Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More on Pineview
Sorry for the way I have to post this.  I haven't found a link to the article, so I had to post it as a picture.  If you just click on each of the 3 pictures below, they should open in a seperate window in a manner that will allow you to actually read the article an a computer screen.  If you do all of your internet browsing on your phone, I have no idea if you will be able to view the article in a large enough format that will allow you to read it on your phone.  I am still trying to get a link to the article and will post it if I can find it.

In the mean time, I would think you'd want to try to attend the meeting on Sep 29th at 6:00 PM at the Ogden Valley Library to hear for your self what is planned for Pineview from the Ogden Ranger District (Sean Harwood) and voice your concerns.  This is important for all of us that want to use Pineview year-round.  I'm fairly certain that for most of you, the USFS view of adequate year-round access to Pineview is different than yours.   Wink  

[Image: Pineview-Plans-1.jpg]

[Image: Pineview-Plans-2.jpg]

[Image: Pineview-Plans-3.jpg]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
It is worse than a crying shame; it's an outrage that a publicly funded recreation facility close to a major metropolitan area is closed to the public for most of the year - and only open at points where a concessionaire collects outrageous fees to enter. I would rather it be closed permanently to any access whatever for use solely as a water source than the way it is now "managed."
If the public doesn’t stand up to them now they will continue to place more and more rules and regulations on the reservoir. I could see a fence all the way around the reservoir with no parking signs to require everyone to pay for shore access. All of us who currently access the reservoir from “free” access points will have no choice but to go to Anderson cove and pay to fish. Keeping only Anderson cove open in the winter makes it easier to man a both and charge for parking.
I didn't get a link to the published article, but I did get a text copy of the article which I am publishing below.

*******************************************************************************************

Forest Service Announces Plans for Pineview Reservoir

A community meeting will be held September 29 at 6:00 p.m. at the Ogden Valley Library in Huntsville with the Forest Service. Ogden District Ranger Sean Harwood will present information about the “Pineview Reservoir Recreation Complex Reconstruction Project.” There will be ample time for comments and questions from the public.

This project will be completed in phases. Due to the Great American Outdoors Act, which was signed into law in 2020, the Ogden Ranger District has received abundant funding from our tax dollars to improve infrastructure and “enhance visitor experiences.”

Phase One includes improving Cemetery Point. Improvements will begin September 12 and are expected to be finished sometime in December 2022. This project will require heavy equipment to dig up some areas and move dirt to washout areas along the beaches. The road to the cemetery will be heavily used and may be closed temporarily on some days depending on equipment activity.

Phase One will also improve the facilities at the Pineview Trailhead (Windsurfer Beach) and Port Ramp, Spring Creek, Pelican Beach, and Anderson Cove. These construction projects are not expected to begin until 2024.

Phase One also provides for the Bureau of Land Management, in coordination with the Forest Service, to execute a federal authority land survey for the perimeter of Pineview Reservoir. The Forest Service wants to reestablish the extent of federal land title and to define the property lines between the National Forest System land and other ownerships in relation to well recognized points of reference. Monuments to mark the boundaries will be placed based on the survey.

One Huntsville resident stated, “I think it’s pretty clear where the Forest Service property line is around Pineview. We have been their neighbors for close to 30 years in Huntsville and we know the property line. There was a fence when we bought it and there’s still a fence in the exact same place.”

Last May Ogden District Ranger Harwood met with Huntsville residents who own property adjacent to Pineview to notify them of the upcoming survey. At that meeting residents were informed the project would include blocking all access to Pineview, except for fee collection sites such as Cemetery Point, Middle Inlet, Anderson Cove, and Port Ramp. All entrance points from private property to Pineview would be blocked year-round. It was stated at that meeting Pineview would eventually be fenced off along the boundary line and the only access points would be fee collection sites during the summer months. And during the off-season months, the only access point would be Anderson Cove.

Huntsville residents are neighbors to Pineview, along with all other Ogden Valley residents who live near and around the Pineview Reservoir. They believe they are good neighbors. During the busy summer months, they tolerate the constant noise from boats on the reservoir all day and late into the night. Huntsville residents who live along the lake have had cars parked on their lawns and trash left on their property from summer crowds accessing the reservoir across private property. It is understood that access points need to be managed during the summer months, and Huntsville has taken that step to help the Forest Service. During the summer months, all access points from Huntsville Town only allow parking with a Huntsville Town parking pass, and Huntsville Town employs someone to manage those parking areas.

