Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chilly Morning East Canyon
Just from the temps last night at my home in Davis County I knew it was going to be cold up there this morning.  I saw several deer and flocks of turkeys in the fields between Morgan and the lake.  One very decent 3x4 with nice eye guards too.  No launching in the dark today.  Arrived about 730ish and was greeted by 32 degree air temp at the ramp. There were already several boats on the water. This was my first boating attempt at East Canyon since early last year. I didn't know what to expect as there have only been a few scattered reports.

I started off with standard dodger and squid combos on the downriggers and trolled up the east arm. 63 degree water temps so pretty warm still. No love and very few fish showing on the display.  Trolled out of there and back out in the main lake.  Same thing, like a desert. I trolled deep, shallow and in between.  Nada. Lots of bank tanglers, lots of passing boats, but I never saw a fish caught by anyone. I would see an occasional fish break the surface so I brought in the riggers and started flatlining some cranks.  Trolled nearly all the way into the south end and finally got smacked. It went airborne and jumped repeatedly, nice 17" bow. Trolled a little further and whammo again, a good 16" that also put on an aerial display when hooked.  Boy these fish fought hard.  Made several more passes in that area and picked up 2 more nice bows, one went in the cooler with the previous 2, the other released. Then nothing. I made several more passes and decided that maybe they had went a little deeper.  I put the cranks on the riggers but only set them at 10 and 15 ft deep.  Made one more pass and the 10 ft rod got hit, hard.  Turned out to be the fish of the day. A beautiful 21" bow with great colors and some serious shoulders on it.  It ruined one the trebles on the lure, but it was a great surprise on how hard it pulled.  In the cooler it went.  Then I tried to drum up some smallies and even slow trolled some fligs in areas where wipers are known to hang out, but got no love from either.

[Image: 20220924-102845.jpg]

[Image: 20220924-143414.jpg]

Overall a slow day on the water. At least I put a few in the boat. Pleasure boaters showed up as well and it was a little bumpy at times.

On another note, I had been lax about wiping down the boat after each use.  I had a pretty good bathtub ring around the boat that was looking pretty nasty.  I had picked up this fiberglass cleaner at Cabelas earlier in the year and decided it was time to give it a try. It said to spray it on the stain then let it sit so it can penetrate. Then to spray it off.  Well I had some pretty nasty parts on the back of the boat so I got a big soft sponge and got it wet then started rubbing the stains. Seriously, this stuff did what was advertised.  It came right off with a few wipes of the sponge.  The boat looks great now.

[Image: 20220924-143505.jpg]
Great report, glad you had some luck.
Thanks for the report and pics.  Those are some healthy looking fish.  Usually this time of year a lot of them have sores from the warm summer water temperatures.  

I haven't seen or heard anything from East Canyon for a while, so it was good to get your report.

I'm planning on giving it a go on Friday with the fly rod in the tube.
Have they pulled the docks yet?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Any signs of the algae bloom forming? EC is a great place in early spring & fall for some good action. This time of year, when its still warm the power squadron will salvage the weekends. As it cools down boats will slowly start creeping into winter storage. For now, avoid the weekends and look for the love during the week, it won't be long.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(09-24-2022, 10:45 PM)JArner Wrote: Great report, glad you had some luck.

Thanks Jim.

(09-25-2022, 01:39 AM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the report and pics.  Those are some healthy looking fish.  Usually this time of year a lot of them have sores from the warm summer water temperatures.  

I haven't seen or heard anything from East Canyon for a while, so it was good to get your report.

I'm planning on giving it a go on Friday with the fly rod in the tube.

Yes those fish were very healthy. The big bow had fillets that were color of koke fillets.

(09-25-2022, 01:07 PM)dubob Wrote: Have they pulled the docks yet?

Not yet, they were still out and in use.

(09-25-2022, 01:50 PM)Bduck Wrote: Any signs of the algae bloom forming? EC is a great place in early spring & fall for some good action. This time of year, when its still warm the power squadron will salvage the weekends. As it cools down boats will slowly start creeping into winter storage. For now, avoid the weekends and look for the love during the week, it won't be long.

The closer I got to the back of the inlet arm,  it started to look a bit green, but still not too bad.  Right now I am stuck to fishing Saturdays unless I take time off from work. I go when I can but unfortunately that is when the test of Utah is off as well.