Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the site.
Thought I would get on the site before ice fishing starts. I like to fish for anything that is biting. Want to find some perch through the ice this year.
Welcome and thanks for posting. Where do you like to ice fish?
(11-23-2022, 07:35 PM)catchandfillet Wrote: Thought I would get on the site before ice fishing starts. I like to fish for anything that is biting. Want to find some perch through the ice this year.

Welcome to the site. Lots of places in Northern Utah to catch perch, some better than others. It really depend on how far you want to travel but here is a list that I'm aware of and I'm sure there are more.
Utah lake
Deer creek
Jordanelle
Rockport
Echo
Pineview
Hyrum
Newton
Willard
Starvation
Welcome to the site, don't know if you've been watching posts long enough to have seen that Pikeman is putting a perch fest together in January at Rockport... Sorry I'm fuzzy on the details of when but should be a fun get together to catch some fish and eat some treats and meet a few BFT'ers and other fish hounds... Where are you from? Just curious so our recommendations will be more applicable to your home turf... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-23-2022, 08:17 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Welcome and thanks for posting.  Where do you like to ice fish?

I used to fish Pineview, but now I fish Mantua and Hyrum.

(11-23-2022, 08:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 07:35 PM)catchandfillet Wrote: Thought I would get on the site before ice fishing starts. I like to fish for anything that is biting. Want to find some perch through the ice this year.

Welcome to the site. Lots of places in Northern Utah to catch perch, some better than others. It really depend on how far you want to travel but here is a list that I'm aware of and I'm sure there are more.
Utah lake
Deer creek
Jordanelle
Rockport
Echo
Pineview
Hyrum
Newton
Willard
Starvation

I have fished several of the local reservoirs, I target perch, walleye and bass. 

(11-24-2022, 02:46 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Welcome to the site, don't know if you've been watching posts long enough to have seen that Pikeman is putting a perch fest together in January at Rockport... Sorry I'm fuzzy on the details of when but should be a fun get together to catch some fish and eat some treats and meet a few BFT'ers and other fish hounds... Where are you from?  Just curious so our recommendations will be more applicable to your home turf... Later J

I have been in Utah for 22 years, moved here from CA. I mostly fished for bass and panfish in the Sacramento area. I like to target Walleye at Willard in the spring. Used to catch lots of perch through the ice at Pineview, but the access is tough in the winter. I spend a lot of time at Mantua on the ice, but haven't done well the past 2 years. I may give Hyrum a try after ice on.
Welcome to the site. Still trying to figure out perch cycles and patterns myself. You should sign up for the Ice Challenge (see Utah Contests page). I do it as a motivator to keep fishing and to get some variety in species and locations.

jack of all tackle, master of none
Sounds like you're on my end of the state, and I'm hoping for better perch out of Hyrum myself this year... I didn't do very well last winter, the year before was good for big fish, but it's seemed to really crash... Hopefully this year will be a little better... You might also try Newton, it's not big fish, but there are some perch there to keep you entertained... Since the water was so low for a couple years the numbers at Newton are a lot less this year than last, but the size is a little better... Instead of 7", I'm seeing some 9" this year... Anyway good to have you on line with us, and looking forward to your trip reports... Later Jeff
Anyone know if the ice is thick enough on Hyrum or Mantua to start dropping lines?
Hyrum is still open water. Mantua is at the high risk level, it was ok then it melted to danger level and it’s just starting to refreeze but I haven’t checked it yet. So if you try make sure you check as you go it’s never very consistent in thickness so good to use a spud to try and stay safe.