Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield before the weather goes south
I decided that since the weather was turning cold and wet that I better get in another trip Scofield.
I launched my tube on the east side about 10:00 and fished until about 3:30.  I used medium sink line with a size 8 bead head black leech and a size 8 bead head black/orange/pearl crystal bugger.  I fished the first hour without so much as a sniff.  I'm not sure whether it was the location, the time of day, or the way I was holding my mouth, but the fishing really picked up.  I picked up two tiger trout and the rest were cutthroats.  Every one of the fish were in the slot.  I was trying to catch a rainbow or two for the family but that didn't happen.

The water temperature was 51-52 degrees and the visibility in the water of only about 3' because of the algae.  The reservoir level is down to 15% full and still going down.

There were a few shore anglers, a half dozen boats, and a duck hunter while I was there.

The fishing should only get better once the algae settles out if there is still any water left. Dodgy

[Image: P1080297.jpg]

[Image: P1080299.jpg]

[Image: P1080301.jpg]

[Image: P1080304.jpg]

[Image: P1080306.jpg]

I have never fished Schofield Reservoir, I need to put that on my trip list. 
As always, great report and pics. The boat ramp must go way down to the bottom of the lake, if the lake is that low and people are still launching boats. Have you ever seen the lake this low before?
(10-22-2022, 10:34 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: As always, great report and pics. The boat ramp must go way down to the bottom of the lake, if the lake is that low and people are still launching boats.  Have you ever seen the lake this low before?
In 2016 and 2017 it was slightly lower than it is now, but it is still going down.  The water users are still drawing almost 50 cfs out of the reservoir now.  I guess they figure they can get another 1/4" out of their alfalfa. Big Grin
(10-22-2022, 04:18 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 10:34 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: As always, great report and pics. The boat ramp must go way down to the bottom of the lake, if the lake is that low and people are still launching boats.  Have you ever seen the lake this low before?
In 2016 and 2017 it was slightly lower than it is now, but it is still going down.  The water users are still drawing almost 50 cfs out of the reservoir now.  I guess they figure they can get another 1/4" out of their alfalfa. Big Grin

Maybe they were correct up until today, with the lack of warming temps and the shorter days, I think they are about done using that water for
alfalfa, or at least you would think Undecided
The DWR told me last week that the reason they are still releasinng water from Scofield is that trout unlimited bought water shares and are requiring they release 50 cfs to keep water in the river below the dam
(10-27-2022, 01:32 PM)dpdenny Wrote: The DWR told me last week that the reason they are still releasinng water from Scofield is that trout unlimited bought water shares and are requiring they release 50 cfs to keep water in the river below the dam

Those down stream fish need water, so that isn't a bad thing but I wonder if they could get by with less Undecided, say 25 to 35 cfs Undecided
(10-27-2022, 01:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 01:32 PM)dpdenny Wrote: The DWR told me last week that the reason they are still releasinng water from Scofield is that trout unlimited bought water shares and are requiring they release 50 cfs to keep water in the river below the dam

Those down stream fish need water, so that isn't a bad thing but I wonder if they could get by with less Undecided, say 25 to 35 cfs Undecided

The DWR & TU have been trying for years to purchase water out of Scofield for an instream minimum flow through the winter.  I haven't heard of that happening and I see on the BOR website today that the water has been shut off.
I did a half a dozen Fishing trips up there during Aug and Sept getting my limit of Rainbows and catching lots of Cutts 16-18inch for fun. after the water skiers left Deer Creek I went back to fishing there. Loved Scofield this year on my Kayak though, always had the place to my self during the week it seemed.
(10-29-2022, 04:28 PM)Blueboy22 Wrote: I did a half a dozen Fishing trips up there during Aug and Sept getting my limit of Rainbows and catching lots of Cutts 16-18inch for fun. after the water skiers left Deer Creek I went back to fishing there. Loved Scofield this year on my Kayak though, always had the place to my self during the week it seemed.
Thanks for the report.  We will be heading to Deer Creek when the lakes down here freeze over.  That is a fun place in the winter in the tube since most years it never completely caps.

The fishing at Scofield has been steadily improving since the introduction of some more predators.

I heard from the DWR today that Trout Unlimited had finally been able to purchase some Scofield water shares to keep 3 cfs going down Lower Fish Creek through the winter months.

That is great news for the stream. Smile
(11-02-2022, 12:30 AM)gofish435 Wrote:

I heard from the DWR today that Trout Unlimited had finally been able to purchase some Scofield water shares to keep 3 cfs going down Lower Fish Creek through the winter months.

3 cfs doesn't seem like much, is it enough to keep the fish alive during the Winter?
(11-02-2022, 12:39 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 12:30 AM)gofish435 Wrote:

3 cfs doesn't seem like much, is it enough to keep the fish alive during the Winter?

There are some springs that feed the creek downstream from the dam that have helped keep the lower portion of the stream alive.  It's not much but it's taken over twenty years to get at least some water flowing through the upper portion of the creek during the winter.

Lower Fish Creek used to be a great fishery years ago when the valve at the dam would not close all the way.  You would always hear of someone catching some nice browns during the year. Wink
OK, that makes sense.