Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Strawberry scouting trip
I was really looking forward to Kokanee season opening back up and with the recent reports I knew I had to hurry. Got up there about 715 outside air temp was 1°. The road to the marina is easily passable, I only put it in four-wheel-drive a couple times just cause I had the boat and I didn’t want to get Squirrley. There was open water along the edges and maybe 50 yards of open water from the ramp until a thin sheet of ice. There were a group in mud creek with a tent set up, and they looked like they were on hard deck. 

[Image: F90140-E6-09-A5-4-F0-B-8569-C6-C08-ABD2592.jpg]

I decided to make this a scouting trip and if I could get on water I would be happy. If not, no big deal.

Jordanelle ramp looked like it was recently plowed, but was also a sheet of ice. I’m pretty conservative on where I will launch and with no chains on board, I decided to move along to deer Creek

Deer Creek’s water level is rising a little bit however, it looks like a lot of big rocks were moved to where I could see guys were launching by the island ramp. I took my waders with me and didn’t even need to put them on to see that it would be hazardous to launch right off the island ramp.
I’m a big fan of deer creek because of the multiple species, beautiful scenery, and close proximity. Hopefully it will fill up soon and I’m hoping to get back on it around January like I did earlier this year.
Thanks for the report! If I read this right there was open water at Strawberry, but not enough for you to try putting your boat in?
(12-01-2022, 06:22 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Thanks for the report! If I read this right there was open water at Strawberry, but not enough for you to try putting your boat in?

Yes, there was open water where I would say shore fishermen could fish, but it would be hard for tubers to get anywhere. Mud Creek was a different story from what I can see. Part of It was hard deck, and part of it was open water. I can’t speak for chicken Creek or Jakes bay. And a lot of it was pretty light ice, but sketchy enough to where you could get stuck if I launched the boat.
(12-01-2022, 06:40 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 06:22 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Thanks for the report! If I read this right there was open water at Strawberry, but not enough for you to try putting your boat in?

Yes, there was open water where I would say shore fishermen could fish, but it would be hard for tubers to get anywhere. Mud Creek was a different story from what I can see. Part of It was hard deck, and part of it was open water. I can’t speak for chicken Creek or Jakes bay. And a lot of it was pretty light ice, but sketchy enough to where you could get stuck if I launched the boat.

Thanks for the dive by info, did you by chance check out the personal watercraft side of Jordanelle? Lots of times it's open even when the main ramp is iced in.