Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
East Canyon Conditions
Hit the Fins & Fur sponsored ice derby today. Conditions have improved dramatically with a pretty solid crust layer on top. There are still some soft spots here and there where I broke through the crust but it was only sporadic. Easy on and off at the bottom of the unplowed boat ramp. Snowdogs and snowmobiles were on the ice. Ice had about 5 inches and 2 small layers of slush on top of about 6 inches of clear. Weather was great and I had my coat off at times.

My favorite spot just did not produce today. Very few fish caught in the area I fished. Should have tried someplace different. Biggest I could muster was an 18.5" bow.
A 23.5" fish won the contest.
(01-15-2023, 04:58 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Hit the Fins & Fur sponsored ice derby today. Conditions have improved dramatically with a pretty solid crust layer on top. There are still some soft spots here and there where I broke through the crust but it was only sporadic. Easy on and off at the bottom of the unplowed boat ramp. Snowdogs and snowmobiles were on the ice. Ice had about 5 inches and 2 small layers of slush on top of about 6 inches of clear. Weather was great and I had my coat off at times.

My favorite spot just did not produce today. Very few fish caught in the area I fished. Should have tried someplace different. Biggest I could muster was an 18.5" bow.
A 23.5" fish won the contest.
That lake has been finicky everytim ive gone aswell. Thanks for Sharing.
Curious if they had as many anglers on the ice, for the contest, this year vs. last with people knowing about earler ice conditions issues?

Have you made your marathon hike across Lost Creek, yet?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I think they cap it at 150 anglers and I bet they were close or made that number. It was busy.

Funny you should ask because that is probably my next destination. Itching to get to a couple of places in the back of the reservoir looking for that slotbuster.
Too bad you did not get the big one this year, hopefully you will do better on the next tournament. After reading Kent's post on LC, it might be some tough conditions.
You're right that those conditions don't sound very good.  But hopefully they'll improve in a week or two.
(01-16-2023, 02:51 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: You're right that those conditions don't sound very good.  But hopefully they'll improve in a week or two.

Yea, with the colder temps in the forecast I think you will see it improve but I guess it depends on hope much snow will get.