Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 9/22
Headed up by myself to Pineview in search of  Tiger Muskie. A little birdie told me that they weren’t charging fees during the week. Upon arrival I was the first person there and the only person there for about an hour and a half. got on the water with no issues and was trolling right away when I noticed that my okuma cold water line counter reel  was not giving the proper drag. I had a couple of other rod and real setups with me, but nothing with the line set up for the tiger musky. So off to trying to tie a double Uni knot on the water with the sunrise right in my eyes, but I was able to change the line over to another reel and got two lines out. It was an absolutely beautiful morning on the water. The storm cleared everything out and there was only a few clouds in the sky. I believe water temp was 65

[Image: C801-BEFB-441-E-478-A-A1-D9-C7939-D513100.jpg]

One of the reasons for going out was  I really wanted to try out the difference in batteries. I got the set up tube dude hooked me up with and started out at just a little over 2 miles an hour. Was seeing big fish but nothing  then I bumped up to 3.2 and the rod bent. I only got to fight it for a short time, but it was a strong fish, I lost it, not far from the boat, and this is all that was left on the hook

[Image: CE610849-EE3-E-4407-89-C0-CA36-BC9-CA8-BF.jpg]
I’m not an expert, but it appears to be a cheek scale, and it was about an inch long. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

That was the only fish that bent the rod but for my second time chasing tiger Muskie(first time was from shore )I can’t complain. The wind picked up but the red rebel handled it  like it was nothing. I was off the water by noon to go get my kids off to their sports. Tube dudes batteries were amazing and helped me fish longer and troll a lot faster.
Glad to hear that you could confirm what I was told about them not charging during the week. Too bad the catching wasn't better.  Maybe Pat can confirm what fish species that scale belongs too but my first thought it was a carp but i'm far from an expert.
The scale looks like it may have been donated by a "mirror carp".  Don't know if you've ever caught one before but they are in almost all waters where there are common carp...a common throwback mutation or whatever. 
[Image: MIRROR-CARP.jpg]

Glad the batteries are working out for you.  There should be some good life left in them.  Hope so.
(09-22-2022, 11:14 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Headed up by myself to Pineview in search of  Tiger Muskie. A little birdie told me that they weren’t charging fees during the week. Upon arrival I was the first person there and the only person there for about an hour and a half. got on the water with no issues and was trolling right away when I noticed that my okuma cold water line counter reel  was not giving the proper drag. I had a couple of other rod and real setups with me, but nothing with the line set up for the tiger musky. So off to trying to tie a double Uni knot on the water with the sunrise right in my eyes, but I was able to change the line over to another reel and got two lines out. It was an absolutely beautiful morning on the water. The storm cleared everything out and there was only a few clouds in the sky. I believe water temp was 65

One of the reasons for going out was  I really wanted to try out the difference in batteries. I got the set up tube dude hooked me up with and started out at just a little over 2 miles an hour. Was seeing big fish but nothing  then I bumped up to 3.2 and the rod bent. I only got to fight it for a short time, but it was a strong fish, I lost it, not far from the boat, and this is all that was left on the hook

I’m not an expert, but it appears to be a cheek scale, and it was about an inch long. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

That was the only fish that bent the rod but for my second time chasing tiger Muskie(first time was from shore )I can’t complain. The wind picked up but the red rebel handled it  like it was nothing. I was off the water by noon to go get my kids off to their sports. Tube dudes batteries were amazing and helped me fish longer and troll a lot faster.

Good seeing you out there yesterday, did you have any better luck this week compared to last week? Sure were a lot of lake lice out there yesterday, were you still there when that loud SK boat showed up?
(09-28-2022, 01:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 11:14 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Headed up by myself to Pineview in search of  Tiger Muskie. A little birdie told me that they weren’t charging fees during the week. Upon arrival I was the first person there and the only person there for about an hour and a half. got on the water with no issues and was trolling right away when I noticed that my okuma cold water line counter reel  was not giving the proper drag. I had a couple of other rod and real setups with me, but nothing with the line set up for the tiger musky. So off to trying to tie a double Uni knot on the water with the sunrise right in my eyes, but I was able to change the line over to another reel and got two lines out. It was an absolutely beautiful morning on the water. The storm cleared everything out and there was only a few clouds in the sky. I believe water temp was 65

Good seeing you out there yesterday, did you have any better luck this week compared to last week? Sure were a lot of lake lice out there yesterday, were you still there when that loud SK boat showed up?

