Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/7/2023 Strawberry Slush
Hit Strawberry bay Saturday.  Walking was difficult in knee deep snow with bottom 8" slush.  Once I found a day old snowmobile trail , walking became easier.  Fishing was very slow with a dozen fish caught by noon. Was able to stomp down snow so I was not standing in water. Caught fish on green or white jigs.
Thanks for the report. That slush is a real pain up there for walking or even snowmobiles when they get bogged down.
IF YOU ARE ON A SNOWMOBILE AND YOU RUN INTO SLUSH TURN AROUND AND GET OUT OF IT UNLESS YOU HAVE TIME TO DIG IT OUT AND FORGET OUT ABOUT FISHING. i HAVE DONE IT TWICE AND IT IS NOTHING BUT TEROUBLE.
(01-10-2023, 11:29 PM)catdaddygar Wrote: IF YOU ARE ON A SNOWMOBILE AND YOU RUN INTO SLUSH TURN AROUND AND GET OUT OF IT UNLESS YOU HAVE TIME TO DIG IT OUT AND FORGET OUT ABOUT FISHING.  i HAVE DONE IT TWICE AND IT IS NOTHING BUT TEROUBLE.

Catdaddy, does this apply to mountain sleds? Like a Skidoo 800 with a 154” track and 2.25” paddles? Or is that just for smaller track sleds with the tiny lugs like a snow dog? Just curious. I haven’t ran a sled in slush before.
(01-11-2023, 01:15 AM)herefishyfishyfishy Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 11:29 PM)catdaddygar Wrote: IF YOU ARE ON A SNOWMOBILE AND YOU RUN INTO SLUSH TURN AROUND AND GET OUT OF IT UNLESS YOU HAVE TIME TO DIG IT OUT AND FORGET OUT ABOUT FISHING.  i HAVE DONE IT TWICE AND IT IS NOTHING BUT TEROUBLE.

Catdaddy, does this apply to mountain sleds? Like a Skidoo 800 with a 154” track and 2.25” paddles? Or is that just for smaller track sleds with the tiny lugs like a snow dog? Just curious. I haven’t ran a sled in slush before.

I have an older summit with the 1.5" paddle track and I can get through slush as long as 1 I don't have much weight in my sleds and 2. I'm not doubled up on my snowmobile... However, when I've been there, there has been frozen tracks you can get onto from time to time to pick up speed and clean out your track from all the slush.... Big but here, you have to think about where you're going to park your snowmobile, if you leave it in the slush you're going to have a terrible time getting going on the way home, plus if it's cold all that wet and slush is going to freeze inside the track and it will be locked up when you try to leave...  So over all it is possible, but its a royal pain in the back side and like mentioned you will sacrifice a lot of your fishing time to taking care of the snowmobile... My suggestion is to wait until it's at least partially frozen so the sleds stay on top of the soup and with some good solid stuff in there you can still get around and you can make sure your tracks out of the wet and cleaned out before it freezes...  I'm not going until the conditions have improved a bunch, it's not worth the trip..

The big mountain sleds should do a lot better than mine, but you'll still have the slush freezing in the track.. The worst day I was there, I took Craig out with me and we got on the ice okay, but the way back with two sleds and Craig, I couldn't get enough speed to get going.. So I had to take the sleds in first trip and when I went back for Craig the guys from the marina had taken him in, they had the 154" tracks with big paddles, so I know they do do better than my sled does... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!