Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Quotes
A bit quiet on the board.  So thought I would repost this little list of famous (or infamous) fishing quotes. 

I can't ever read through this...or similar works on fishing in general...without reflecting on my own reasons for fishing.  Been doing it for over 7 decades now so there must be a good reason why.

I got started by being born into a large family of anglers.  But those in my large extended family were not always fishing for sport.  In those early hardscrabble days in Idaho we fished for the table as much as for enjoyment.  Howsomever, most of us did truly enjoy the sport as well as the meals.  I know I did. 

I was "hooked" before I was six years old.  And as a kid in Idaho Falls I fished in Willow Creek...which ran through town not far from my home.  I hit it almost every day during the summer and almost always caught fish...many nice rainbows from 16 to 20 inches...from the culverts wherever the creek ran beneath a road.  A grasshopper floated back into the dark tunnels often produced a loud splash...followed by a hand over hand tussle to get the fish out of the culvert and then on to a forked willow "stringer".  Sadly...for me...Willow Creek is no more in Idaho Falls.  It is now the main tributary of Ririe Reservoir and was diverted away from my childhood fishing grounds long ago.
[Image: PAT-RAINBOW.jpg]  [Image: PAT-RAINBOW-3.jpg]

Since those early days I have  had the good fortune to have been able to travel widely and to sample the fishing in many parts of the USA...and down into Mexico...and up into Canada and Alaska.  I have also been lucky to have met and befriended many knowledgeable anglers and have benefited from the knowledge and experience they have shared with me.

I'd like to think I have learned a good bit over the years.  But I continue to learn something new...or relearn things I have forgotten...on almost every fishing trip.  These days I get much of my pleasure in fishing from continuing to develop new lures, tactics and techniques...and in sharing what I think I know...and helping others shorten their own learning curve.

Anybody else wanna share their beginnings in fishing...and what it means to them in their lives.

Attached Files
.pdf   FISHING QUOTES.pdf (Size: 19.65 KB / Downloads: 33)
Good topic Pat, with the start of hunting season, the fishing reports have for sure taken a down turn and I fear that trend will continue until ice fishing season.
 My youngest days of fishing were few but it was before 3rd grade, when I moved to Colorado is when my fishing days really took off. Lucky for me I had a similar experience as you did Pat after moving to Southern Colo, we had a river running right through town but some my first fishing trips were to a small pond right beside the elementary school. That little pond had bass, bluegill and of course trout because some of the water from the river was diverted into that pond. Because it was so shallow though, it was weed choked and very hard to fish, so years later I moved on to the river. All my years of living in that small town I mainly fished that river, catching lots of trout and a few other species, including salmon in the Fall when they moved up river to spawn. We also caught a type of sucker I believe is called a red sided sucker but we called ironside suckers. Later when I was in high school one of my Dad's friends took me on my first trip in a boat and we fished for kokanee. That trip was when I decided that was the method I wanted to use to fish. Many years later and after fishing in several states, I ended up moving here to Utah and buying my first small aluminum boat. That was over thirty years ago now and several upgrades in boats, I have never looked back on that decision to buy that first boat.
I got started in 1967 at age 5. For my 5th birthday I got a Zebco push button rod-reel combo with a cork handle and a tackel box with a mini set of Xcellite needle nose pliers that my Grandpa bought at Ahlanders hardware in Provo. Still have the rod and pliers believe it or not. My dad took me to a spot on th Provo River right behind Community Press by the power plant in the mouth of Provo Canyon. There is a diversion dam for the Union Canal and that is where I caught my first trout. I was HOOKED instantly! I would ride my bike to that spot as a youth and catch browns on my own hand tied flies fished from a spinning rod with split shot. I would also hitch a ride in to Provo Canyon any chance I could and fish other spots all the way to Deer Creek dam. My favorite, however, was going to Strawberry with Dad and Grandpa. We didn't own a boat but did own an old Mercury 9.8 outboard motor. We would head up to Clark's or Frank Madsen camp and rent a wooden boat and fish the evening and morning bite. Indian Creek flowed in to the Berry right next to Madsen Camp through a concrete spillway to prevent fish from migrating up creek. The fast flow of water created a channel throught the moss beds right below the spillway that was epic fly fishing when the sun was not up. In those days you couldn't fish until 5:00 am but in order to get your boat close enough to the spillway you needed to get in position early. About 3:30 we would row our boat and anchor right on that channel as close to indian creek as possible. The boats would stack up waiting for the opening bell. At 5:00 my dad would cast a semi-sinking fly line and tell me to count to 30 and then "bug" it back in. I will never forget the thrill of hooking a large Yellowstone Cutthroat on one of my Dad's hand tied flies and fighting it on a 9' one piece fly rod that my dad had made.  No reel used, just hand line the fly line into the bottom of the boat. That was well worth the lost sleep and shivering for an hour + waiting for fishing time. Thanks Dad and Grandpa, I can remember it like it was yesterday!
I grew up in Ogden and my first fishing experience that I can remember was fishing a little creek in Cache valley called High Creek.  In my case it was my brother who taught me how to fish.  Our father would always take the family camping every year but he was not a much of a sportsman.  I learned to fish a worm and a split shot on a spinning rod in the streams.
Our home in Ogden was only a couple of miles from the Ogden River where it ran through town.  I would get on my bike and ride over to Lorin Farr Park where there was a foot bridge and a weir across the river.  I would fish just below the weir in the plunge pool and catch small bluegill and occasional small bass.
When I got older a friend and I would get on our bikes and ride up to Pine View Reservoir in the early morning hour when it was still dark.  We would usually fish until about noon then ride back home.  Driving through that canyon now I'm not sure how we made it without getting run over.  I just told my mom we were going fishing but never exactly where. Tongue

