Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek mussels?
I took a drive to Strawberry today to look at conditions (see Strawberry launchable thread) and stopped by Deer Creek on the way home. I walked down the ramp and talked to a couple guys that were retrieving their boat. They had launched on the gravel about 30' south of the Island Marina. Had some nice rainbows in the bucket. 
After they left, I walked along the shore and started seeing quite a few shells at the water line. It is Friday afternoon so I can't talk to DNR today, but they look similar to the pictures I see when I google Zebra Mussels. I brought a couple back and will talk with them on Monday. Sure hope they are not the invasive mussels. Attached is a photo.
[Image: Mussels.jpg]
I saw some similar looking shells in the marina at Utah Lake State Park a month or so ago. I emailed pictures to Chis Crockett at the DWR and he said he thought they were Asian Clams. The pronounced ridges on the shells and general shape look about the same to me.
Thanks, hope these are the same
I agree with Piscophilic, Willard has the same thing. I talked to Chris Penne about them, he said they are naturally occurring in all Utah waters.
I noticed them in there a few years ago while marking the river channels a few years ago while the water was down.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
That’s good. I probably would not have noticed them if it were not for all the attention given lately to the invasive mussels.