Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gasoline and braided line
So I got a new roll of braid and accidentally spilled about 1/4 cup of premix gasoline.  Do I need to worry about the integrity of the line now?
(09-12-2022, 04:43 PM)big_griggs Wrote: So I got a new roll of braid and accidentally spilled about 1/4 cup of premix gasoline.  Do I need to worry about the integrity of the line now?

This is just my opinion, I have no facts to back it up but I'd be more concerned about the smell it puts off in the water, that could repel fish, than I would about the damage it does to the line. I think the braid would absorb the gas, where mono would more likely be damaged by the gas.
(09-12-2022, 04:43 PM)big_griggs Wrote: So I got a new roll of braid and accidentally spilled about 1/4 cup of premix gasoline.  Do I need to worry about the integrity of the line now?

I would be more concerned about smell on line than line integrity.
Also, since it was premix the oil residue on the line is gonna grab dust and stick to it.

(09-12-2022, 05:13 PM)MrShane Wrote:

I would be more concerned about smell on line than line integrity.
Also, since it was premix the oil residue on the line is gonna grab dust and stick to it.

Oops, WH2 beat me to it while I typed.
I'd soak it in hot, soapy water overnight, rinse well, and then spray it with some Reel Fast (I think that's what it's called) line conditioner.

You could also spool it on a reel and then let it all out behind the boat for a mile or so at troll speed.
(09-12-2022, 06:15 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'd soak it in hot, soapy water overnight, rinse well, and then spray it with some Reel Fast (I think that's what it's called) line conditioner.

You could also spool it on a reel and then let it all out behind the boat for a mile or so at troll speed.

That sounds like the best option Thanks Rocky
(09-12-2022, 08:09 PM)big_griggs Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 06:15 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I'd soak it in hot, soapy water overnight, rinse well, and then spray it with some Reel Fast (I think that's what it's called) line conditioner.

This is a perfect chance to try an experiment.
Next trip use gas tainted line and build the exact same rig on a clean line.
Fish them relatively close to each other and see which one out performs the other.
Please post results.
(09-12-2022, 09:51 PM)MrShane Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 08:09 PM)big_griggs Wrote:

This is a perfect chance to try an experiment.
Next trip use gas tainted line and build the exact same rig on a clean line.
Fish them relatively close to each other and see which one out performs the other.
Please post results.

I am also interested in the results; however, given the cost of fuel and potentially limited time on the water, you might consider just throwing away the line. Gas and oil scent won’t come out easily.

On the other hand, while I’m highly skeptical, maybe the scent could actually attract fish. If the WD-40 myths are true, perhaps a petroleum dip will draw in the big one.
There's no way to tell for sure short of a full-scale science experiment, but I suspect that the smell of gasoline is not exactly unknown to fish. With all the outboards zooming around out there, there's gasoline in the water already. I think I read in the In-Fisherman magazine recently that such a study was conducted and gasoline was one of the smells that had the least impact on fish. One of the most negative was insect repellent, specifically DEET.

My concern with gasoline-soaked line would be line strength. How petroleum affects a given polymer is uncertain.