can only do so much and it’s far better to watch them succeed than to have a cool setup. tube dude‘s gracious offer will give me a an upgrade until the time comes that I can afford the lithium. 

Thanks for The recommendation on brand.