Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's Everyone Fishing?
So I know I don't know where there is any good ice fishing this year, but I can't believe the low numbers of ice fishermen out this year... I've been watching Hyrum on the dam cam and I have only seen a couple folks on the lake in the last two weeks (week days).  I mean I know I didn't do very well over there, but I'd still expect it to be fished even if it is tough pickings..  Newton is down to a few groups at most, Mantua probably has the most folks on it of anywhere I've seen and last Saturday I don't think there were ten groups out there... So where am I missing that I should be fishing?  Or is it simply a matter of terrible conditions that is keeping folks away this year?  Just curious and I'm not saying I want to have crowds, actually I like the opposite, but I'm just surprised by it... Is it the fall out from low water last year, so most of the ponds are really low quantity and quality this year?  I was afraid last years low water concentrating the fish would make for a tough year this year, and it really seems like it has.. Anyway just wondering what your thoughts are... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
It's the poor to unsafe conditions, at least for me.
It's the Lack of fishing buddies (I.E. Brother-in-law) that want to go!!  I may get desperate and start pimping myself on street corner for fishing partners LOL
(01-10-2023, 06:59 PM)smokepoles Wrote: It's the poor to unsafe conditions, at least for me.

That's a very valid reason and I'll buy that one for sure... Have you checked Hyrum lately to see what condition that ice sheet is at? I went out on Cutler last night expecting to fall through and I found 6-7" of cloudy marginal ice, but it seemed to hold up fine... Again it's only 2-3' deep so if I fall through I only get half wet... Do you think that is why no one is fishing Hyrum?

(01-10-2023, 07:14 PM)big_griggs Wrote: It's the Lack of fishing buddies (I.E. Brother-in-law) that want to go!!  I may get desperate and start pimping myself on street corner for fishing partners LOL

From what I've seen you're looking for bigger tents because of all your entourage...  But I do need to try the Berry once the slush tacks up a bit so we can get in and out without issues... Put me on the calendar... Later J
WRT Hyrum and Newton, I think the word is out that the fishing sucks, so what's the point?

For me though, it's been conditions. Just when I wanted to start hitting the hard deck, the weather warmed up and my lower elevations spots are marginal safety-wise at best. Been went to try the Berry, but not gonna fight slush for fish.
(01-11-2023, 12:46 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: WRT Hyrum and Newton, I think the word is out that the fishing sucks, so what's the point?

For me though, it's been conditions.  Just when I wanted to start hitting the hard deck, the weather warmed up and my lower elevations spots are marginal safety-wise at best.  Been went to try the Berry, but not gonna fight slush for fish.

That's kind of what I was wondering if everyone was in on the quality of fishing so they weren't showing because of that... But I was still wondering how everybody knows that already... I guess those that aren't on a forum are probably on Facebook, so the word gets out... And I agree with you about the slush, I'm not wanting to fight that monster on the Berry, even though I'd really like to go fishing there, but it just takes too much fun out of the trip for me...  So bad fishing or conditions seem to be the general consensus... I'm glad for the storms, but I kind of want to wish for some cold temps to improve the ice... Guess I'm never happy.... or at least content with conditions.. Later J
(01-10-2023, 06:55 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So I know I don't know where there is any good ice fishing this year, but I can't believe the low numbers of ice fishermen out this year... I've been watching Hyrum on the dam cam and I have only seen a couple folks on the lake in the last two weeks (week days).  I mean I know I didn't do very well over there, but I'd still expect it to be fished even if it is tough pickings..  Newton is down to a few groups at most, Mantua probably has the most folks on it of anywhere I've seen and last Saturday I don't think there were ten groups out there... So where am I missing that I should be fishing?  Or is it simply a matter of terrible conditions that is keeping folks away this year?  Just curious and I'm not saying I want to have crowds, actually I like the opposite, but I'm just surprised by it... Is it the fall out from low water last year, so most of the ponds are really low quantity and quality this year?  I was afraid last years low water concentrating the fish would make for a tough year this year, and it really seems like it has.. Anyway just wondering what your thoughts are... J

Get on up to Bear Lake in your boat.  The fishing has been really good and willl only get better as the cisco run gets closer.  Oh, Cisco Disco will be on Saturday 1/28.  Stop on by and say hello.
So last night and throughout the day we have been getting a lot of rain/sleet, so I hit Cutler to check conditions and that storm really made the slush a lot worse than last night... Has anyone been on Strawberry today? If so did it make that pond even worse for slush? I expect even if they got fluffy snow, the extra weight will push more water out on the surface and make the slush even deeper... The 10 day forecast doesn't show much chance for improvement either with lots of additional storms on the way... Conditions are setting up for really thick ice once the cold temps return, if they do.... That is assuming that the slush layer all freezes, which is probably not going to happen, instead we'll probably get sandwich ice with a slush layer in the middle.. We seen this same condition one year on a lake in the Uinta's (Whitney Res.) where the slush sandwich was so thick I had to put my hand auger attachment on my Nils and crank it down in the slush to finish getting through the ice.. I might need to get that extension if things keep going this year... Hand auger in ice water was no good... Later J

(01-11-2023, 04:04 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 06:55 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So I know I don't know where there is any good ice fishing this year, but I can't believe the low numbers of ice fishermen out this year... I've been watching Hyrum on the dam cam and I have only seen a couple folks on the lake in the last two weeks (week days).  I mean I know I didn't do very well over there, but I'd still expect it to be fished even if it is tough pickings..  Newton is down to a few groups at most, Mantua probably has the most folks on it of anywhere I've seen and last Saturday I don't think there were ten groups out there... So where am I missing that I should be fishing?  Or is it simply a matter of terrible conditions that is keeping folks away this year?  Just curious and I'm not saying I want to have crowds, actually I like the opposite, but I'm just surprised by it... Is it the fall out from low water last year, so most of the ponds are really low quantity and quality this year?  I was afraid last years low water concentrating the fish would make for a tough year this year, and it really seems like it has.. Anyway just wondering what your thoughts are... J

Get on up to Bear Lake in your boat.  The fishing has been really good and willl only get better as the cisco run gets closer.  Oh, Cisco Disco will be on Saturday 1/28.  Stop on by and say hello.

Hey Scott, I think you might be talking me into a trip... It's getting to be easier to take the boat over than try to gear up for slush... Thanks for the suggestion.. Jeff  ps... I can't catch many less fish even if I get skunked..
(01-11-2023, 04:21 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Scott, I think you might be talking me into a trip... It's getting to be easier to take the boat over than try to gear up for slush... Thanks for the suggestion.. Jeff  ps... I can't catch many less fish even if I get skunked..

Lets hook up one day. My schedule is much more open now that I'm retired.  I'll be fishing it Friday, but after that, then maybe one day next week??  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
(01-11-2023, 04:48 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: My schedule is much more open now that I'm retired. 

Congrats on the retirement Scott. Wow, I would have never thought you were old enough to retire already. You planning on staying in the BL area?
(01-11-2023, 04:48 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 04:21 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Scott, I think you might be talking me into a trip... It's getting to be easier to take the boat over than try to gear up for slush... Thanks for the suggestion.. Jeff  ps... I can't catch many less fish even if I get skunked..

Lets hook up one day. My schedule is much more open now that I'm retired.  I'll be fishing it Friday, but after that, then maybe one day next week??  Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Hey Scott, PM sent , What is the ice possibility this year for the cisco run?  Seems a lot warmer to me in Cache Valley, has Bear Lake been cool enough to have a chance for ice by cisco time? I heard there was a lot of ice floating around a few weeks ago but I know it's warmed up since then... I just always have to hope for ice for the cisco run even when I know there is little chance it will happen.. Thanks for the invite and catch ya later.. Jeff
(01-11-2023, 06:01 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 04:48 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote:

Hey Scott, PM sent , What is the ice possibility this year for the cisco run?  Seems a lot warmer to me in Cache Valley, has Bear Lake been cool enough to have a chance for ice by cisco time? I heard there was a lot of ice floating around a few weeks ago but I know it's warmed up since then... I just always have to hope for ice for the cisco run even when I know there is little chance it will happen.. Thanks for the invite and catch ya later.. Jeff