Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Stuck in a Rut
Been sneaking out several days trying to find a cat for the contest, and no matter where I try or what I do all I can find is 23" cats... I've never had a year that has been so hard to catch fish over 23" as this one...  I know the cool temps will be shutting things down pretty soon, but I sure hate to admit this bad of defeat this year...  Can't believe I couldn't break 80 points, in fact, I haven't even gotten a 27" fish this year, this is my worst year in ten attempts at the contest...  But at least the fish are fighting good... Caught one last night that thought it was a rainbow or smallie, and went to the air several times on the way in... Sure was a fun fight, but it was 23" again...  Down to 18 days left in the contest and I'm afraid I let my team down... Sorry guys couldn't help this year... Baring a lottery pick, I'm afraid the north is in trouble... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(10-13-2022, 12:33 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Been sneaking out several days trying to find a cat for the contest, and no matter where I try or what I do all I can find is 23" cats... I've never had a year that has been so hard to catch fish over 23" as this one...  I know the cool temps will be shutting things down pretty soon, but I sure hate to admit this bad of defeat this year...  Can't believe I couldn't break 80 points, in fact, I haven't even gotten a 27" fish this year, this is my worst year in ten attempts at the contest...  But at least the fish are fighting good... Caught one last night that thought it was a rainbow or smallie, and went to the air several times on the way in... Sure was a fun fight, but it was 23" again...  Down to 18 days left in the contest and I'm afraid I let my team down... Sorry guys couldn't help this year... Baring a lottery pick, I'm afraid the north is in trouble... Later J

That's too bad Jeff, hopefully the catching will improve for you. Is your farming season about over?
Hey Curt, yes the farming is starting to wrap up for the year... I have one more field of my hay and one for the neighbor to bale and haul and then I think I'll be done... Saturday is the last day at the farmers market for the year, so other than picking the last apples and getting some cider pressed, I think I'm almost to where I can start fishing without having to sneak off and do it... Been a busy summer, now I need to get back to work on the greenhouse and get it ready for winter... Hopefully that will go okay once i get to focus on it, boy sometimes I wish I didn't get myself into so many things at the same time... I'll have to keep that in mind... Later Jeff
(10-14-2022, 12:29 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Curt, yes the farming is starting to wrap up for the year... I have one more field of my hay and one for the neighbor to bale and haul and then I think I'll be done... Saturday is the last day at the farmers market for the year, so other than picking the last apples and getting some cider pressed, I think I'm almost to where I can start fishing without having to sneak off and do it...  Been a busy summer, now I need to get back to work on the greenhouse and get it ready for winter... Hopefully that will go okay once i get to focus on it, boy sometimes I wish I didn't get myself into so many things at the same time... I'll have to keep that in mind... Later Jeff

Sorry to get off topic but we never heard back from you on how that new Green house turned out, did you get it finished and get it going this year?
(10-14-2022, 12:29 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Curt, yes the farming is starting to wrap up for the year... I have one more field of my hay and one for the neighbor to bale and haul and then I think I'll be done... Saturday is the last day at the farmers market for the year, so other than picking the last apples and getting some cider pressed, I think I'm almost to where I can start fishing without having to sneak off and do it...  Been a busy summer, now I need to get back to work on the greenhouse and get it ready for winter... Hopefully that will go okay once i get to focus on it, boy sometimes I wish I didn't get myself into so many things at the same time... I'll have to keep that in mind... Later Jeff

Now that the wedding is over I can come up and help with the Greenhouse just let me know when you need the help.  Besides I want to see the puppies!!
(10-14-2022, 01:45 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Sorry to get off topic but we never heard back from you on how that new Green house turned out, did you get it finished and get it going this year?
Hey Curt,
We got the frame up, but haven't gotten the end walls and plastic over the GH yet, so now I'm almost done farming, I plan on getting back to work on things... I think I'll take some leave this week and try and get the end walls all framed and ready to go.  Then I think it's on to skinning it with the plastic... So I'm getting there slowly... Hope to have things ready to go for next spring planting... Hard to do six things at the same time, but now the market and most of the farming is done for now, I should be able to start making some progress again... Sure hope to anyway... Looking forward to seeing what this thing can do to help extend the seasons... We got a kill frost last Friday, so our season of veggies has ended for this year, but it was good one and went a lot longer than usual for Cache Valley... Guess we may have some root veggies left to harvest, but we're mostly done so that's a great feeling... Hoping fishing will be possible soon... Later J

(10-14-2022, 10:10 PM)big_griggs Wrote:

Now that the wedding is over I can come up and help with the Greenhouse just let me know when you need the help.  Besides I want to see the puppies!!

Hey Greg, nice to have big events taken care of... yup you'll have to come see the pups, they are starting to get cute... Afraid the weather report for the weekend is sounding like rain and possibly snow, so may not be the best time to work on the GH, but we'll see where I get through the week, might be time to put plastic on the end walls... Guess I need to read a step or two ahead in the directions... Later Jeff