Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle help???
My wife ("The Champ") and I frequently fish on Deer Creek and enjoy good success, but today we found the boat launch ramp closed because the water was too low.  So, we drove on to Jordanelle. Fortunately, the water level at Jordanelle was higher (or the launch ramp goes deeper), and we were able to launch our boat.  The sky had scattered clouds, there was only a little wind, and the temperature was just right. In other words, conditions were ideal except for one thing.  We fished for over two hours with nary a nibble.  We trolled on the east side (across from the launch ramp) down to Rock Cliffs, using various rigs and techniques: a downrigger with a rainbow trout Rapala, popgear and a worm on leaded line, a sinking fly line with a black wooly bugger, etc.  Usually, these approaches produce fish, but not today at Jordanelle. As I said, we went over two hours without even a nibble.  Maybe it was the approaching storm front, maybe we just didn't know how or where to fish at Jordanelle. So I'm writing to ask for advice from experienced, successful Jordanelle anglers in the hope that the next time I go to Jordanelle I may be more successful.  Can anyone give me some guidance???

By the way, I eventually did catch one fish (if you want to call it that).  It was near the boat launch area, and it measured maybe three inches at most.  (Photo attached)  I'm sure Jordanelle can do better than that.
[Image: Jordanelle-Monster.jpg]
Hey, congrats! Looks like Jordanelle is putting out some top-notch perch!  Good thing you had that net handy... Big Grin I did pretty fair early and mid Summer for some ok rainbows and some ave.sized kokanee...rainbows seemed to be around and catchable 'til about mid July, and I stopped harassing the kokes early August to let them do their pre-spawn thing...Early I did find the rainbows along that East shoreline that you tried, but later they seemed to disappear...we caught a few closer to the front of the dam...but I think everything changed with the heat...I know you're not targeting the kokes, and it does sound like what you're dragging should be good for the 'bows....I'll likely troll there again this year, but am waiting for water temps to go down yet...Were you using a fish finder? Seeing fish? Observe water temp? Guluk..
(09-29-2022, 03:17 AM)SkinnyLynnie Wrote: My wife ("The Champ") and I frequently fish on Deer Creek and enjoy good success, but today we found the boat launch ramp closed because the water was too low.  So, we drove on to Jordanelle. Fortunately, the water level at Jordanelle was higher (or the launch ramp goes deeper), and we were able to launch our boat.  The sky had scattered clouds, there was only a little wind, and the temperature was just right. In other words, conditions were ideal except for one thing.  We fished for over two hours with nary a nibble.  We trolled on the east side (across from the launch ramp) down to Rock Cliffs, using various rigs and techniques: a downrigger with a rainbow trout Rapala, popgear and a worm on leaded line, a sinking fly line with a black wooly bugger, etc.  Usually, these approaches produce fish, but not today at Jordanelle. As I said, we went over two hours without even a nibble.  Maybe it was the approaching storm front, maybe we just didn't know how or where to fish at Jordanelle. So I'm writing to ask for advice from experienced, successful Jordanelle anglers in the hope that the next time I go to Jordanelle I may be more successful.  Can anyone give me some guidance???

By the way, I eventually did catch one fish (if you want to call it that).  It was near the boat launch area, and it measured maybe three inches at most.  (Photo attached)  I'm sure Jordanelle can do better than that.
[Image: Jordanelle-Monster.jpg]
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago but it was still in the high 90's and the water temp was 67 degrees, so I assumed it was just the warm water and oppressive heat keeping everything liplocked.  Im heading up saturday and hoping to get some interest. The most success Ive had all summer with rainbows was while trolling wedding rings and hoochies behind a dodger or mac flasher.  I may drift some minnows under the boat this time and slow things down based on your report.  Im hoping the fall cool down will get the bite going.
I haven't fished Jordy for a while but based on my Deer Creek outings recently, I think the warm water might be pushing the bows deeper than usual. Typically at Deer Creek and Jordy you should be able to find plenty of rainbows trolling at 20' +- but the last two weeks I have been targeting walleye at DC and have caught a fair number of bows right on the bottom in 35-40 feet of water. Did you try trolling deeper than usual?
(09-29-2022, 05:12 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: I haven't fished Jordy for a while but based on my Deer Creek outings recently, I think the warm water might be pushing the bows deeper than usual. Typically at Deer Creek and Jordy you should be able to find plenty of rainbows trolling at 20' +- but the last two weeks I have been targeting walleye at DC and have caught a fair number of bows right on the bottom in 35-40 feet of water. Did you try trolling deeper than usual?

Are you launching a boat @deer creek?
This time of the year I usually find bows all the way up the Rock Arm. Haven't been up there this fall though.
The Ross creek arm is another option, we usually fish there later in the Fall, say Nov time frame and do well.
(09-29-2022, 06:29 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 05:12 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: I haven't fished Jordy for a while but based on my Deer Creek outings recently, I think the warm water might be pushing the bows deeper than usual. Typically at Deer Creek and Jordy you should be able to find plenty of rainbows trolling at 20' +- but the last two weeks I have been targeting walleye at DC and have caught a fair number of bows right on the bottom in 35-40 feet of water. Did you try trolling deeper than usual?

Are you launching a boat @deer creek?

I launched the last 2 Saturdays at  the Island Ramp. Deer hunting this week but the water is falling fast. There was still water on the ramp 2 weeks ago but I had to drop the back tires of the truck off the end of the ramp to launch my 17' Crestliner. Last Saturday the ramp was totally out of the water but the boat launched before the front wheels of my truck came off the concrete. This week it looks really iffy. I saw a photo of a guy with his whole truck way back in the water. The main ramp is barricaded so you can't even get to the beach so Island is the only possibility.