My first trout was on a backpacking trip with my brother to Four Lake Basin in the Uintah's.  I was in junior high then and it was my first time spending time in the outdoors so far away from civilization.  I remember when we got to the lake that my brother told me to go down and catch dinner while he put up the shelter halves for our camp.  I caught a 14" cutthroat fishing with Pautzke salmon eggs under a bubble.  I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Over thirty years ago my wife bought me a diawa fly rod outfit, rod, reel, line, and a couple of flies.  She later told me that was the biggest mistake she had ever made. Big Grin  Since then I have found so much enjoyment in fly fishing and just enjoying the outdoors because of fishing.

I used to fish with my brother every year in his boat in the Twin Falls area.  I lost my brother last year and like Pat once said about his father, my brother was the first one to put a fishing pole in my hand and I was the last one to put a fishing pole in his. Sad  
I could write a novel about my fishing experiences growing up. My dad was an outdoorsman and when we went on vacation, we went camping/fishing. The Uinta's were where we woukd go and fishing the Spirit Lake area was a favorite. I leaned to fish small streams and backcountry lakes. Fly and a bubble or spoons on the lakes, drifting small piece of bait on the streams. Graduating to a fly rod years later.  I grew up in the Ogden area and near the Weber river and would walk to it. I learned a lot over the years especially how to read the water. My dad grew up in Huntsville and knew the landowners there.  We would fish all the rivers and streams up there growing up as well.  But I was exposed to other waters as well.  Willard during the heyday years of the crappie before shad were introduced.  We would fill a five gallon bucket with the 7 of us fishing. I learned to to catch big fish and how a drag works on the big carp in Pineview. Holmes Creek in Layton introduced me to Largemouth bass and floating Rapalas twitched on the surface and allowed to sit still for a bit would entice an explosive surface strike. A float tube was added when I was 13 years old and Ive been on the water ever since. Although primarily a trout fisherman growing up, I just enjoy catching fish and now chase all types of species.
So growing up i was around parents that were not the patient type fishing. They would cast and let it set 3 minutes before checking bait. We never owned a boat as we never fished but 2 days a year. Then I never fished for 15 years. One day I decided I needed a new hobby as I was on my 18th surgery I think and I was slowly losing things I could do. Well after a season or two chasing cats and reading posts here and watching YouTube I slowly learned about gear and techniques. I bought an aluminum boat to start off with and sold it to move up and then got a 17'er. Kept it a couple years and then got my current 20' ski boat converted to a fishing boat. Now one reason I got into fishing was to spend time with my kids and they are getting so busy they can't fish....go figure. Anyway I'll keep plugging along and hopefully the surgeries will stop so I can have a full season without interruption.
I grew up on the banks of Cutler reservoir and the Bear River, so as young as i can remember I was always fishing, no wonder it's been a lifetime addition... I can remember as a young kid hitting LowCost Drug store the day before the fishing opener and buying as much tackle as I could afford, which wasn't much, but I'd get a tin tackle box and a few black and white and red and white dare devils and maybe a flatfish... Those were good times getting ready for the opening day that used to be almost more important than Christmas.... the deer hunt used to be that way when I was a kid too.... Sad it's nothing like that anymore... My deer hunt opens tomorrow and I guess I'm not going this year... Sad times... Not really, just other priorities and I hope to go fish instead.... Anyway my Dad always had a fishing pole in the gun rack in the truck so when ever we could do it, we'd cast out... I remember fishing on the river bank while dad would get the pumps fueled and