Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Final Kokanee Trip
Hello all,
What a wonderful fishing season it has been.  It's Sad to see another season come to an end.  I fish mainly Jackson Lake and Flaming Gorge.  The kokanee fishing on the gorge this year has been more difficult than past years. However, we have had wonderful experiences fishing for them.  The most important thing I learned in 2022 about fishing for kokanee was to constantly change speed, color, presentation, depth and action until one combo started working.  There has not been a year that I can remember where i have tried so many different variations and combos of gear.  My wife says I overthink things! Ha! Ha!

I never fished the same two days in a row this year.  They seemed to change day to day.  One day I caught 3 limits on orange wedding rings, the next day white hoochies were the ticket.  Midway through the season Paulina Peak Tackle flutter bugs were dynamite and then one day they wouldn't touch them. I went back to the good old stand-by Apex's one day and hammered good size kokanee. 

I did have better luck with my scented corn than I did with maggots.  However, it didn't matter whether my corn was dyed or not.  I've always been a big believer in scent but this year it didn't seem to make a difference.  I played a lot with scent and no scent with no winner.

My goal this year was to hit the 5 lb mark.  After many, many trips, I finally did it on my last trip with a big red.  Such an awesome fish!  I hope the kokanee fishing returns to steady again.  I don't know what the reasons for the tough bite but I do know the pressure on these fish is immense. I counted 62 vessels in one general area one day.  I don't know how any population of fish can thrive with that kind of pressure.  I'd like to say I did my part banging on the pup lake trout also.

We are blessed to fish this beautiful body of water.  My kids love to go with me and as long as they do, I will make every effort to get out there. Tight lines everyone!
[Image: IMG-0865.jpg]
It has for sure been a strange year for catching or not catching kokes, great red koke.
That is a beautiful fish. Wow!!! Congrats on breaking the 5lb.
That is a real beauty, I hope you're having a mount of this brute made.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF