Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
red maggots?
Has anyone tried using plastic red maggots for ice fishing for perch? 

We've used live red maggots and they were really preferred over the white ones, so we thought why not, and ordered us some to give a try IF /WHEN we ever get to go ice fishing once again.
I use them on my bigger spoons treble hooks and put live ones on a dropper jig underneath, mostly white and they do catch fish.
(01-13-2023, 10:46 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I use them on my bigger spoons treble hooks and put live ones on a dropper jig underneath,  mostly white and they do catch fish.

Well, thanks, guess we'll find out tomorrow if the perch will like them - fingers crossed! We still have some live red ones left if all else fails.
Lol, I'll be using some soon, just got my new plastic maggot mold today, so going to make some in various colors to try.
(01-18-2023, 03:12 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Lol, I'll be using some soon, just got my new plastic maggot mold today, so going to make some in various colors to try.

Well, we did use them, but didn't have any luck then, but it really wasn't a fair trial as we just weren't ever able to find the perch. Only caught 3 dinks after moving several times, several depths it just wasn't a good day. We'll give them another try on Wed this week.
Dam, that's not good, how big are they? The ones I shot last night are pretty close to actual size.
(01-23-2023, 11:55 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Dam, that's not good, how big are they? The ones I shot last night are pretty close to actual size.

PM sent
(01-23-2023, 11:55 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Dam, that's not good, how big are they? The ones I shot last night are pretty close to actual size.

Curious what type of gun, archery or whatever one uses to shoot a red maggot, and do you have a picture of the trophy? Wink
Lol, I'll take a picture after I get home.
Here you go, shot with a 40 mm scatter gun, no blood trailing required. They are .5 inch, in strings of 10, 60 at a time.

[Image: KIMG0236.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0235.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0234.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0233.jpg]

Done 7 colors in the last 2 nights, 1 to go and have a couple neon that I don't use, but think I'll throw some glow powder in them and do them also.
I hope that they work out for you.
Me too, only use them on bigger treble hooks on my bigger spoons, I put a dropper below them and use live ones, I'll experiment with these to see how they work, don't like the bulkiness or the look of the power bait ones, these will fit nicely in my plastic holder, plus can make all I want.
Do you put any type of scent on them? I think those Gulp maggot have their own scent.
I do, I use crawfish scent on all my plastics.