primed, was the best part of moving sprinklers for sure... Caught some of my best channel cats while we were getting the pump going... Not sure how fast we were at getting that job done, but made for great summers... Learned to fly fish in my early teens with a K-mart fly rod, man that was a piece of crap, but it was good enough to give me the bug and when I got 76 brookies one day at Scout camp I was really hooked... Especially since I only caught one in ten of the hits.... That was a great spot on the creek below Spirit Lake..., i was using a fly pattern I made up myself after taking a mini course in junior high where they taught me to tie flies rather than figure out my pronoun.... Also took my hunters safety class as part of those mini courses and used to get off the bus at the north end of Smithfield, run to the Implement, buy a box of shotgun shells and catch the bus coming back from the high school at the post office and catch a ride home... Sad we don't live in those times anymore... Yup those old Super X 20 gauge shells were great, I think I reloaded them over 20 times each.... Lucky I didn't blow my head off when I started putting spent primers and pieces of nails in the shells to get more reach out of my reloads... think I was running low on shot too, so tried to make it go further... didn't know at the time, that the shot was better to hold a pattern... Anyway hit my power sports mode in college ages and even then I still had my annual Henry's fork trip and summer backpack trips where fishing ruled... After I got married and got broke again, I returned to fishing as my main pass time, and discovered Steelhead and that first one totally ruined me for the rest of my life and set the addiction so strong it will never be broken... What a great fish, and after that I discovered the Wind Rivers and Alaska and I've sure been spoiled over the years to have had some wonderful trips and caught a lot of fun fish... Now the ice camping has added a whole new dimension to winter fun, it's really fun to fish all night as you camp out in a cozy bed watching the fish come in on the finders... Just so much fun to be had while chasing fish... and since you can let them go it's even better than hunting because you don't hurt the population... Well maybe sore lip them, but I hope they get over that... Hope I don't find out in the next life that the fish will be my judge and condemn me due to pain inflicted... Anyway starting to sound like I'm an old fart... guess I'm getting there... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
This one made me chuckle:

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an
organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.
(09-27-2022, 03:03 PM)iHaveReadSomeFishingBooks Wrote: This one made me chuckle:

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an
organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.

Hey...I resemble that remark.
(09-27-2022, 03:03 PM)iHaveReadSomeFishingBooks Wrote: This one made me chuckle:

Welcome to the site, i have read...., interesting username.
I grew up in SW Colorado in a large family of boys (catchinon is #2 and I am #5). Our grandfather was a fisherman extraordinaire and we learned much about fishing from him (along with a few new words...). However, my first fishing memories are of fishing farm ponds near our home. Many of our neighbors had stocked their ponds with bass or bluegill and they were nice enough to let us try our luck. The first fish I remember catching was a largemouth bass caught on a topwater frog lure.

Granddad had a small aluminum boat (Old Leaky) and we fished the local reservoir on occasion. He would regularly catch fish while I just watched my pole. He would switch sides of the boat with me and still out fished me. Other fishing trips took us to the San Juan mountains to various reservoirs, creeks, and rivers. Names like Fish Creek, West Fork, Dolores River, Crystal Creek, Joe Moore Reservoir, Jackson Gulch Reservoir, Summit Reservoir, and others invoke poignant memories. Our grandparents had a cabin on the Dolores River and I spent many a day floating a nightcrawler down stream and reeling trout and the occasional sucker back up.

