Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snagging Spawning Kokanee
I don't know if this is okay to post this here or not, but it does talk about snagging in Utah.

Opening Day of Kokanee Snagging on Navajo Lake, NM -
(10-08-2022, 02:38 PM)lovetofish Wrote: I don't know if this is okay to post this here or not, but it does talk about snagging in Utah.

Opening a of Kokanee Snagging on Navajo Lake, NM -

I don't see Utah ever allowing snagging for kokes because the numbers just aren't there. Utah needs to get another lake certified to take kokes from, currently there are only two lakes that are certified to trap kokes in, the Gorge and the Berry. At one time they also got them from Porcupine but they let that certification expire. It is too late this year, so next year they will likely only be planting Strawberry and the Gorge because of the lack of kokes they trap this year but in talking to Chris Penne, they could get porcupine recertified and have another source for next year if the overall numbers do not improve in the coming weeks. 
 Funny thing about this article is that I grew up just a little North West of where they are snagging. One of the rivers that feed Navajo lake runs through the town I grew up in and snagging was legal there, with no limits on the snagged kokes, this was back in the 70's. Great thread, brings back a lot of good memories.
(10-08-2022, 03:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 02:38 PM)lovetofish Wrote: I don't know if this is okay to post this here or not, but it does talk about snagging in Utah.

I don't see Utah ever allowing snagging for kokes because the numbers just aren't there. Utah needs to get another lake certified to take kokes from, currently there are only two lakes that are certified to trap kokes in, the Gorge and the Berry. At one time they also got them from Porcupine but they let that certification expire. It is too late this year, so next year they will likely only be planting Strawberry and the Gorge because of the lack of kokes they trap this year but in talking to Chris Penne, they could get porcupine recertified and have another source for next year if the overall numbers do not improve in the coming weeks. 
 Funny thing about this article is that I grew up just a little North West of where they are snagging. One of the rivers that feed Navajo lake runs through the town I grew up in and snagging was legal there, with no limits on the snagged kokes, this was back in the 70's. Great thread, brings back a lot of good memories.

Personally, I can't imagine them being very good table fare.
(10-09-2022, 01:43 AM)lovetofish Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 03:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Personally, I can't imagine them being very good table fare.

A lot of people think that but I've never had a problem with them, unless they are turning white but that does not happen until after they spawn.
(10-09-2022, 01:43 AM)lovetofish Wrote: Personally, I can't imagine them being very good table fare.
As the original article suggested, most folks pressure can them at that point in their life cycle.  You can't tell the difference between canned red kokanee caught during the spawn and the silver ones caught in the spring.  Both are excellent.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(10-09-2022, 12:33 PM)dubob Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 01:43 AM)lovetofish Wrote: Personally, I can't imagine them being very good table fare.
As the original article suggested, most folks pressure can them at that point in their life cycle.  You can't tell the difference between canned red kokanee caught during the spawn and the silver ones caught in the spring.  Both are excellent.