My luck was no better to be honest. I did pull in a small catfish, but the fight of the mirror carp/monster tiger musky was much better. I’ve never seen a fish pick the rod up out of the D10 holders that I have.There were a few lake lice, but luckily they stayed far from me. I got on the water pretty early I would say about 30 minutes before sunrise. I know going up there chasing tiger muskie, especially since it’s my third time attempting to catch one, that I would be a fool to think that I would be highly successful. I mostly went up there because I heard of the free launch and I’ve been wanting to chase them with the new Redrebel. I used a similar set up to my lake trout and just changed up the leader to an 80 pound mono. There’s a great seminar on YouTube of the Tiger Muskie people that are in Utah and love to chase them. I’m ready to go back to the trout and walleye fisheries.

[Image: 5-CCB23-FA-277-D-4-B3-E-AC5-B-8-FEE7-B1-BCDE8.jpg]

I did have a spy trying to check out my setup 
[Image: 4-F649259-3-DFD-406-E-BFD4-D12-D0-FA4126-E.jpg]

[Image: 5-EAE697-E-43-A2-4-C6-E-B0-DA-39-F78-A16-BB02.jpg]
Sorry to hear your not connecting with a muskie, if trolling doesn't work find a long point with some weeds and cast.
We saw that hot air balloon rising right after we got on the water, should be more of them soon. Have you ever tried trolling for the TM to the right of the boat launch, that area all the way towards the dam and back on the South side is the area I have done the best when we are chasing them and the water is low.
(09-28-2022, 03:59 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Sorry to hear your not connecting with a muskie,  if trolling doesn't work  find a long point with some weeds and cast.

Thanks for the tips! Not to get into it but some days I just don’t have it in me to sit there and cast a lot and that’s why trolling works better for me. My lures were running up to 14 to 18 feet depending on how fast I was going, but I was pushing them up into 6 to 8 feet of water at times finding points. I also had a second Lure that would run more shallow, but still looking for the points. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

@wiperhunter I did not see or hear the boat you are talking about. How bad was it? Also, sorry I made you yell multiple times across the pond. My hearing isn’t so great I guess.
(09-28-2022, 03:59 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Sorry to hear your not connecting with a muskie,  if trolling doesn't work  find a long point with some weeds and cast.

No weeds in the water this time of the year, with these low water conditions.
The low water will eliminate weeds, I find those exposed islands good for me.
[Image: 16643825665617706853934155462513.jpg]
These are my first choice!!
(09-28-2022, 04:08 PM)Redrebel Wrote: @wiperhunter I did not see or hear the boat you are talking about. How bad was it? Also, sorry I made you yell multiple times across the pond. My hearing isn’t so great I guess.

It was bad, if you can imagine being at the Drag strip with no hearing protection, then put the boat in the narrows with the sounds echoing off the sides of the mountain. Those SK boats run wide open exhaust pipes, with V-8 engines, they are crazy loud. No problem about shouting out to you, I'm the same way about my hearing.
(09-28-2022, 04:30 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: The low water will eliminate weeds, I find those exposed islands good for me.
[Image: 16643825665617706853934155462513.jpg]
These are my first choice!!
Thanks!!! Hand tied or store bought?
I made these but you can find some similar online.
(09-28-2022, 07:07 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I made these but you can find some similar online.

Thanks for the direction on the lures. A lot different than what I was using. @wiperHunter thanks for the tips on spots to troll. I may not be ready for the walleye and trout fisheries just yet I need to give it one more try to get a TM. This kind of reminds me of the fishing quotes thread. Off to the store to buy more fishing supplies I go!
(09-28-2022, 11:21 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 07:07 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I made these but you can find some similar online.

Thanks for the direction on the lures. A lot different than what I was using. @wiperHunter thanks for the tips on spots to troll. I may not be ready for the walleye and trout fisheries just yet I need to give it one more try to get a TM. This kind of reminds me of the fishing quotes thread. Off to the store to buy more fishing supplies I go!

I do like trolling best, I like the Jointed Rapalas, and us the spinners for spot casting.  Most of my muskies are caught in shallow water under 10 feet and I fish close be hind the boat. I don't find them to be afraid of the boat. Run about 2 to 3 mph.