But what about the other nine months of the year? Pineview is quiet and not crowded. Those who do walk along the shores during that time are not harming Pineview. In fact, they often help clean the shoreline by picking up trash. Huntsville and Ogden Valley residents believe they are good neighbors to Pineview and to the Forest Service. Is this a way to treat good neighbors by blocking access to those who enjoy and love Pineview year-round. Should the Forest Service block the public from accessing public lands?

Pineview is a popular ice-fishing spot in the winter. One of the best access points for ice-fishing is Cemetery Point. When the water is low at the end of the summer season, as it often is, there is still plenty of ice from the Cemetery Point access because it is a peninsula that juts out into the middle of the reservoir and offers access to both the north and south sides of the reservoir. Cemetery Point also has an established parking lot.

On the other hand, Anderson Cove often has no water by the time the winter season arrives, after a dry summer, and only accesses the south side of the reservoir. Port Ramp has been open year-round in the past. Now, as of last May, it has a locked gate and plans are to keep it locked during the off-season.

For the past two winters the Forest Service has locked the gate to the parking lot at Cemetery Point and, according to the Forest Service, there are no plans to open it in the future for winter ice fishing. Cemetery Point’s parking lot had been open and used during the winter for over forty years and now it is locked. Does this make sense to use Anderson Cove as the only winter access and not Cemetery Point or Port Ramp?

This Forest Service project is intended to improve 16 recreation sites around Pineview. Does this include cleaning up the “decommissioned” Jefferson Hunt campground that used taxpayer dollars to destroy facilities that were built using taxpayer dollars? The facilities, which consisted of sturdy metal picnic tables on concrete slabs, were destroyed with heavy equipment and have been lying there in piles of twisted metal and broken concrete for over two years.

The Forest Service has received funding through 2025 and it seems they want to use it to block access to Pineview year-round for its good neighbors in Ogden Valley.

The meeting on September 29 is our chance to ask the Forest Service the important questions of how their plan will enhance our experience with our public lands.

I also got some updated information from the Ogden Ranger District that indicates that the Ogden Valley News article was partially incorrect.  Here is the Ogden Ranger District update information.

At the time the information for winter use at Pineview went to The Ogden Valley News, Utah Recreation Company (URC) and I were still in discussion about what would be open. The yearly operating plan listed Anderson Cove as the access for winter use and that is what I went with. Since that time, the boat ramp at Anderson has come out of the water, which is usually the case unless we have a really good water year. So in order to make the lake available to water craft, URC has agreed to keep Port Ramp open until it is closed by the winter weather. Once the weather closes the ramp, Anderson will be open for winter access for ice fishing and other lake activities, skiing, skating, whatever. We just received this proposal from URC this week and haven’t had time to get the word out. Thanks for bringing this up and we really need to give URC credit for stepping up and making this happen.

In the continuing saga of ‘Pineview Reservoir’, I called the Utah Recreation Company (URC) and asked them to further clarify the muddied waters.  I hope all y’all are sittin’ down. 

The Port Ramp will, in fact remain open until winter weather sets in.  URC estimates this will likely happen in December.  When the Port Ramp gate is closed and locked, the winter access point will be shifted to Anderson Cove.  Here’s the really bad news.  The absolutely obscene daily entrance fee of $18 WILL be collected each and every day you access Pineview via either venue.

If you bought a season pass for Pineview last Spring, like a few of my friends did, be advised that is called a ‘SEASON’ pass and not an ‘ANNUAL’ pass.  And the boating ‘SEASON’ ends this month (September 2022).  So going forward into October, November, and beyond, it will cost you $18/day to access Pineview and fish.

It is unknown by this reporter if URC will be charging you double fees ($36) if you show up in January with 2 snow machines on one trailer like I was told they did if you showed up with 2 jet-skies on one trailer during the boating 'SEASON.'

