Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing from a boat
Anyone still launching and fishing from a boat? With limited access with only three reservoirs nearby.
(09-30-2022, 02:26 PM)fishgiver Wrote: Anyone still launching and fishing from a boat? With limited access with only three reservoirs nearby.

Sure, we have fished Willard, Pineview, Lost creek and Rockport in the last month and East canyon and Jordanelle can be fished from a boat as well. Where did you want to try?
wiperhunter2 Wrote:
fishgiver Wrote:Anyone still launching and fishing from a boat? With limited access with only three reservoirs nearby.

Sure, we have fished Willard, Pineview, Lost creek and Rockport in the last month and East canyon and Jordanelle can be fished from a boat as well. Where did you want to try?

Don't know where to go, that's why I ask. Would like to catch a few bows maybe.
(09-30-2022, 07:03 PM)fishgiver Wrote:
wiperhunter2 Wrote:
fishgiver Wrote:Anyone still launching and fishing from a boat? With limited access with only three reservoirs nearby.

If you want to catch bows and keep them then East canyon would be your best choice. The last report I read said the average bow at EC is bigger, although the numbers are down, most other trout lakes are not doing as well, unless you want to go up to Strawberry, then it is mainly cutts with the occasional bow.
(09-30-2022, 08:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
wiperhunter2 Wrote:

If you want to catch bows and keep them then East canyon would be your best choice. The last report I read said the average bow at EC is bigger, although the numbers are down, most other trout lakes are not doing as well, unless you want to go up to Strawberry, then it is mainly cutts with the occasional bow.
I’ve never launched a boat at East Canyon and I just looked up the map. That looks like a heart attack waiting to happen trying to get back up that hill. There is a little trick to get away from the cuts at Strawberry.
(09-30-2022, 11:14 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 08:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: If you want to catch bows and keep them then East canyon would be your best choice. The last report I read said the average bow at EC is bigger, although the numbers are down, most other trout lakes are not doing as well, unless you want to go up to Strawberry, then it is mainly cutts with the occasional bow.
I’ve never launched a boat at East Canyon and I just looked up the map. That looks like a heart attack waiting to happen trying to get back up that hill. There is a little trick to get away from the cuts at Strawberry.

It's not too bad of a walk back up but in years past when the water was low they would let us park on the side of the ramp but it's possible they changed that policy by now.
I agree with Curt, EC is a great place to enjoy bow fishing in the fall. Once the lake lice have settled a lot, most of these local reservoirs can be rewarding.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I was up there today.  Caught twice as many bows as last week putting 10 in the boat.  But fishing was slow. I hooked and lost just as many as I caught.  Those bigger bows sure put on an aerial display after being hooked.  Jumping repeatedly in an attempt to throw the hook. (They're pretty good at it too!) Biggest went 17". Water is low but plenty of ramp to launch.  Courtesy docks are still in.  The walk up the ramp isn't too bad, just slow and steady and you'll be fine.
(10-01-2022, 11:45 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I was up there today.  Caught twice as many bows as last week putting 10 in the boat.  But fishing was slow. I hooked and lost just as many as I caught.  Those bigger bows sure put on an aerial display after being hooked.  Jumping repeatedly in an attempt to throw the hook. (They're pretty good at it too!) Biggest went 17". Water is low but plenty of ramp to launch.  Courtesy docks are still in.  The walk up the ramp isn't too bad, just slow and steady and you'll be fine.

No one was parked on the side of the ramp? Good to hear the catching is improving, thanks for the report.
No, all were up in the parking lot.
Please don't park on the ramp!
#1 - It's illegal and you'll be ticketed and/or towed. There's always DWR officers at EC.
#2- The EC ramp has plenty of room for dual launching and retrieving - as long as people aren't parking on it. If you can't walk up the hill to the parking lot, fish with someone who can. Think safety...

From the Utah State Parks website:

"Boat ramps are for launching and retrieving
only. Vehicles should be parked in designated
parking areas and never left unattended on
a launch ramp."
(10-03-2022, 02:14 PM)LundLefty Wrote: Please don't park on the ramp! 
#1 - It's illegal and you'll be ticketed and/or towed. There's always DWR officers at EC. 
#2- The EC ramp has plenty of room for dual launching and retrieving - as long as people aren't parking on it. If you can't walk up the hill to the parking lot, fish with someone who can. Think safety...

a launch ramp."
Thanks for the update on the rules. Might want to watch your tone on who you think can fish and  who can’t. not everyone’s like you buddy. Just because somebody can’t walk up a steep hill doesn’t mean they’re unsafe.
(10-03-2022, 02:14 PM)LundLefty Wrote: Please don't park on the ramp! 

a launch ramp."

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, when I said park on the side of the ramp, I meant off the ramp, hense on the side of the ramp. At one time it was not illegal to do that and at Echo it has always been allowed, no matter what the DWR website says. What would the problem parking beside the ramp as long as your not blocking the ramp, it usually only happens in the Fall when the water levels are down..
(09-30-2022, 11:14 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 08:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
wiperhunter2 Wrote:

It is really not to bad of a walk back up.  The concrete ramp it's self sits on top of a small peninsula so it is not as steep the surrounding part of the lake.  The east side slopes back to the beach area.  I have not launched when it is as low as it looks on the current Google maps view.  I do not remember the side pull off area so it would have been a shorter walk last time I launched there.
Jordonelle is consistintly the easiest L&R by far, IMHO.  Nice prep areas, huge wide ramp, lots of courtsy dock space and with many wakers backing off for the season not crowded.  Fishing isn't bad either.