Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft edges !!
First, thanks to everyone that is posting about "soft edges".  Good to know so everyone can be safe !!  Actually it is a good sign overall.  It may be interfering with our current fishing,  but remember these last few summers when lake levels were so low we couldn't launch !!  Well ! these soft edges portend great water levels for the coming year.  What is happening with all this snow is that the lake levels are rising, lifting the ice pack away from the bank, giving the impression that the ice is melting along the edges.  We dealt with this just before the big water years back in the late 70's.  Low lake levels,  then big rain/snow level,  lake levels rising, making access very difficult.  We'll get some more deep cold weather & temps that will stop the melt and run off. Edges will refreeze, and all will be good till spring when the real thaw begins.  It really sucks right now,  but think of all that BEAUTIFUL water filling our reservoirs this spring !!  We just need to have some patience !!
I had two friends take a partial bath at RP and another at Echo last week. All at the edges so just wet legs but sure worth watching close for a while

But I agree, I will take the water any day.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-04-2023, 12:46 AM)Therapist Wrote: First, thanks to everyone that is posting about "soft edges".  Good to know so everyone can be safe !!  Actually it is a good sign overall.  It may be interfering with our current fishing,  but remember these last few summers when lake levels were so low we couldn't launch !!  Well ! these soft edges portend great water levels for the coming year.  What is happening with all this snow is that the lake levels are rising, lifting the ice pack away from the bank, giving the impression that the ice is melting along the edges.  We dealt with this just before the big water years back in the late 70's.  Low lake levels,  then big rain/snow level,  lake levels rising, making access very difficult.  We'll get some more deep cold weather & temps that will stop the melt and run off. Edges will refreeze, and all will be good till spring when the real thaw begins.  It really sucks right now,  but think of all that BEAUTIFUL water filling our reservoirs this spring !!  We just need to have some patience !!

Amen!  Small sacrifice to pay for drinking water, green lawns, food/crops/hay and a garden throughout the coming year!  Thanks for the positive reminder!  Smile
I've had to run my brand new, 3 year old snow blower 4 or 5 times this year and enjoyed every minute of it and looking for more, bring it on.
(01-04-2023, 01:29 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I had two friends take a partial bath at RP and another at Echo last week. All at the edges so just wet legs but sure worth watching close for a while

Yup was at Rockport Monday and me and my buddy took a partial bath at the edge as we were leaving.
I havent made it out yet this year, what lake is having the best luck with keeping good ice? I am in davis county. Willing to travel to a good "safe" spot.

Thanks!

Tyson
Scofield seems to have good ice even on the edges. I haven't been up there since Monday 1/1. There is slush on a lot of the lake. We were able to pack snow up high to get out of the slushy stuff when we were fishing though.
(01-06-2023, 03:33 PM)twagner Wrote: I havent made it out yet this year, what lake is having the best luck with keeping good ice? I am in davis county. Willing to travel to a good "safe" spot.
Thanks!
Tyson
Flaming gorge ice is still doing good buckboard and up. Fontenelle is also holding good ice just has a bit more snow on it
Thanks for the post, I went swimming at the edges last year, it's not that much fun.  It looks like between your post and now it would just be worse.
(01-06-2023, 09:23 PM)dibb03 Wrote: Scofield seems to have good ice even on the edges. I haven't been up there since Monday 1/1. There is slush on a lot of the lake. We were able to pack snow up high to get out of the slushy stuff when we were fishing though.

On 1/3 you'd have to go for a walk to get snow and bring back to pack it in if you wanted a dry area for anything.  I had to drag what little snow there was in a 3-4' area just to stand out of the slush next to my hole. The snowmobile tracks weren't frozen either, so you'd just step through. Maybe it's a little better now, but with another snowstorm, I don't know. 
I'm curious to see what people post over the weekend.
(01-04-2023, 01:29 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I had two friends take a partial bath at RP and another at Echo last week. All at the edges so just wet legs but sure worth watching close for a while

Thanks for the report.  I was thinking of taking three little boys up this weekend, maybe we'll look for other options.  I appreciate you saving us the trip and gas money!
(01-12-2023, 02:00 AM)Fishnfam Wrote:

Thanks for the report.  I was thinking of taking three little boys up this weekend, maybe we'll look for other options.  I appreciate you saving us the trip and gas money!

Not a seer or anything like that, but with three cold days coming at us, I'm thinking by Saturday there should be an ice crust over the slush that should hold you from falling into the slush... It will be a sloppy mess when you drill your holes since all the slush will ooze out into your hole and make it hard to keep clear, but I'm thinking conditions might get back to possible to fish... However, right behind that is a series of new storms, so it probably won't last longer than Saturday... and if the daytime temps warm up to much this might not hold, but I'm trying to think optimistically.. Good luck... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I was out at Rockport last weekend and we had to use a sled as a boat to get on and off the ice. We caught two perch and a trout.