Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry kokes
I see the live stream video of spawning kokanee is off line. Last time I viewed it there were few fish in the strawberry River. 
Can anyone tell us if the river is getting fish??
It was a slow start, maybe we are in trouble this year. What are you seeing in the river now
?
Its back up. While the occasional koke runs through it looks like there are way more chubs or shiners hanging out around the camera than anything. I can't imagine that being the DWR's objective goal.
(09-27-2022, 04:24 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I see the live stream video of spawning kokanee is off line. Last time I viewed it there were few fish in the strawberry River. 
It was a slow start, maybe we are in trouble this year. What are you seeing in the river now
?
I was up there Wednesday and walked up to the trap. There was probably 300 or so fish in the lanes outside. Inside the building there they had some stats written on a board. I noticed 1365 total fish with the largest being just over 24 inches.
(09-30-2022, 08:52 PM)knottyhookr Wrote:
(09-27-2022, 04:24 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I see the live stream video of spawning kokanee is off line. Last time I viewed it there were few fish in the strawberry River. 
?
I was up there Wednesday and walked up to the trap. There was probably 300 or so fish in the lanes outside. Inside the building there they had some stats written on a board. I noticed 1365 total fish with the largest being just over 24 inches.

Thanks for the info, that makes me wonder what the numbers are in a normal year, if they only have 1365 this year.
Was fly fishing Green river above the Gorge this week. Saw lots of Kokes heading upstream to spawn. More than I usually see. Maybe good news for the Gorge.
That sounds good for the gorge! I wonder if they are going to be able to get enough eggs to fully stock all the kokanee waters. Seems like a low number returning at Strawberry. It would be interesting to know what a “normal” return is. Hopefully more are still coming and it’s just a late year.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I was talking to a guy today he said the spawning numbers were way down pulse at FG. 2 year old numbers are  down
so if he is right things don't look to good.
I don't fish the berry but maybe once a year, Saturday I had one hit my 3" maniac minnow! Pretty cool catch!
[Image: 20221001-112952.jpg]
(10-03-2022, 04:57 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I don't fish the berry but maybe once a year, Saturday I had one hit my 3" maniac minnow! Pretty cool catch!

Guess they all haven't made the run up the creek yet, so maybe there is some hope more will make the run in the coming weeks. They are really aggressive this time of the year, so that is likely why it hit your M minnow.
I stopped at the strawberry fish trap today. They had just finished stripping today's run. It's still going on but considerably much less than previous years. The officer that I spoke with said the estimate so far this year is about 1.2 million eggs.
Much less so far, but they are still getting fish each morning.
I hope my pictures will show the nice 4 lb. Males that were in the trap.

[Image: 20221003-114925.jpg]

[Image: 20221003-114934.jpg]

[Image: 20221003-114956.jpg]

[Image: 20221003-115103.jpg]

I told the officers "I hope they don't plant in Jordanelle, or waste them in other places we can't boat safely " just my opinion...