That could be the difference, I smoke mine first then bottle them but I do that all year, so they all taste the same.
I think snagging of any game fish is NOT FISHING.  Its SNAGGING!  I find snagging salmon wrong since many fish are hit by the snag hooks and are not caught and are wounded so bad they die before they can reproduce (and die of natural causes).  When I was a young kid in Michigan the pacific salmon were just getting going big time.  Each fall there were snaggers at the mouths of various rivers where the salmon (coho's first, then chinook and pinks) were trying to spawn.  Since it was something so novel, there were no laws against snagging.  That changed quickly when the "snaggers" started drinking and getting into fights about crossed lines, embedded hooks in other people's faces, eyes, and other body parts.  My father showed me these people doing this.  It wasn't something my father did nor did I.  The people who snagged at that time claimed the salmon would not bite since they were spawning, but of course that was a lie.  People just didn't know how to "fish" for them.  I've caught many chinook, cohos and pinks right duirng the middle of the spawning seasons using yarn flies, spawn bags, and big homemade spinners and none were snagged.  I'm glad Michigan outlawed snagging and I'm glad Utah has regulations against it too.  Any article like the one about snagging kokanee just really gets under my skin.  Usually my skin is pretty thick and I let it go, but I just could not sit idly by this time without calling out snagging as a B.S. method.  Its not "fishing", its "snagging" pure and simple.  Ok, I'll step off my soapbox now.  I just looked at my picture attached to my signature line it is of a snagged Bonneville cisco.  So I need to clarify that snagging of non-game fish and cisco are an exception to the rule and that is clearly stated in the Utah fishing regulations.  Cisco really are not able to be caught using standardized fishing techniques.  Are some cisco hit by snag hooks?  Yes, but they are quickly eaten by other fish or even eagles if they happen to float to the surface.  Salmon in most waters in the western US and even the Great Lakes region need to stocked on top of natural recruitment in order to provide viable fisheries.  Therefore, snagging salmon cuts into the natural recruitment.  It just doesn't make sense why it would be allowed in so many states.  In addition, it makes law enforcement a nightmare (I know several conservation officers who would back that statement too).
"Cisco really are not able to be caught using standardized fishing techniques." I used to think that also, until (many moons ago) I took Pat ice fishing to Bear Lake. I watched him catch several, in the mouth.
(10-10-2022, 02:07 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: "Cisco really are not able to be caught using standardized fishing techniques."  I used to think that also, until (many moons ago) I took Pat ice fishing to Bear Lake.  I watched him catch several, in the mouth.

I have also caught dozens (and witnessed others catching some too) of cisco in the mouth too, however, it was more coincidental than anything.  Cisco are very curious and attracte to lures during the spawn, so when the fish comes up to your lure to inspect things (probably thinking it might be another cisco ready to spawn) and then they get snagged in the mouth. I've seen many unique things with cisco after 31 years of observing them in shallow water or even in deeper water (up to 100') with underwater cameras and I've only seen one angler actually "catch" a cisco.  That angler did it with with 2lb test line on a #22 or #24 fly through a hole at Cisco Beach in about 3 feet of water.  He'd put the lure (drop shotted) with a short dropper to a split shot right in front of their noses.   I watched him "catch" 2 cisco in about an hour of trying.  So, it can be done, but it is extremely rare.
(10-12-2022, 01:50 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 02:07 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: "Cisco really are not able to be caught using standardized fishing techniques."  I used to think that also, until (many moons ago) I took Pat ice fishing to Bear Lake.  I watched him catch several, in the mouth.

I have also caught dozens (and witnessed others catching some too) of cisco in the mouth too, however, it was more coincidental than anything.  Cisco are very curious and attracte to lures during the spawn, so when the fish comes up to your lure to inspect things (probably thinking it might be another cisco ready to spawn) and then they get snagged in the mouth. I've seen many unique things with cisco after 31 years of observing them in shallow water or even in deeper water (up to 100') with underwater cameras and I've only seen one angler actually "catch" a cisco.  That angler did it with with 2lb test line on a #22 or #24 fly through a hole at Cisco Beach in about 3 feet of water.  He'd put the lure (drop shotted) with a short dropper to a split shot right in front of their noses.   I watched him "catch" 2 cisco in about an hour of trying.  So, it can be done, but it is extremely rare.

On the day Kent mentioned, we were fishing over the rockpile...in about 50 feet of water.  There were lots of fish present.  I was dropping down a 3/8 oz. white jigging spoon...with red spots...and a red treble hook.  I would jig it a couple of times just off the bottom and then let it sit motionless.  My rod tip would vibrate as the ciscoes attacked the lure.  I never deliberately snagged any but quite a few either snagged themselves...or actually got one of the red treble hook points inside their mouths.  On that same lure, the same day, I also caught small Bear Lake whitefish, Bonneville whitefish and a couple of cutts. 
[Image: OH-CISCO.jpg] [Image: BL-WHITEFISH.jpg]

After being told...by the Bear Lake Biologist...that the ciscos were in the throes of spawning lust...I decided to try to capitalize on that by making a special lure.  Sadly, I never got to fish those same conditions again so I never found out how well it worked...or not.
[Image: CISCO-SLUT.jpg]