Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR Invasive Species Test for 2023 - NOT!
I sat down at the computer and decided to knock out all my renewals at one time.

Idaho Fishing License and Two Pole Permit, check.

Idaho Invasive Species Sticker, check.

Utah Invasive Species Test, check. Answered all 23 questions, printed out four copies, signed them, and started to put them in boats and vehicles. But wait why does the form say 2022? Oh Crap! The DWR in their infinite wisdom just let me take last years test on January 3rd of 2023. The form even says that it was issued on 01-03-23. At this point I am just going to roll with it. I have proof that I took the the test in 2023 so I should be good. Reminds of the license plate sticker fiasco of last year. I carried a letter from the DMV for six months in one of my vehicles to explain to law enforcement folks in case I got pulled over...
That's strange. I took the test last night and my print out says 2023 on it. I also went to the DWR site and it shows test only for 2023. Perhaps did you pull up you form from last year and reprint it?
(01-03-2023, 10:35 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: That's strange.  I took the test last night and my print out says 2023 on it.  I also went to the DWR site and it shows test only for 2023.  Perhaps did you pull up you form from last year and reprint it?

I went to:
https://www.wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/in...ssels.html and clicked on the link half way down the page that says "free online course", took the test, and this is the result.

[Image: Mussel-Cert.jpg]

Something that might be relevant. I took the text only version of the test instead of the video version. Perhaps that link is still pointing to last years test?
I also did all of those on 12/31/22, but I took the 2023 Utah Invasive Species test (I noticed both 2022 and 2023 were available choices).
Yep, mine did the same thing. I called headquarters and complained and they are going to "try and fix it". I was told to use the one time form at the ramp until they get it figured out but no guarantees I won't have to take the test yet again.
Interesting, my forms all say 2023 !! What surprised me the most was the link to renew my boat registration for only $20.00 !! Was this a misprint or have they changed the renewal to a flat $20.00 ??
(01-03-2023, 10:20 PM)fish_digger Wrote: I sat down at the computer and decided to knock out all my renewals at one time.

Idaho Fishing License and Two Pole Permit, check.

Idaho Invasive Species Sticker, check.

Utah Invasive Species Test, check. Answered all 23 questions, printed out four copies, signed them, and started to put them in boats and vehicles. But wait why does the form say 2022? Oh Crap! The DWR in their infinite wisdom just let me take last years test on January 3rd of 2023. The form even says that it was issued on 01-03-23. At this point I am just going to roll with it. I have proof that I took the the test in 2023 so I should be good. Reminds of the license plate sticker fiasco of last year. I carried a letter from the DMV for six months in one of my vehicles to explain to law enforcement folks in case I got pulled over...

Before I started there was a page asking which year I wanted to take.  I selected 2023.  Everything came as 2023.
I went back and tried to recreate the problem. At the beginning of the test there is a link at the bottom of the page for a text only version. If you select it and then hit next, you get last years test.

Regardless, it is hard to believe that their system would let someone take the 2022 test after January 1st.

Lesson learned, until they fix it, don't opt for text version.
Sounds like a "PEBKAC" problem (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).  Maybe just a loose nut on the keyboard.

Happy new year.
I did the same thing fish_digger, but went back and went through the 2023 test quick and now have the right year, only took about 5 minutes.
(01-03-2023, 10:20 PM)fish_digger Wrote: I sat down at the computer and decided to knock out all my renewals at one time.
But wait why does the form say 2022? Oh Crap! The DWR in their infinite wisdom just let me take last years test on January 3rd of 2023. The form even says that it was issued on 01-03-23. At this point I am just going to roll with it. 

On 12-31 I also had the choice to select 22 or 23, mine came out right since I did select 2023. 

In your mind you have the idea to challenge the DNR officer at the ramp, chances are you may not see the issuing officer at the end. He will see 2022 and will see greenbacks too. Personally, I would just retake the test for appropriate year avoiding possible confrontation. 

