Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield - Couldn't ask for a nicer day
Three of us fished Scofield today from our tubes.  We launched on the southeast side of the reservoir about 9:00 and fished until about 3:00 using our usual fly tackle.

We used medium sinking lines with size 6 and 8 bead head leeches in black/green, black/red, black/purple, and a tan/brown soft hackle with a white bead head.  We picked up one 15” rainbow, one 15” tiger trout, and the rest were cutthroats from 13” to 19” long.  The average fish was in the 17” range and in good shape.  Most of the fish were caught while stripping the line in from near the bottom.  Most of the fish that I caught were in less than 10” of water.

The water temperature was 58-62 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 3’ because of algae.  The reservoir level is at 18% full and still going down.

There were a few boats out today but very few shore anglers.  The weather couldn’t have been better.  

This was one of those days you could call it catching instead of fishing.?
[Image: P1080185.jpg]

[Image: P1080186.jpg]

[Image: P1080187.jpg]

[Image: P1080191.jpg]

[Image: P1080192.jpg]

[Image: P1080199.jpg]

[Image: P1080201.jpg]

It is sure a pretty part of the world to spend your day.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice detailed report and great pics, did you ever find and water deeper than 10 ft?
I wondered about the 10 inches myself, tough to fish that shallow, but maybe flicking a fly up against shore... Had me doing lots of guessing... Now 10 feet is a whole different fish to fry... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Wow, the size of the tails on those cutts are impressive.
Was there any sign of the plethora of other species they planted in there? See any chub schools?
Gotta love early fall fly fishing when there is generally more "catchin" days than "fishin" days!
Am I bad?  I meant to say 10' deep.

Where we were the deepest water was 16'

It was pretty surprising with the numbers of fish that we caught that none of us hooked a chub. I would think that the water is still warm enough that the chubs would still be active.  No other species besides the rainbow and tiger trout.
16 ft deep isn't too bad considering there is only 18% water left in the lake. I wonder if there are any Tiger Muskie and Wipers left in the lake, if there are, there can't be many of them and they are likely well feed. They sure seemed to have done the job they were put in there for.
(09-28-2022, 02:35 PM)joshomaru Wrote: Wow, the size of the tails on those cutts are impressive.
Was there any sign of the plethora of other species they planted in there?  See any chub schools?

I was wondering about those wide tails too, does that mean they are doing well and growing fast.
The DWR is doing a survey on Scofield in early October, I'll let you know what they find in the nets.  

Last year there were some tiger muskie that were approaching 40" but not many wipers.  The chub population was way down too.
(09-28-2022, 04:56 PM)gofish435 Wrote: The DWR is doing a survey on Scofield in early October, I'll let you know what they find in the nets.  

Last year there were some tiger muskie that were approaching 40" but not many wipers.  The chub population was way down too.

Thanks, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
There is a post on Facebook with a person that caught a couple of tank wipers just this last week out of Scofield.  I mean TANKS!
(09-28-2022, 08:06 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: There is a post on Facebook with a person that caught a couple of tank wipers just this last week out of Scofield.  I mean TANKS!
Thanks for the report.  That's good to hear.
Guess the problem with wiper is they are so good too eat, I doubt many will turn them back... Haven't paid attention, but did they keep putting more wiper in there after the initial planting? Or did they hope the one time would turn the population around enough that the cutties could keep the chub under control? Good to hear their management has seemed to work, I know there were a lot of different opinion's about this management step.. I like to see a natural control like this work out, I know the poison works too, but being able to catch a big wiper is pretty cool too... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-29-2022, 11:46 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Guess the problem with wiper is they are so good too eat, I doubt many will turn them back... Haven't paid attention, but did they keep putting more wiper in there after the initial planting?  Or did they hope the one time would turn the population around enough that the cutties could keep the chub under control? Good to hear their management has seemed to work, I know there were a lot of different opinion's about this management step.. I like to see a natural control like this work out, I know the poison works too, but being able to catch a big wiper is pretty cool too... Later J

They have been putting wipers in Scofield every year for the last five years. 

The management plan has been slow but it seems to be working and the fishing is definitely getting better.  We have not caught a chub the last two trips up there. Smile