Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Walleye Classic Results
A BFT member who seldom posts anymore sent me this PDF file of the results of the Starvation Walleye Classic that was held last weekend...with 40 2-man teams. 

Some interesting takeaways.  Big fish for the 2 days was just over 9#.  Next biggest was just over 7#.  But very few fish over 2#.  Shows there are still some bigguns in Starvy but not many. 

The report was that the fishing was tough overall.  Total weight for many teams for two days was under 5#...with several blanks.   Most individual reports I have gotten on Starvy this year are that there are a lot of dinks and "seegars"...but very few teens and twenties.

Attached Files
.pdf   Utah Walleye SWC 2022 Final Results.pdf (Size: 55.05 KB / Downloads: 69)
Looks like the first two teams did much better than any of the rest, with 25 lbs or close, really drops off after that. Those two lead teams must really know the lake.
Here is a little more information from Cris Penne (DWR) about this year's stocking.
Willard bay - 500k walleye fry , these would only be about 3 days old.
17k fingerlings about 3 inches long.
175k wipers didn't say the size
The big factor for planting fry is food source, and water temperature. The phytoplankton, or zooplankton must be there for the fry to eat. Can't remember which one it is they eat..
(09-15-2022, 05:00 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Here is a little more information from Cris Penne (DWR) about this year's stocking.
Willard bay - 500k walleye fry , these would only be about 3 days old.
17k fingerlings  about 3 inches long.
175k wipers  didn't say the size
The big factor for planting fry is food source, and water temperature.  The phytoplankton, or zooplankton must be there for the fry to eat. Can't remember which one it is they eat..

Most sac fry eat both phytoplankton (plants) and zooplankton (invertebrates)...with the latter being a better source of nutrients.  Interestingly...and unfortunately...zooplankton are also the main dietary item for young shad.  And they can seriously impact the available food resources for the young of other species.

On the flip side...young shad must grow and develop the ability to eat other things besides zooplankton before it gets cold in the fall and the zooplankton diminish.  Otherwise they starve.  That's why we see so many tiny dead shad in the fall after the water cools off.  No food for the late hatching shad...who can't live on anything but zooplankton.
Interesting data. I crunched the numbers and with 80 fishermen fishing 2 days targeting walleye the average fish per man per day was 1.65 and the average weight about 1.2# per fish. Now I don't feel quite so bad about my walleye pursuits because based on the results of this tournamant I might be considered an average walleye fisherman or maybe even a hare above average!
We fished in this tournament. I can attest the fishing was really tough. All the elements were working against us, full moon at night, hot water and air temps, dead calm with no clouds…pretty much everything you don’t want when walleye fishing. That was our excuse and I’m sticking with it. It was extremely frustrating to say the least. We searched areas and baits for 3 days straight. Some guys did well, but they either had prior knowledge from past experience or figured a pattern out in prefishing. We are fairly new to walleye fishing, so no prior knowledge in those conditions and we obviously never found a pattern. We were able to pick a stray walleye off here and there but could never replicate success. The final numbers may be somewhat deceiving. The guys that did well, did better than their 6 fish bag and the guys that had poor success may have done slightly better than the numbers show due to either not weighing on day 2 or landing short fish. We did not weigh on day 2 and got a handful of short fish. I believe most of the walleye in Starvation are in the 10”-13” range. 12” was the minimum size you could weigh. There does seem to be a massive class of 16”-26” fish missing in there right now. It was a good time, a great learning experience and a very well ran event. We will do it again, hopefully with better results next time. There are some great walleye fisherman in Utah. It was fun fishing with them.
(09-15-2022, 01:25 PM)TubeDude Wrote: A BFT member who seldom posts anymore sent me this PDF file of the results of the Starvation Walleye Classic that was held last weekend...with 40 2-man teams. 

Some interesting takeaways.  Big fish for the 2 days was just over 9#.  Next biggest was just over 7#.  But very few fish over 2#.  Shows there are still some bigguns in Starvy but not many. 

The report was that the fishing was tough overall.  Total weight for many teams for two days was under 5#...with several blanks.   Most individual reports I have gotten on Starvy this year are that there are a lot of dinks and "seegars"...but very few teens and twenties.
Hi Pat,
Please tell your buddy who doesn’t post anymore that ‘Shane in the silver Ranger’ says hello!
(09-20-2022, 03:53 AM)MrShane Wrote:
(09-15-2022, 01:25 PM)TubeDude Wrote: A BFT member who seldom posts anymore sent me this PDF file of the results of the Starvation Walleye Classic that was held last weekend...with 40 2-man teams. 

Hi Pat,  Please tell your buddy who doesn’t post anymore that ‘Shane in the silver Ranger’ says hello!
I think you have correctly guessed the name of my "confidential informant".  If you don't still have his contact info I will give you his email and phone number.  He no longer has his black Lund.  But he has a monster new craft.
(09-20-2022, 01:36 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Hi Pat,  Please tell your buddy who doesn’t post anymore that ‘Shane in the silver Ranger’ says hello!
I think you have correctly guessed the name of my "confidential informant".  If you don't still have his contact info I will give you his email and phone number.  He no longer has his black Lund.  But he has a monster new craft.
Thanks Pat, I still have his cell number.
I did send him a hello message but he hasn’t answered yet.
(09-20-2022, 04:40 PM)MrShane Wrote:

He's going through some "life" situations right now...including a move to a new residence.  So he may be a bit distracted and preoccupied.  
(09-20-2022, 05:34 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 04:40 PM)MrShane Wrote:

He's going through some "life" situations right now...including a move to a new residence.  So he may be a bit distracted and preoccupied.  
He said it was tough, full moon and all his normal places high and dry and few other unforeseen problems he still done well for his first time, Im sure he will do better next year.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]