Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Thoughts on Utah lake Cats
This year the Channel Cat Fishing has been pretty good at Utah Lake the fish have been between 22"-30". Really nice big healthy fish. We have not caught any in the 15"-22" range. I am wondering if the lake is missing some of the smaller year class fish or am I just not catching them? What do you guys that have fish catfish for years think about this? Something to be concerned about or not.
[Image: IMG-0016.jpg]
I have not observed many small cats for several years.  In past years there were areas in which most of the action was on cats from 12 to 18".  Under normal circumstances...and with average success in spawning...there should always be good numbers of cats in all size ranges...SHOULD BE. 

Not sure what the reason might be for an apparent lack of juvenile cats.  Poor spawning and recruitment?  Lack of food during their first months of life?  Heavy predation on the young by bigger fish?   I will address an inquiry to Chris Crockett of the Springville office of DWR and hope he can provide some insight.

Edit: Got a return email from Chris...out of town for a few days but will reply when he returns.
I've been fishing UL for four years. I kept track three years ago (caught over 400 cats) and they averaged 23.5". This year I haven't caught many under 24" especially this fall. I just assumed that the techniques we use for the big fish just don't work for the smaller ones.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(10-22-2022, 06:41 PM)catchinon Wrote: I've been fishing UL for four years. I kept track three years ago (caught over 400 cats) and they averaged 23.5". This year I haven't caught many under 24" especially this fall. I just assumed that the techniques we use for the big fish just don't work for the smaller ones.

True, you will usually catch more small cats on smaller baits...or the small jigs fished for white bass...if they are present.  And the small ones will peck at larger baits even though they can't get the larger hooks in their mouths.  However, the small ones have just not been showing up...either as incidental catches or as pesky bait stealers.

[Image: SPOTTED-JIG-CHOMPER.jpg]