Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could use some help
Haven't been able to spend much time on here for quite a while due to family issues.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a couple of things.

#1 Just finishing going through my parents' house and have some old items that we need to have a good antique appraiser look at.  Having never done this before.  Would like to find someone reputable and preferably local.

#2 Need to find someone who knows Volkswagen engines.  I screwed up a repair (broke off the mounting bolt for the water pump drive gear on the end of the intake side balance shaft 2.0t engine) and need someone to give me some advice on the direction I need to go to finish the repair.  Least labor intensive and least impact on the bank account.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
(12-13-2022, 03:17 AM)BRL1 Wrote: Haven't been able to spend much time on here for quite a while due to family issues.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a couple of things.

#1 Just finishing going through my parents' house and have some old items that we need to have a good antique appraiser look at.  Having never done this before.  Would like to find someone reputable and preferably local.

#2 Need to find someone who knows Volkswagen engines.  I screwed up a repair (broke off the mounting bolt for the water pump drive gear on the end of the intake side balance shaft 2.0t engine) and need someone to give me some advice on the direction I need to go to finish the repair.  Least labor intensive and least impact on the bank account.

I can't be of much help but I know Cowboypirate has some experience selling antiques on ebay, so he might be able to help depending on what it is but if I remember correctly he mainly dealt with fishing gear. 

As far as the VW engine, you will likely need to contact a mechanic but I believe it could be drilled out and tapped.
Good luck
Morning Bryce

In reverse order...

Drill the the broken bolt and use an EASY OUT or similar Extractor. It is my go to on all my rebuilds. I have pulled out some really tough broke ones that were in tight spots. Tight spot may require a right angle drill. Soak it with a penetrating fluid like wd-40 to losen and break up the rust. May need to do this a few times to let it soak down deep before you drill it. Make sure the drill bit is smaller than the threads or you will have to tap it.

Heat and cold applied can help. Just remember heat expands metal and the opposite with cold. Use caution do this or you can make it worse.

If that will not pull it then you are stuck drilling it at the shank diameter and retapping the threads.

I will answer the other question later
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
As for the Antiques...

I am not an appraiser, and I don't know of a local service that does this, but we do buy and sell and sometimes restore a fair number of them.

I do most of my inital price evalutions using Google lens and Ebay comps. I can normally find out a lot with just those two tools. I use that info to help me do a deeper online search of Antique sites to get history and details. I have yet to find an antique that we could not price out using just those online methods. But I have taken items in to local antique shops to ask about them. They are usually willing to give free advice, but remember they are running a business and the info they give can be tilted towards how they could make a profit off the item if you consign it. Nothing wrong with that. Just have to factor that into the value of the item.

If you are stuck on something feel free to PM a few Photos. Cookie loves to play detective

One last thought on Antiques...

Many we look at are fakes or reproductions or hand made items that only have sentimental value. That is hard to tell someone but very common
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-13-2022, 03:17 AM)BRL1 Wrote: #2 Need to find someone who knows Volkswagen engines.  I screwed up a repair (broke off the mounting bolt for the water pump drive gear on the end of the intake side balance shaft 2.0t engine) and need someone to give me some advice on the direction I need to go to finish the repair.  Least labor intensive and least impact on the bank account.

Harbor Freight  Left hand drill bits are my go to for broker bolt removal. Lots of Aero Croil penetrating oil allowed to soak for a couple days.. Put a punch mark in the center of the bolt so the drill starts centered as closely as possible. Don't drill to big and take out existing threads, when drilling usually the bolt will bind to the drill and back itself out of the hole. If not a screw or bolt extractor can be used in the hole you drilled.
Thanks for the replies. As for the antiques my brother and sister decided to take over that project.

Broken bolt, clarify the situation. Left hand thread bolt that broke as i put it back in due to over torque reusing a single use bolt, so should back out with a regular drill bit. As for acces to the end of the balance shaft, main issue, three quarter inch between end of the shaft and the engine block. So after alot cussing, YouTube and beer, I should be pulling the balance shaft this afternoon, if I can pull it without the special VW/Audi slide hammer attachment.
Would rather be ice fishing or duck hunting with all the time I have put into this car.
Thanks everyone.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.