There you have it boys & girls.  Your federal government agency hard at work on your behalf.  Remember, the agency is asking for public input at a meeting on September 29th.  Will you be there?   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Good to find out they made a compromise but the problem is during the Winter it is a long way from Anderson cove to any good fishing area and in low snow Winters, it is tough on a snow machines to drive over dirt to get to the ice but I guess having axcess before Winter set in is better than nothing and better than what we thought we would be getting. Do you think it would really do any good to go to their meeting at the Library, after all we are dealing with the government here Undecided
I've never liked the Park management at Pineview , and this one of the reasons that I won't put my boat in Pineview. Just the way I feel.
(09-14-2022, 08:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Do you think it would really do any good to go to their meeting at the Library, after all we are dealing with the government here Undecided
Yes, I do.  If for no other reason than to see what the real issues are by asking pointed questions of and offering valid solutions to Mr Harwood about management of the facility.  Also, there is usually strength in numbers and an overflow crowd would show that this is of major concern to lots of folks.   Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(09-15-2022, 12:58 PM)dubob Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 08:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Do you think it would really do any good to go to their meeting at the Library, after all we are dealing with the government here Undecided
Yes, I do.  If for no other reason than to see what the real issues are by asking pointed questions of and offering valid solutions to Mr Harwood about management of the facility.  Also, there is usually strength in numbers and an overflow crowd would show that this is of major concern to lots of folks.   Smile

OK, this is the library there in Huntsville, correct? Not a lot of parking there but I guess we could park up and down the streets or at their electric car charging station that is right in front of the library, doubt anyone will be using it anyway.
(09-15-2022, 01:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: OK, this is the library there in Huntsville, correct? Not a lot of parking there but I guess we could park up and down the streets or at their electric car charging station that is right in front of the library, doubt anyone will be using it anyway.
It would appear from satellite imagery that there are over 100 parking spots on the street along the east side of the library.  I don’t think parking will be an issue.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
like I have said, WE, meaning BFT, need to get our Congressional representatives to take Pineview and Strawberry out of Federal hands and have the State administer it. The feds have been mismanaging these two waters for far to long. The fees they charge and the ridiculous rules they lay down are a travesty. We should all contact our Reps and Sen Lee and Sen Romney and demand that both bodies of water be turned over to the state for administration. Enough of the Fed Bovine Scatology. Get it done BFT or we are all screwed !!
Just a reminder for any of you that what to voice your opiuon about being able to use Pineview during the ice fishing season, the meeting is today at the Huntsville library at 6pm, hope to see a bunch of you there.
Wow, that place packed last night, all 100 parking spots were filling and cars were parked on the main street on the drive in. Did anyone else make it up there? They even had KSL there filming it.
I sincerely hope that the crowd's voices were actually heard. In an era when one "Karen" can cause whole industries to change, can we hope that a massed crowd's displeasure can bring about change?
(09-30-2022, 03:26 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I sincerely hope that the crowd's voices were actually heard. In an era when one "Karen" can cause whole industries to change, can we hope that a massed crowd's displeasure can bring about change?

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately depending on if you were a local resident or not, it was all about residents issues with the planned development of the area and not one thing was brought up about fishing access, unless you were a homeowner and live around the lake. The city council spoke first, then the residents.  I tried to ask about how the access was going to work at Andersen cove this Winter but was never given the chance because of all the residents there. Then after 30 minutes of questions, they shut it all down.
Sounds like another bogus Federal overreach that only allows input from the property owners that are able to put large amounts of $$ behind their desires. 

Glad I don't even attempt to fish at Pineview anymore.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-30-2022, 04:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 03:26 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I sincerely hope that the crowd's voices were actually heard. In an era when one "Karen" can cause whole industries to change, can we hope that a massed crowd's displeasure can bring about change?

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately depending on if you were a local resident or not, it was all about residents issues with the planned development of the area and not one thing was brought up about fishing access, unless you were a homeowner and live around the lake. The city council spoke first, then the residents.  I tried to ask about how the access was going to work at Andersen cove this Winter but was never given the chance because of all the residents there. Then after 30 minutes of questions, they shut it all down.
I’m glad I didn’t go to that meeting. Something told me that it’s just pop and circumstance and a bunch of hot air being blown up. I was up there today at my third attempt for a TM fishing wasn’t so great especially tearing up my prop when some bank tanglers kept asking me questions and made me lose my focus.(pretty frustrating).

