Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat pedestal advice
The driver's seat, on my boat, is adjustable forward and back but cannot be turned around to face the rear of the boat. It would be more comfortable, when sturgeon fishing, if it could be turned to face the rear.  I am considering replacing the current support with a pedestal that rotates.  The problem I am facing is that the pedestal needs to be only 7 to 8" long and I am finding it difficult to find quality pedestals that are that short.  Has anyone had any experience shortening pedestals with a hacksaw?
Depends on how good you are with a hacksaw. If it was me Id find someone with a pip cutter. More even of a cut and a lot easer.
You could build a box out of plywood, cover it in vinyl boat flooring and put a swivel on it to attach the seat. Heck if you buy the materials I would build it and in stall it in exchange for a fishing trip.

You could build a box out of plywood, cover it in vinyl boat flooring and put a swivel on it to attach the seat. Heck I would build it and in stall it in exchange for a fishing trip.
(10-03-2022, 08:09 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: The driver's seat, on my boat, is adjustable forward and back but cannot be turned around to face the rear of the boat. It would be more comfortable, when sturgeon fishing, if it could be turned to face the rear.  I am considering replacing the current support with a pedestal that rotates.  The problem I am facing is that the pedestal needs to be only 7 to 8" long and I am finding it difficult to find quality pedestals that are that short.  Has anyone had any experience shortening pedestals with a hacksaw?

Yes Kent, I have done that exact same thing, it was too tall just as you described. I took it over to the local high school and ask if they had a machine that could cut it and if they did, would they be willing to cut it for me. Lucky for me it was before high school  started and the metal shop teacher said he would do it and he did it for free. If I remember correctly the machine they used was for cutting pipe, so it worked out great.
Yea, we have a pipe cutter at work, nice straight cut, plumbing shop could probably do it also
Thanks for all of the advice.
Good luck Kent, funny thing I'm always trying to find a taller pedestal, I hate short seats, I like to get up out of the seat easier rather than low seats that I struggle to get my feet under me with... But I suspect your boat design is different than mine, so you're talking apples while I'm thinking oranges.. Good luck and hope you get it figured out okay... I have a couple sprinkler pipe with holes, that I have been wanting to get shortened all summer, but I need to have the end sort of crimped down as it's cut, so it will slide in the next pipe and I've been negligent to take it into Valley Implement to get it done, but I'll bet there set up could be used for your task as well... But it's probably the same pipe cutter that others are referring to... Not sure if there are local farm implement stores in your area that work on sprinkler irrigation, but they might be a good source for you to try as well... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I have dealt with this business when I first purchased the current boat, repairing of the spring & shock absorber seats. The link below provides a pedestal which has different size heights you can choose from. This is one of my projects for the winter. The Garelick pedestal & swivel will cost just over $200 for one seat. I almost ( Sad ) purchased 2 new air rides seat a couple of years ago just prior to covid hitting. By losing focus of the project the prices unfortunately went high. So, I'll stay with the pedestal & swivel setup only. 

Premier Boat Seat Suspension System | Smooth Moves Boat Seats (smoothmovesseats.com) 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I can put it in a lathe at work and cut it down if you want.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I just bought into the pedestal & swivel from smooth moves. One winter project is set. 
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Not sure what you are looking as far as "quality", but the cheap, 7" one made by Attwood will do the trick. Paired with a swivel mount you are good to go. The swivel on top should pair up with your seat, no problem, Maybe even with your adjustable base. The pedestal is $23 and the swivel is another $14. Worth a try...
My new pedestals unexpectantly came yesterday 10-09, so after getting my chores & honey do's done, I started the install not waiting for winter to set in. Now I'm ready for the comfort trial run, also have a lot of foot room. The aluminum carpet cover box mount was a small storage to stash a few things, but it was time for me to change. 

[Image: Boat-Seat.jpg]
This is the old style, I recovered it about 5yrs ago

[Image: Boat-Seat-Pedestal1.jpg]
New pedestal & swivel assy

[Image: Boat-Seat-Pedestal2.jpg]

[Image: Boat-Seat-Pedestal3.jpg]
Harrisville UT