Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beautiful Day at the Berry
(10-17-2022, 02:07 AM)Redrebel Wrote:
(10-17-2022, 01:42 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-17-2022, 01:19 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Trolling. Three way swivel near bottom presentation on front end of boat and topwater and diving cranks in the rear.

Was the three way swivel used to add weight to get the presentation deeper?

Yes Sir! Similar to the bottom bouncer but a bit more control on depth and quicker than a downrigger.

Have you ever tried using a inline banana weight or snap weights to achieve the depth you want?
(10-17-2022, 03:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-17-2022, 01:19 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Trolling. Three way swivel near bottom presentation on front end of boat and topwater and diving cranks in the rear.

Yes Sir! Similar to the bottom bouncer but a bit more control on depth and quicker than a downrigger.

Have you ever tried using a inline banana weight or snap weights to achieve the depth you want?

Not for that presentation. The 3 way swivel allows for a certain depth off the bottom. I always feel like it’s a guessing game for the banana weight and I have a downrigger setup so haven’t tried the snap weight… would be interested to see if I could get the same results though.
(10-17-2022, 12:52 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(10-17-2022, 03:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Not for that presentation. The 3 way swivel allows for a certain depth off the bottom. I always feel like it’s a guessing game for the banana weight and I have a downrigger setup so haven’t tried the snap weight… would be interested to see if I could get the same results though.

With most lures it's just a matter of getting it dialed in, no matter what weight system you use to achieve the depth you want. There is a chart for using snap weights to get your presentation to a certain depth and I think there is one for banana weights but I have not seen it. A number of years ago Stan55 showed me how to use the banana weights at Jordanelle while kokanee fishing to get down to 40 ft, using a 3 oz weight put 5 ft in front of the lure. That was my first postive experience with them, so I learned there must be a chart, I just have not seen one.  How much leader do you put between your lure and the weight on your three way swivel?
The key with that presentation is waiting to rig it until I see where the fish are hanging out. 2 1/2’ fluorocarbon leader and 3 foot length mono to 2oz weight. Constantly adjusting so presentation was 3-5 reels from dragging bottom. What’s on the hook at the end is “eyes only”.
(10-17-2022, 03:36 PM)Redrebel Wrote: The key with that presentation is waiting to rig it until I see where the fish are hanging out. 2 1/2’ fluorocarbon leader and 3 foot length mono to 2oz weight. Constantly adjusting so presentation was 3-5 reels from dragging bottom. What’s on the hook at the end is “eyes only”.

Interesting set up, I had a feeling the reason you were using this method was because of the need for that long leader on the weight.
You can find charts for trolling sinker weights. Here's a quick and dirty all at 1.5 mph:

2 oz weight 70 ft back 21 depth
90 ft back 24 depth

3 oz 70 -31 depth
90-39 depth
110- 45 depth

Leader length is up to you. I usually have 5 to 7 feet to dodger. You can use snaps weights if you prefer longer leaders. I just don't like messing with my lines if I have a Koke attached.