I was "hooked" at an early age. And it seems to be getting worse (better?) the older I get. Thanks to my grandfather for early interest, and brothers like catchinon to inspire and challenge me, fishing has provided a lifetime of fun and enjoyment.

jack of all tackle, master of none
My earliest memory of fishing, I was living in a small community outside of the very small (at that time) town of Rescue, Calif. with my older sister and my mom. Just before starting Kindergarten in the fall of 1960, a couple of the community men took several of us boys ages 5 to 12 on a 3 day camping and fishing trip. I don't remember exactly the area we went to but I believe it was somewhere close to the American River, or maybe the Sacramento River.  We caught and ate so many trout those 3 days, I got forever turned off of trout but forever hooked on fishing. Since that first exposure to fishing, I've fished from east coast N. Carolina, Georgia, Florida back to the intermountain west thru Alabama, Texas, Arizona, and here in Utah. I've fished in England and Panama. I've deep sea fished off the coast of California, and in the Gulf of Mexico off the Yucatán Peninsula. 
I fished as a co-fisherman in a couple small local Bass Tournaments with a coworker while stationed (USAF) in south Georgia.

Most of these fishing experiences have been enjoyable even when no fish were caught.  Being in the military until 1993, and moving every few years, I followed my Dad's old adage "a boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into" so I never invested in one. It wasn't until moving here to Utah in 1999 that I decided I wasn't making anymore moves and I learned that the best way to improve my chances of catching fish, was to get out on the water in a boat. For a few years I satisfied that with renting a small boat from the recreation center on Hill AFB.  Then one long weekend we had rented a 16' and were planning to spend the weekend going to 2 or 3 different bodies of water. Our first day launch was planned for the north marina of Willard Bay. But the motor would not start. We returned to our home and I unhooked the rented boat and went boat shopping.  I finally settled on a new 2004 Lund 17' ProSport.  I kept that boat for just over 2 years and circumstances forced me to sell it.

[Image: 005b-New-Boat-3-July-2004.jpg]

In July of 2007 I knew I couldn't survive without being able to get out on the water, so I purchased a new 2007 Lund 14'. I've had that boat now over 15 years and though it isn't the biggest, fastest, or fanciest boat on the water, it floats, runs well, and gets me where I want to fish. Been lots of fish brought to net in that "Tin-Can". And because of the low water conditions that seem to happen in Utah every few years, I can still get on the water when other larger boats can't. 

[Image: 0106-side-guides.jpg]

I like to catch fish as much as the next angler, but just being outside, on the water, even with no fish caught is a very large part of my reason for going. 

[Image: 081-26-Sep-2022.jpg]  [Image: 083-Dead-Calm.jpg]   [Image: 086.jpg]

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-27-2022, 09:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Welcome to the site, i have read...., interesting username.

Ha ha well I'm pretty new honestly.  Really only got into fishing when Covid became a thing.  So I've been learning a lot the last couple years.  TubeDude actually just emailed me a couple of his write ups and I've been reading those.  I actually created an account here just so I could find a way to contact TubeDude and ask him how to buy his books.  

Other than that - I've been reading an Fly fishing book from Orvis and then Field and Stream has a great 161 tips for fishing book with great illustrations that educate you on the gist of things without a whole chapter on the qualities of the carolina rig or something super in depth.  

Had some good days learning how to fish rivers, now I'm trying to learn how to catch bigger fish in the lakes.  I fished Deer Creek on Saturday from 8-6 chasing walleye but didn't have any luck (just a couple smallmouth bass).  I'll keep learning though.
(09-28-2022, 03:53 PM)iHaveReadSomeFishingBooks Wrote: Ha ha well I'm pretty new honestly.  Really only got into fishing when Covid became a thing.  So I've been learning a lot the last couple years.  TubeDude actually just emailed me a couple of his write ups and I've been reading those.  I actually created an account here just so I could find a way to contact TubeDude and ask him how to buy his books.  

Other than that - I've been reading an Fly fishing book from Orvis and then Field and Stream has a great 161 tips for fishing book with great illustrations that educate you on the gist of things without a whole chapter on the qualities of the carolina rig or something super in depth.  

Had some good days learning how to fish rivers, now I'm trying to learn how to catch bigger fish in the lakes.  I fished Deer Creek on Saturday from 8-6 chasing walleye but didn't have any luck (just a couple smallmouth bass).  I'll keep learning though.
Good for you, I think Covid got a lot of people interested in fishing and it's a fun and relaxing sport. Lots to learn when you get a late start but BFT is a good place to learn and TubeDude is a wealth of information and always willing to help members.