Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay, beautiful day and a bump
Been fishing WB from the north marina for about 2 months, couple days a week on average. My daily catfish catch has averaged 3 to 6 fish per day. Not gonna post all the photos, one Willard Cat looks pretty much like another one. They have all been averaging 20-22 inches and I've kept several to restock my freezer for the upcoming winter, but I would guess I've released about 85% of the ones caught. 
Just been enjoying the last few weeks of great weather and few to none of the power squadron.  Several days I've had the whole bay to myself with the exception of a few anglers hunting for Perch just outside the north marina channel. 
I think I may have seen wiperhunter2 and his fishing partner once or twice, but was at a distance, I couldn't be sure. May have seen Redrebel out with his whole family a few days ago.  

But today was a little different. Launched just as there was enough daylight to see good.  Got out to my mid-way point directly out of the channel. Had a very light breeze blowing from north west-ish to south-east-ish. Set my lines out and kicked back with a fresh mug of coffee and a perfect drift speed of .35 mph.  Got my first cookie cutter cat.  Hooked up on 3 more Cats slow drifting towards the feed lot area. 

[Image: 0106-18-Oct-2022.jpg]    [Image: 0107.jpg]   [Image: 0108.jpg]   [Image: 0109.jpg]   [Image: 0110.jpg]

About 1100 a.m. the breeze died away to almost dead calm. I was 3/4 of the way between the north marina and the feed lot and kind of edging east towards Freeway bay.  Still had just enough drift to keep  my bait lines out and slow bouncing.  Almost as soon as the breeze died, the rod in the front holder bent over and drag started screaming out.  A fairly fat, bad attitude Cat took off heading north, parallel to my boat and crossed under my line that was out the back holder.  I got it slowed down, and was able to reel it in under the other line without causing a tangle. Got it netted and into the boat. Didn't weigh it but because it was bigger than most of the other cats I caught out at WB this year, I did measure it.  It does give me a 4 point bump on the Cat contest. (photo posted in the contest forum). 
With my last piece of bait, I was able to hook up and boat one last Cat.  Called it a day at 1200 and was off the water by 1230. 

[Image: 0112.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(10-18-2022, 08:43 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Been fishing WB from the north marina for about 2 months, couple days a week on average. My daily catfish catch has averaged 3 to 6 fish per day. Not gonna post all the photos, one Willard Cat looks pretty much like another one. They have all been averaging 20-22 inches and I've kept several to restock my freezer for the upcoming winter, but I would guess I've released about 85% of the ones caught. 
Just been enjoying the last few weeks of great weather and few to none of the power squadron.  Several days I've had the whole bay to myself with the exception of a few anglers hunting for Perch just outside the north marina channel. 
I think I may have seen wiperhunter2 and his fishing partner once or twice, but was at a distance, I couldn't be sure. May have seen Redrebel out with his whole family a few days ago.  

But today was a little different. Launched just as there was enough daylight to see good.  Got out to my mid-way point directly out of the channel. Had a very light breeze blowing from north west-ish to south-east-ish. Set my lines out and kicked back with a fresh mug of coffee and a perfect drift speed of .35 mph.  Got my first cookie cutter cat.  Hooked up on 3 more Cats slow drifting towards the feed lot area. 

[Image: 0106-18-Oct-2022.jpg]    [Image: 0107.jpg]   [Image: 0108.jpg]   [Image: 0109.jpg]   [Image: 0110.jpg]

About 1100 a.m. the breeze died away to almost dead calm. I was 3/4 of the way between the north marina and the feed lot and kind of edging east towards Freeway bay.  Still had just enough drift to keep  my bait lines out and slow bouncing.  Almost as soon as the breeze died, the rod in the front holder bent over and drag started screaming out.  A fairly fat, bad attitude Cat took off heading north, parallel to my boat and crossed under my line that was out the back holder.  I got it slowed down, and was able to reel it in under the other line without causing a tangle. Got it netted and into the boat. Didn't weigh it but because it was bigger than most of the other cats I caught out at WB this year, I did measure it.  It does give me a 4 point bump on the Cat contest. (photo posted in the contest forum). 
With my last piece of bait, I was able to hook up and boat one last Cat.  Called it a day at 1200 and was off the water by 1230. 

[Image: 0112.jpg]

Thanks for posting.  It seams the cats have been there all year.
  How have you done on the eyes and wipers this year?  
I had a nice trip to Rockport for 10 inch perch. Made a nice pot of "pig out chowder "  to share with the family. Do the perch fisherman at willard get some good fish?
[Image: 20221013-090103.jpg]
(10-18-2022, 09:33 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Thanks for posting.  It seams the cats have been there all year.
  How have you done on the eyes and wipers this year?  
I had a nice trip to Rockport for 10 inch perch. Made a nice pot of "pig out chowder "  to share with the family. Do the perch fisherman at Willard get some good fish?

[Image: 20221013-090103.jpg]

I've not been targeting Perch, and haven't caught a Wiper in almost 2 years.  With the lower water level, and nice weather the past couple months and being able to get on the water at Willard during the week, I've been able to just do quiet peaceful drifts with bait, and boat many Cats, even though I've release about 90% of my catch.   There have been several anglers fishing just outside the north marina channel, I assume that were working for Perch, but don't know how they have done. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool