Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropper Jigs & Wire Bending
In response to a few requests I have just completed a couple of new "epistles".  One is on the increasingly popular "dropper jigs"...like the Hali and the Johnson Snare Spoons.  The other is on working with wire to make your own spinner lures and dropper jigs, etc. 

My aim is not to sell more of the stuff I make, but to help fellow tackle tinkerers to expand their range of options.  Over the years I have had quite a few guys stop by my tackletorium for a quick lesson on how to make wire goodies without having to blow $100 on fancy wire bending equipment.   Couple of simple tools and easy to learn techniques and you got it wired.  But, as always, anyone who would rather see it done in person is welcome to visit my playroom.  Also, I have a video on YouTube MAKE YOUR OWN SPINNER LURES . (Link)  That shows some of the basics of working with wire.

I will also be making a video on the making and use of the dropper jigs...both for ice fishing and open water.   And it will include more closeup shots of the wire bending techniques needed.   Watch for the big splash announcement of it's release some time in the future.

Attached Files
.pdf   DROPPER JIGS.pdf (Size: 2.49 MB / Downloads: 99)
.pdf   WORKING WITH WIRE.pdf (Size: 3.26 MB / Downloads: 66)
Great stuff Pat, I've been doing a little of this the last couple years and it's fun and effective... Nice info to make available... PS.. the pink twirly jig I got from you last week delivered my first ice catch of the year.... 9.5" perch and a 7.5"er later on... What company do you buy most of your wire from? I need to pick up a little of that and some blades and such.. Thanks Jeff

Oh where is a good paint source as well? J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-22-2022, 12:57 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Great stuff Pat, I've been doing a little of this the last couple years and it's fun and effective... Nice info to make available... PS.. the pink twirly jig I got from you last week delivered my first ice catch of the year.... 9.5" perch and a 7.5"er later on... What company do you buy most of your wire from?  I need to pick up a little of that and some blades and such..  Thanks Jeff

Oh where is a good paint source as well?  J
Thanks.  Glad it's helpful.  I get most of my supplies...hooks, paint, wire, beads, blades, etc. from BARLOWS. 
They have the most complete supply of almost everything I need...and usually at the best prices available.  Costs have gone up in the last year and shipping is always at least $8.95 so it is wise to place a larger order to reduce the shipping cost per item.  And I will be happy to offer suggestions on the beads and blades you might want to start getting.  They ain't all the same.  In fact, I might suggest you make another visit to my playroom before you put together any order.  I can show you what I use and how I set everything up for maximum efficiency.  In the meantime you can go online and get them to send you a free catalog.  Then I can go through it with you and you can make notes.

I'm also attaching some info on painting, glittering and making eyes if that helps.

Attached Files
.pdf   COLORS...PAINTS, GLITTERS & EYES.pdf (Size: 2.02 MB / Downloads: 26)
.pdf   PAINTING JIG HEADS.pdf (Size: 113.05 KB / Downloads: 19)
.pdf   GLITTER PAINTING.pdf (Size: 756.5 KB / Downloads: 13)
.pdf   EYEING FLIES AND LURES.pdf (Size: 24.31 KB / Downloads: 17)
Pat, that's some great stuff, I need to keep that ready a reference when I get ready to try it... Thank you for recording your learning to help us short cut the process... Hopefully this will help us be successful before we quit from frustration... Thanks Jeff
I love these tutorials, Pat. I keep printing them, and passing tm on to relatives, etc.

I'm just as happy to use small swivels to make the chains. Far be it from me, but something about the stiffness of the wires when I did it your way gave me trouble with hook-ups. I just like the flexible attachment better over all, but of course the wire has a lot more applications, can be used in all different lengths, etc....

I know I SHOULD buy better supplies, but I'm often making jig and lures in small quantity and short notice, and even the Dollar Store or craft store has a lot of the same stuff, IF you know what characteristics to look for, and I can replicate some of your designs quite well. For instance, bare floral wire is a good substitute for some things you do with your jigs, but a terrible substitute for other applications.

We should have a contest one here just for fun, where people design and make their own lures from the Dollar Store (minus hooks and lead) and see what everybody comes up with. I've made an effective version of a Flig with double sided foam tape and little applique gems kids use to add bling to their phone cases. Probably not AS effective, but necessity is a mother.
(11-27-2022, 07:35 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I love these tutorials, Pat.  I keep printing them, and passing tm on to relatives, etc.

I'm just as happy to use small swivels to make the chains.  Far be it from me, but something about the stiffness of the wires when I did it your way gave me trouble with hook-ups.  I just like the flexible attachment better over all, but of course the wire has a lot more applications, can be used in all different lengths, etc....

I know I SHOULD buy better supplies, but I'm often making jig and lures in small quantity and short notice, and even the Dollar Store or craft store has a lot of the same stuff, IF you know what characteristics to look for, and I can replicate some of your designs quite well.  For instance, bare floral wire is a good substitute for some things you do with your jigs, but a terrible substitute for other applications. 

We should have a contest one here just for fun, where people design and make their own lures from the Dollar Store (minus hooks and lead)  and see what everybody comes up with.  I've made an effective version of a Flig with double sided foam tape and little applique gems kids use to add bling to their phone cases.  Probably not AS effective, but necessity is a mother.
Thanks.  Glad you find my "Heloise Hints" helpful.  When I post something it is not to show off how great I am, but to stimulate the creativity and ambition in others to be able to make their own goodies.  I know and appreciate the local and plentiful resources provided by hobby and craft stores.  Even though many of the materials I need and use are available only through storefront or online tackle suppliers, I still acquire a lot of goodies from Hobby Lobby and others of that ilk. 

I have been "messin' wit' it" and making a lot of my own flies and lures for several decades (too many).  I readily admit that some of my ideas were better in my dreams at 3 am than they turned out to be when introduced to the fishies.  But I am semi proud that I have also come up with some really good ideas...and I almost never fish with commercially made lures anymore.  When the stuff you make works better than store bought it provides a double dose of enjoys.  And...as lotsa fish of lotsa species have reinforced to me...it don't always gotta be purty to catch fish. 

So keep on keepin' on. And never apologize for the source of your materials...or the final appearance of your own creations.  Just putting in the time and effort to create your own goodies provides a lot of stimulation and entertainment.  Even better when your creations catch fish.  But...as with many things in life...it is more about the journey than the destination.
Pat, why do you prefer a rigid wire dropper to either a mono or chain dropper? Enjoy the info !! Need to schedule a time to come harass you, have a great one !!
Pat, I shouldn't ask this question, but, how do you do your lead heads on jigs and such? Do you have a big pot of lead or do you use a small scale smelter? Not sure I've seen your lead write up, do you have one? Thanks Jeff
(11-28-2022, 05:01 PM)Therapist Wrote: Pat, why do you prefer a rigid wire dropper to either a mono or chain dropper?  Enjoy the info !!  Need to schedule a time to come harass you,  have a great one !!

I bit the money bullet and invested in some Hali jigs many years ago.  Proved to myself that the slightly remote bait did get bit better at times.  But quickly discovered the potential for disaster if a large fish with teeth chomped on the flimly wire meant for perch.  Lost a big toothy brown under the ice at Deer Creek one time...and lost a walleye on another trip to Starvation.  Only lost the hooks and didn't have any chain to replace what was lost, so I tried some fine wire...and it worked.  Figured out pretty quickly that I could make all kinds of "dropper lures" using the thin wire...at a lot less $$$ than the spendy jigs from Finland.  

Since then I have made a lot of different sizes, shapes and colors of the dropper jigs...using wire.  And I have caught just about every species in Utah on them...both under the ice and in open water.  To me it is a proven concept and the wire is inexpensive, easily available, stronger and less easily damaged...and the fish don't seem to even notice it.    [b]Mono?  I have used mono and it works fine...but not demonstrably better than wire and is more prone to tangling up on the line.  It also develops memory coils and does not always hold straight...decreasing the sensitivity and strike detection.[/b]

Springbuck mentioned that he had poorer hookup percentage using wire.  There are some variables...like hook type and size, method of attachment, basic hook-setting skills, fish aggressiveness, bait used and method of attachment to the hook, etc.  But my experience is exactly the opposite.  On my recent outings for perch on Willard I have had a very high percentage of solid takes that turned into hookups.  True, there were some bumps and pecks that did not get stuck...but whenever a fish climbed on they usually got hooked.  And it was about the same for my early "Holy Jig" models on ice.   You know you are always welcome in my playroom.  It would be good to see you again.  Just give me at least a few minutes warning to get rid of the girls and toss out all the empties.

(11-28-2022, 05:33 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Pat, I shouldn't ask this question, but, how do you do your lead heads on jigs and such?  Do you have a big pot of lead or do you use a small scale smelter?  Not sure I've seen your lead write up, do you have one?  Thanks Jeff
Silly boy.  Of course I have a writeup on the subject...see attached.  I also put together an amateurish video at LINK TO JIG MAKING VIDEO

The short answer is that I do have a lead melter...a Lee Production Pot that holds up to 10# of lead and dispenses it precisely with a handle pour release.  Much better than using a ladle to dip out of a melting pot.  At one time I had well over 50 different jig molds.  I have downloaded some of them to my son in California and sold a few others to local tacklecrafters who needed them more than I do now.  But I still have over 25 jig molds.

Attached Files
.pdf   MAKING LEAD JIGS & LURES.pdf (Size: 1.94 MB / Downloads: 10)
Thanks Pat, that's great stuff, got it all studied out already... I used to cast my own lead bullets for my muzzleloader, but my gear was a little clunky for doing small jigs... You're examples are really good... Hard part would be to find the right shapes... I like your dart head jigs, but I'd also like one that balances the presentation horizontally when fished over head.... Anyway thank you very much... Jeff
(11-28-2022, 08:22 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks Pat, that's great stuff, got it all studied out already... I used to cast my own lead bullets for my muzzleloader, but my gear was a little clunky for doing small jigs... You're examples are really good... Hard part would be to find the right shapes... I like your dart head jigs, but I'd also like one that balances the presentation horizontally when fished over head.... Anyway thank you very much... Jeff

Here's a piece on molds and the jigs you can make with them.  The dart head is a pretty good horizontal hold jig head.  But the best are the Ultra Minnow.  The 1/8 oz. on a size 6 hook is money.   Also, I make some "Flat Rinkees" by flattening some of the little crappie tube heads...after relocating the head to the middle for balance.  They are perfect horizontal hold.
[Image: ULTRA-MINNOW-JIGS.jpg] [Image: FLAT-RINKEE-OPTIONS.jpg]  [Image: RINKEES.jpg]

Attached Files
.pdf   MOLDS & CREATIONS.pdf (Size: 4.4 MB / Downloads: 6)