The positive aspect was when I was cleaning up my boat a gentleman by the name of Adam, who runs the forest service side of things, stopped and chatted with me for quite some time. I was pretty direct to my questions of why off-season prices to launch are the same price as it is to go to big corporate lagoon and park?? Why are there no discounts for disabled veterans, and seniors who are retired. He said he would pass along that information. My guess from the conversation is there is a district forrest manager above him who made all these decisions and that is the person that we need to contact their boss if we want something to happen because my guess is they have a little too much power? 
He did say that if there is a group, willing to take care of the bathroom and be responsible, the forest service will be willing to open gates for them in the winter time we just need to contact them. some of this information might be redundant, but I did want to share it with the group.
(09-30-2022, 06:48 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Sounds like another bogus Federal overreach that only allows input from the property owners that are able to put large amounts of $$ behind their desires. 

Glad I don't even attempt to fish at Pineview anymore.

I don't think that was the case, they were just concerned about their town and how it was being over run by people, so they showed up in overwhelming numbers to voice their concern. Some were concerned about their kids not being able to walk down to the beach and fish or play. Others were concerned about new walking or biking paths because the old paths were too close to the roads. Still others were concerned about projects the forest service started but never finished. Lots of concerned citizens and there just wasn't enough time for everyone to talk.
Just more Bovine Scatology being spread by Forest Service. Can only guess what they have in store for Strawberry/SoldierCreek after they give Pineview the business !! WE need to get our Congressional Delegation involved and get these two bodies of water out of the control of Forest Service and under State Control. The longer we let things go, the more entrenched it becomes and harder to change in the future !!
(10-02-2022, 08:05 PM)Therapist Wrote: Just more Bovine Scatology being spread by Forest Service.  Can only guess what they have in store for Strawberry/SoldierCreek after they give Pineview the business !!  WE need to get our Congressional Delegation involved and get these two bodies of water out of the control of Forest Service and under State Control.  The longer we let things go, the more entrenched it becomes and harder to change in the future !!

From what the Forest sevice guy was saying it's all about the $$ and charging more money, so they can take away more of the people's access. They have more and more plans to put in more and more pay stations so they can charge the people more momey to use their land. I can understand why those people were up in arms. I know a lot of thoses people are rich up there but if I owned lake front property I would not like it either if the FS told me my kids could not go down to the beach and play or fish without paying a fee. I'm really not sure why PV is in the hands of the FS anyway, Strawberry, I get it, it's up in the mountains but the way Huntville is now, it's in the city, surrounded by city, no different than Willard or Utah lake, IMO, it should be a state park.
(10-02-2022, 08:40 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 08:05 PM)Therapist Wrote: Just more Bovine Scatology being spread by Forest Service.  Can only guess what they have in store for Strawberry/SoldierCreek after they give Pineview the business !!  WE need to get our Congressional Delegation involved and get these two bodies of water out of the control of Forest Service and under State Control.  The longer we let things go, the more entrenched it becomes and harder to change in the future !!

From what the Forest sevice guy was saying it's all about the $$ and charging more money, so they can take away more of the people's access. They have more and more plans to put in more and more pay stations so they can charge the people more momey to use their land. I can understand why those people were up in arms. I know a lot of thoses people are rich up there but if I owned lake front property I would not like it either if the FS told me my kids could not go down to the beach and play or fish without paying a fee. I'm really not sure why PV is in the hands of the FS anyway, Strawberry, I get it, it's up in the mountains but the way Huntville is now, it's in the city, surrounded by city, no different than Willard or Utah lake, IMO, it should be a state park.
I don’t want to call him out by name. But one of the forest service employees that I may have recently talked to admittedly said that they are flying by the seat of their pants trying to manage Pineview. He said this is the forest service and we are not set up for dealing with bodies of water, and civilian access.
My opinion, if anything needs to be done it’s talking to the district managers boss. The district manager his name is Shawn Anderson. it’s just following the chain of command. If you’ve ever worked with one of our legislators, it is a pointless process. You sign a bunch of paperwork asking for help, and then an intern will talk to you. I’ve done it before when I needed their help with a government agency. Squeaky wheel …