Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shrooms
I have been trying to rid my yard of these massive white mushrooms. I've had small ones over the years which is no big deal, but these big ones are overcoming. Walking in the yard I can feel a big lump forming and about to break surface, I would dig them out. Wondering if mulching leaves from my trees every fall could be playing a part in the fungus among us. I've always seen big shrooms out in the forest floor. The past 3 maybe 4yrs is when I noticed I was growing big shrooms with this year really bad. I get a daily bag of them digging them out.

[Image: Mushroom-1.jpg]

[Image: Mushroom-2.jpg]

This is a 3lb bag I got this morning which

is daily

[Image: Mushroom-3.jpg]

[Image: Mushroom-4.jpg]

[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Are those Shrooms you can eat? If so that is a bounty. We get them too after a good rain but not every day. When you say you are mulching your leaves, are you putting those mulched leaves back into your lawn or your garden? I put leaves into my garden beds every Fall but never into my lawn and if that is what you are doing that could be what's causing the crazy shroom growth. I bury my leaves at the bottom of my garden beds, then in the Spring, I dig my garden beds up about half the depth and put manure in and cover them up again.
I have 5 Autumn Blaze trees in my backyard, 4 of them are mature. During the fall I'm busy in mulching leaves 2-3 times a week. The trees can never get into sync to drop all at once. I won't be eating these shrooms, not wanting them in the yard. If mulching leaves is causing this which I suspect, I will start bagging them. I have been mulching for a while before the garden went in.

[Image: Autumn-Blaze-1.jpg]

Here is the Autumn Blazes as you can see 1 of them

has been turning since early September 

[Image: Autumn-Blaze-2.jpg]
Thinking this 1 tree is trying to tell me we

might be seeing an early winter Confused  Huh
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I've never seen a problem mulching grass clippings back into the lawn but I think leaves are too woody and make excellent growth medium for mushroom growth, likely why they do so well out in the forest. My kids go up in the mountains in Idaho and pick mushrooms once or twice a year, the kind that cost $28 a pound in the store, wish I could ID them better to know the ones you can eat or not eat. In years back after a hot Summer, like we just had, an early snow always seem to follow, guess we will have to wait to see if that happens this year.
I’m no expert for sure, but do a bit of mushroom foraging. I avoid ones found in yard due to uncertainty of what chemicals might be applied etc. I see quite a few mushrooms in my yard and neighbors . The key to me seems to be temperature and moisture more than anything else. When the moisture and temp conditions are right mushrooms pop up. Fungus spores are almost everywhere so when the right conditions are there they pop. I don’t mulch mow my back yard I bag it, still get shrooms when wet enough. Always mulch the front get mushrooms there too, but less often it’s more sun exposed and drier. Quite a few have been popping up with recent rain storms. I haven’t watered in two weeks.
That’s my two cents worth.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I think all lawns get some mushrooms, I think Roger is saying he gets a lot more than what might be considered normal. Do you mulch leaves back into your lawn or just grass?
(09-29-2022, 04:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I've never seen a problem mulching grass clippings back into the lawn but I think leaves are too woody and make excellent growth medium for mushroom growth, likely why they do so well out in the forest. My kids go up in the mountains in Idaho and pick mushrooms once or twice a year, the kind that cost $28 a pound in the store, wish I could ID them better to know the ones you can eat or not eat. In years back after a hot Summer, like we just had, an early snow always seem to follow, guess we will have to wait to see if that happens this year.

My guess is the kids are getting Morel mushrooms - they are the best and can be easily found after there's been a previous burn. We too really like them.
(10-02-2022, 12:07 AM)jjannie Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 04:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I've never seen a problem mulching grass clippings back into the lawn but I think leaves are too woody and make excellent growth medium for mushroom growth, likely why they do so well out in the forest. My kids go up in the mountains in Idaho and pick mushrooms once or twice a year, the kind that cost $28 a pound in the store, wish I could ID them better to know the ones you can eat or not eat. In years back after a hot Summer, like we just had, an early snow always seem to follow, guess we will have to wait to see if that happens this year.

My guess is the kids are getting Morel mushrooms - they are the best and can be easily found after there's been a previous burn. We too really like them.
Yep, that is exactly what they were morels.
I do get more than what should grow, its like having a mushroom garden in my yard. Also, I wouldn't eat these with the chemicals as mentioned by Mildog. I have a lawn service that fertilizes & sprays for weed control. We have been on water restrictions like most others, haven't seen shroom growth much most of summer but when rains came this enhanced the growth. This fall I have decided to start bagging leaves along with the grass clippings. I have always bagged the clippings all growing season but not the leaves in the past.
Harrisville UT
I have three mature maples in my park strip. The previous owners of the house never deep watered the trees, so their roots run right up shallow through my front yard. My grass really struggles because of this. I also see these monster mushrooms popping up in the front yard. I think the root system of the trees has something to do with it. I don't have the same issue in my back yard.
I took a pitching wedge out with my boys last year to whack the mushrooms with. They didn't have nearly as much fun as I did. Then I hit an older one that was more dry, and saw the dusty spores bloom out. That took the fun out of that.