Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fliging Willard Friday
Randy and I had Willard all to our self Friday. We launched from the north marina in the dark and ran over to the feed lot and started dragging various fligs tipped with a variety of baits in about 8’ of water after going more than an hour without a bite we decided to run out to the west but the farther west we went the windier it got, so after fishing a few minutes I consulted my wind app which showed that the east side was flat so we went back close to where we started but a little farther out off the dike. We got our first cat at 9:25 and then picked up 2 more cats the largest 24” and a 22” Waleye over the next couple hours. They where all caught on perch from last winter. Fire tiger and silver blue flig both produced. I have managed to catch a few fliging but have yet to have what I would consider a good day. I think I need to get out with one of you flig pros and figure out what I’m doing wrong.
[Image: 6118-BA73-07-E9-4699-B572-86493-F673384.jpg]

[Image: 731-CED21-7-CA6-4-B47-AB2-D-68681-F32-F4-F4.jpg]

[Image: B5-B95-B32-EC09-45-CA-8-BC4-7261-C0001-CC6.jpg]

[Image: E1-F8-C9-A2-2980-4739-A18-A-70-B8-B7-AF1088.jpg]
Not hard to figure out why you weren't killing them.  You were fishing from a boat...not a float tube. 

Seriously, fishing fligs is simple but there are a lot of potential refinements and modifications that can improve the odds.  I've been playing with them for years and have learned a lot...but still learn new things on almost every trip.

If you are up for some auditory abuse (me whining about fishing from a boat) I'd be glad to join you sometime to at least expose you to some of the stuff I think I know.

Good to see you score a walleye.  They should get more active in shallower water as the temps drop a bit.  And they do eat fligs.
Well done guys
That was the only time I ever was on the only boat on Willard. It was a great day with Shawn. We always have a good time. But a full moon and dead or half dead 1 1/4 inch shad minnows everywhere assured us slow fishing.
Pat, I still haven't broke my flig virginity. I need help also. I tried every weerily flig color. And just regular fligs. Yours and mine. I tried a white flig with gulp minnows and worms and perch meat. So I hope I can go with you and Shawn for a lesson.
(09-10-2022, 09:11 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Not hard to figure out why you weren't killing them.  You were fishing from a boat...not a float tube. 

Seriously, fishing fligs is simple but there are a lot of potential refinements and modifications that can improve the odds.  I've been playing with them for years and have learned a lot...but still learn new things on almost every trip.

If you are up for some auditory abuse (me whining about fishing from a boat) I'd be glad to join you sometime to at least expose you to some of the stuff I think I know.

Good to see you score a walleye.  They should get more active in shallower water as the temps drop a bit.  And they do eat fligs.

Any chance your available this Friday to give Randy and I a tutorial?
(09-12-2022, 01:59 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 09:11 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Not hard to figure out why you weren't killing them.  You were fishing from a boat...not a float tube. 

Yeah, I could be there.  But I could almost guarantee a better time if you wait until the following Thursday or Friday.  This Friday will be right after a weather system...so the fish will be unsettled and the water will likely be murky from the winds.  However,  if your schedule only allows for next Friday I can make it happen.
(09-12-2022, 08:48 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 01:59 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

Yeah, I could be there.  But I could almost guarantee a better time if you wait until the following Thursday or Friday.  This Friday will be right after a weather system...so the fish will be unsettled and the water will likely be murky from the winds.  However,  if your schedule only allows for next Friday I can make it happen.
Ok ill take your advice and hit you up again in a couple weeks maybe we can make it out in October and the water will be cooler as well waking up the walleyes and wipers. I am really looking forward to fishing with you.
(09-14-2022, 02:54 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Ok ill take your advice and hit you up again in a couple weeks maybe we can make it out in October and the water will be cooler as well waking up the walleyes and wipers. I am really looking forward to fishing with you.

October into the first of December can be great.  Once the water cools the predators become more active.  And you don't have to troll at mach 3 to catch them.  Slow trolling a wide variety of stuff more slowly...like fligs...can put all the usual species in the boat.  I have made some of my best catches of larger walleyes and wipers then.  Plus, the big perch will be schooling up by then too.  I also am looking forward to us getting together...finally.  I may hit it in my tube around the end of next week.

Here are pictures of a walleye, a wiper and a crappie I caught on the same late fall day one year...right around the entrance to the north marina.
[Image: MY-MY-A-WALLEYE.jpg] [Image: FIRST-FISH.jpg] [Image: COOL-CRAPPIE.jpg]