One other thing, as residence we pay a fee thru our DMV for AIS along with boat & trailer renewal registration. I feel the test should be directed to the nonresidents since it is also requesting registration & a $20 fee. We shouldn't have to test year after year. Don't have a problem going thru a check station for inspection.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(01-04-2023, 02:35 PM)Bduck Wrote:
But wait why does the form say 2022? Oh Crap! The DWR in their infinite wisdom just let me take last years test on January 3rd of 2023. The form even says that it was issued on 01-03-23. At this point I am just going to roll with it. 
 I goofed also. Took me twice
(01-04-2023, 12:19 AM)Therapist Wrote: Interesting, my forms all say 2023 !!  What surprised me the most was the link to renew my boat registration for only $20.00 !! Was this a misprint or have they changed the renewal to a flat $20.00 ??

The $20 fee for boats is only for non residents. Utah residents are not required to pay it. This is the AIS boat registration fee and is different than the Utah State Tax commission registration fees.
Ok,,that makes more sense because I can't see the state reducing registration fees for anything !!! Thanks guys for the clarification
(01-04-2023, 07:19 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: The $20 fee for boats is only for non residents. Utah residents are not required to pay it. This is the AIS boat registration fee and is different than the Utah State Tax commission registration fees.
You, of course, are free to believe anything you like.  But the truth is as Bduck posted - as a Utah resident, you are charged a $10 AIS fee when you register your watercraft at the DMV.  You will not see it as seperate line item on your reciept, but it is still there.  Non-residents have to pay a $20 stand alone fee before they are allowed to take the test.

Here's the really messed up part.  Non-residents pay if they put ANY watercraft into Utah waters.  Residents that use a registered watercraft in Utah pay the fee, while residents that use non-motorized watercraft don't.  That's what you get when legislators that don't know squat about what the problem is pass legislation without input from affected users.  Angry
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-04-2023, 09:14 PM)dubob Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 07:19 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: The $20 fee for boats is only for non residents. Utah residents are not required to pay it. This is the AIS boat registration fee and is different than the Utah State Tax commission registration fees.
You, of course, are free to believe anything you like.  But the truth is as Bduck posted - as a Utah resident, you are charged a $10 AIS fee when you register your watercraft at the DMV.  You will not see it as seperate line item on your reciept, but it is still there.  Non-residents have to pay a $20 stand alone fee before they are allowed to take the test.

Here's the really messed up part.  Non-residents pay if they put ANY watercraft into Utah waters.  Residents that use a registered watercraft in Utah pay the fee, while residents that use non-motorized watercraft don't.  That's what you get when legislators that don't know squat about what the problem is pass legislation without input from affected users.  Angry

Correct, I should have said Utah residents are not required to pay it separately. We get it included with our "package deal" when we register the boat.
(01-04-2023, 01:25 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sounds like a "PEBKAC" problem (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).  Maybe just a loose nut on the keyboard.

Happy new year.
As Tim Allen's character says in Galaxy Quest "Never give up, never surrender". I would add to that never admit your wrong. Heck it's worked for Joe Biden for years...  Cool

I did go back and take the test again. Same questions, but the 2023 test only had 20 vs 23 for the 2022.
(01-07-2023, 06:56 PM)fish_digger Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 01:25 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sounds like a "PEBKAC" problem (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).  Maybe just a loose nut on the keyboard.

Happy new year.
As Tim Allen's character says in Galaxy Quest "Never give up, never surrender". I would add to that never admit your wrong. Heck it's worked for Joe Biden for years...  Cool

I did go back and take the test again. Same questions, but the 2023 test only had 20 vs 23 for the 2022.
Interesting, the test I took Saturday for my 2023 certificate had 23 questions.
The one I took today for 2023 had 20 question.
Well, they must have honked things up and had a link to the 2022 test for a while. I checked just now and can't get record of my completion for 2023 and it takes me to a 20 question test. However, I have a pdf of my 2023 certificate of completion from takeing the 23 question test last Saturday. It clearly says 2023, so I'll print copies off.