Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
In search of grayling
Wanted to catch some grayling, so we headed to Smith and Morehouse today.  We caught 31, and they were all grayling except for 31 pan-size rainbows. Sad  My fishing partner did lose one at the boat.  

Searched for tiger trout and struck out, and now I searched for grayling and struck out -- what is next?
Gotta go looking for rainbows next time and you'll find the grayling that way maybe haha
(09-21-2022, 02:21 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Gotta go looking for rainbows next time and you'll find the grayling that way maybe haha

With my luck, that might work.
Are you willing to hike in the Uintas?
I know you have caught them before, but are you really after grayling specifically or were you hoping to just break up the routine with the rainbows?

What is next would you be up to you. Wink
Better try some goldens they will probably provide the same result... Sounds like a fun trip even if you didn't get what you wanted... Wish my failures were as fruitful... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-21-2022, 04:18 AM)Uintaman2 Wrote: Are you willing to hike in the Uintas?

I have caught lots of grayling, in the Uintas and elsewhere.  I caught some, through the ice, last ice season at Smith and Morehouse, so I was just hoping to catch some to add variety to my species list this year.  Hopefully, someone will take pity on me, this ice season, and give me a ride up there again, or maybe there will be safe ice while the road is still passable in my Armada.

(09-21-2022, 05:38 AM)doggonefishin Wrote: I know you have caught them before, but are you really after grayling specifically or were you hoping to just break up the routine with the rainbows?

What is next would you be up to you.  Wink

Just trying to break up my routine.  Next, is another sturgeon trip, and I hope it is successful.

(09-21-2022, 11:32 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Better try some goldens they will probably provide the same result... Sounds like a fun trip even if you didn't get what you wanted... Wish my failures were as fruitful... Later J

My one and only golden trip, a few years ago, was highly successful; however, I have heard they are more difficult to catch now.
(09-21-2022, 01:08 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Wanted to catch some grayling, so we headed to Smith and Morehouse today.  We caught 31, and they were all grayling except for 31 pan-size rainbows. Sad  My fishing partner did lose one at the boat.  

Searched for tiger trout and struck out, and now I searched for grayling and struck out -- what is next?

Notice any kokees in tributary of the smitty?
It's a bit of a drive but you can't keep grayling off a small fly at Long Park reservoir.
(09-21-2022, 05:31 PM)tktmsa Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 01:08 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Wanted to catch some grayling, so we headed to Smith and Morehouse today.  We caught 31, and they were all grayling except for 31 pan-size rainbows. Sad  My fishing partner did lose one at the boat.  

Notice any kokees in tributary of the smitty?

No, but we didn't get close enough to look.

(09-21-2022, 06:45 PM)Panchodog Wrote: It's a bit of a drive but you can't keep grayling off a small fly at Long Park reservoir.

That is definitely, "... a bit of a drive..." from the Bountiful area.
No pity, but I'll happily make a trip with you again. Promise we'll actually make it to the lake next time.