Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon trip - strange happenings
Went on a sturgeon trip Tuesday through Thursday with a couple of my usual victims.  Every trip has a few odd things happen, but this trip seemed to have more than usual.

Fished our usual place on Tuesday only to be skunked.  Drove to another location on Wednesday and we caught 11 sturgeon.  

While launching we heard and felt something rubbing on the trailer as the trailer was backed down the paved ramp.  Kory investigated and discovered that the spare tire was dragging on a high point, where the ramp transitioned from the parking lot.  I have had three boats and this is the first time, I can recall, that the spare tire dragged on the ground.  Checked it out more thoroughly, at the end of the day, and found the spare tire wheel mount was broken to the point that we removed the tire and stored it in the back of the Armada.  (New mount has been ordered.)

While we were fishing a toad swam across the river (river about 75-100 yards wide with a current just over 5 mph) while we were anchored up in about in the middle.  Kory scooped it up, with his hand, right into Hue's tackle box.  The toad was placed back into the water and he continued his journey.

Having caught 11 sturgeon, on Wednesday, we were optimistic that Thursday was going to be a great day.  The day was OK, but we only caught 1 sturgeon and only missed a couple other bites.  Not sure where the sturgeon moved, but we were marking far fewer fish than we had the day before.  While we were anchored up, near where the toad had swum across the river the day before, a snake swam across the river headed the opposite direction.  Strange to experience three things that I had never experienced before up there. 

Another fun outing with great companions.
Maybe that was an animal crossing, lol. Sounds like Weds was a great day for you guys. You are lucky that spare tire carrier did not come loose as you were driving down the road.
Sounds like it's the fall migration.

Sad to hear the first spot is still so slow.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I always enjoy hearing about your sturgeon trips. I’ve only been on one that was guided, but it was amazing. I don’t know if the redrebel is set up to do that type of fishing yet, so I’m be excited to learn anything I can from you!
(10-09-2022, 02:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You are lucky that spare tire carrier did not come loose as you were driving down the road.

Not much chance of that.  We removed the tire, before driving away from the ramp, and with the tire removed minimal weight was on the damaged carrier.

(10-09-2022, 12:11 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I don’t know if the redrebel is set up to do that type of fishing yet, so I’m be excited to learn anything I can from you!

Feel free to contact me my PM.

(10-09-2022, 02:48 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Sad to hear the first spot is still so slow.

Unfortunately, the "first spot" is where you have fished for sturgeon.  The increased pressure there has definitely had an impact on the catching rate.
(10-09-2022, 01:45 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 02:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You are lucky that spare tire carrier did not come loose as you were driving down the road.

Not much chance of that.  We removed the tire, before driving away from the ramp, and with the tire removed minimal weight was on the damaged carrier.

My thought was that your spare tire carrier was already broken before you got to the ramp and heard it dragging, especially when you said it had never done it before. If it was already broken, it seems possible that it could have come loose as you were driving down the road before you got to the launch. I guess it depends on how badly it was broken but I have seen stranger things happen.
(10-09-2022, 01:45 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:

(10-09-2022, 12:11 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I don’t know if the redrebel is set up to do that type of fishing yet, so I’m be excited to learn anything I can from you!

Feel free to contact me my PM.

(10-09-2022, 02:48 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Sad to hear the first spot is still so slow.

Unfortunately, the "first spot" is where you have fished for sturgeon.  The increased pressure there has definitely had an impact on the catching rate.

That is what I afraid of. 

Thanks for the heads up.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Was there three pretty ladies wading in the shallows of the bank singing a siren song that the toad was swimming away from?
"We thought you was a toad!:
(reference- Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?)
did you see your buddy the Guide there, keep hoping people are running out of money to pay him.