Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did not kill them at Willard
What a difference 4 days can make. Ira and I hit the same area as Shawn and I fished on Fri and the fish just were not interested, at least compared to last week. Ira did catch a really fat cat over 24", two more cats were caught but that was it for this trip, the last one was caught in the channel just out side the North marina. We did get a few perchy type bites and we were marking fish where we fished but the wind was blowing from the North rather than the South like it did last Fri other than that conditions were the same, steady breeze all morning. We checked out several areas on the lake, even the West dike where the deepest water we found was on 13' deep, Freeway bay was 8 ft. Still lots of dead and dying shad. Guess that's fishing, can't have good trips every time.
Sorry it wasn't better.  But "Ya gotta taste the bitter to appreciate the sweet."  The occasional downer trips really make ya enjoy the gooduns more. 

What were the water temps and how murky was the water?
(09-21-2022, 01:21 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sorry it wasn't better.  But "Ya gotta taste the bitter to appreciate the sweet."  The occasional downer trips really make ya enjoy the gooduns more. 

Pat,  I was on WB yesterday also. Motored straight out of the north marina to about the middle. Set up my bait lines and with the nice light breeze out of the north, drifted almost all the way to the feed lot area.  Boated / released 4 nice Cats. Called it a day about 1200. 
Water temp on launch at 0800 was 66.7 warmed up to 69 on departure.  Water was pretty stained, couldn't see more than a few inches of my motor shaft under the surface.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-21-2022, 01:21 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sorry it wasn't better.  But "Ya gotta taste the bitter to appreciate the sweet."  The occasional downer trips really make ya enjoy the gooduns more. 

Water was still murky, just like last Fri. Water temp was 66 when we arrived and got up to 69 by the time we left around 12:30.
Thanks, guys.  Thinking about a tube trip later in the week and figured I might have to start wearing waders. 

The wind is definitely contributing to the murky conditions.  Whenever it blows it washed against the exposed mud all around the lake and clouds up the water.  In short...we need more water and less wind.
Ha ha. Sounds like you ran out of corn. Maybe try Iras giant mussel. Just joking of course. Have you guys tried trolling again? Or just been getting fliggy with it?
(09-23-2022, 02:31 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Ha ha. Sounds like you ran out of corn. Maybe try Iras giant mussel. Just joking of course. Have you guys tried trolling again? Or just been getting fliggy with it?

For many many year we tried trolling faster but it never worked for us this late in the year. When we took up fligging that all changed and we started catching cats, which is better than nothing. We use to see wipers boils years ago and we could troll faster or cast into the boils but once the boils went away, so did our success trolling faster this time of the year. I think we might be able to catch a wiper or walleye while fligging but they are few and far between, now perch are another matter, hopefully we will start catching them soon.