Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Yak Cattin'
Met up with Daniel Oler at Lincoln for a yak attack on the cats. Daniel is a biologist for the DWR where he focuses on bad things like Quagga Mussels and stuff like that. He has a very good knowledge base of UL and the aches and pains the old pond is going through. He is also very good fishing company.

We arrived at the Lincoln launch point near the springs at 6:30. The launch channel is history for this year, all barricaded off with big ugly rocks visible in the very shallow water. Air temp was a nippy 40 degrees at launch with a light wind, warmed up quickly with the rising sun. Water temp was 60 degrees on arrival, warmed to 65 by 11:00.

The fishin' was slow but good, mostly good. We each caught 6 or 7 cats. The best part was the size of the cats. I caught one that was a twofooter, all the others were 28-30 inches and full of fight. Best bait was wb for me, I think Daniel was using chub and wb. With the cooling temperatures the big boys should be looking for grub to see them through the winter. I have caught some of my biggest cats in Sept. and Oct. The next few weeks should produce some 30+ cats. I'll be there.

Anyway, a good day with good company. It felt good to be able to stay on the water without worrying about sunburn from 95-degree heat.

Soon, the 36 incher.

BLK
(09-23-2022, 09:46 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Met up with Daniel Oler at Lincoln for a yak attack on the cats. Daniel is a biologist for the DWR where he focuses on bad things like Quagga Mussels and stuff like that. He has a very good knowledge base of UL and the aches and pains the old pond is going through. He is also very good fishing company.

We arrived at the Lincoln launch point near the springs at 6:30. The launch channel is history for this year, all barricaded off with big ugly rocks visible in the very shallow water. Air temp was a nippy 40 degrees at launch with a light wind, warmed up quickly with the rising sun. Water temp was 60 degrees on arrival, warmed to 65 by 11:00.

The fishin' was slow but good, mostly good. We each caught 6 or 7 cats. The best part was the size of the cats. I caught one that was a twofooter, all the others were 28-30 inches and full of fight. Best bait was wb for me, I think Daniel was using chub and wb. With the cooling temperatures the big boys should be looking for grub to see them through the winter. I have caught some of my biggest cats in Sept. and Oct. The next few weeks should produce some 30+ cats. I'll be there.

Anyway, a good day with good company. It felt good to be able to stay on the water without worrying about sunburn from 95-degree heat.

Soon, the 36 incher.

BLK
Sounds like a fun day Lynn. Keep after them, I'm sure that 36"er is waiting for you, most likely when you least expect him or her.

rj
Great report Lynn, best of luck in finding them... You know if the water goes down much more, you should be able to see the back of that 36"er sticking out, so you can sight cast for him... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-23-2022, 09:46 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Met up with Daniel Oler at Lincoln for a yak attack on the cats. Daniel is a biologist for the DWR where he focuses on bad things like Quagga Mussels and stuff like that. He has a very good knowledge base of UL and the aches and pains the old pond is going through. He is also very good fishing company.

Soon, the 36 incher.

BLK
good to see your still after them, keep a eye out for treasure's in the channel when you can see the bottom, never know what youll find, throw some jigs while your waiting on those kittys, water temps getting just right.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]