Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield 1/14
Took my son up to Scofield. Conditions had improved from the last time and the slush had a good 2" of ice on top. My snowmobile still broke through at times and I occasionally stepped through. There was about 4-6" of slush under the top layer and 3-4" of snow on top. I think the most annoying thing was navigating through some really deep frozen ruts. They could be pretty bad where anyone drove a side by side through. 

Fishing was probably the slowest I've ever experienced there. The bite was extremely light and a lot came loose before they could be iced. Only brought in two Cutts. One was right at 15" and the other was pretty small. Both appeared fat and healthy. There was some clear ice and water at the edge, near where we fished. My son at 50lbs easily walked across the top and was watching little fish come up and eat nymphs that were crawling all over the rocks. I tried to go take a look and ended up with a wet foot when I stepped through. 

I pretty much threw a little bit of everything I had at them. The two I iced were caught on green and white plastic grub and a meal worm. The small one came up off the bottom and the bigger one maybe at 10 feet. We were fishing in 12-16 fow. 

We left a little earlier than planned due to how slow the fishing was. It had also started snowing pretty good. Seemed to be a lot less people than the previous weekend. 

Oh, my pull cord to the snowmobile broke, or the handle did. I went to start it and- no handle. I'm lucky Scofield had cell service and was able to watch a video demonstrating how to wrap the belt side with a strap and turn the engine over that way. I cut one of my tie down straps for the sled and it worked perfectly. Definitely keeping  some strapping in my snowmobiles. 

Anyone know how the slush was this weekend on Strawberry?
Good to read that conditions have improved, too bad the catching was slower. Bummer your pull cord broke but glad you figured out a way to get it started. Thanks for the report.
(01-15-2023, 11:43 PM)TheOtherSide Wrote: Took my son up to Scofield. Conditions had improved from the last time and the slush had a good 2" of ice on top. My snowmobile still broke through at times and I occasionally stepped through. There was about 4-6" of slush under the top layer and 3-4" of snow on top. I think the most annoying thing was navigating through some really deep frozen ruts. They could be pretty bad where anyone drove a side by side through. 

Fishing was probably the slowest I've ever experienced there. The bite was extremely light and a lot came loose before they could be iced. Only brought in two Cutts. One was right at 15" and the other was pretty small. Both appeared fat and healthy. There was some clear ice and water at the edge, near where we fished. My son at 50lbs easily walked across the top and was watching little fish come up and eat nymphs that were crawling all over the rocks. I tried to go take a look and ended up with a wet foot when I stepped through. 

I pretty much threw a little bit of everything I had at them. The two I iced were caught on green and white plastic grub and a meal worm. The small one came up off the bottom and the bigger one maybe at 10 feet. We were fishing in 12-16 fow. 

We left a little earlier than planned due to how slow the fishing was. It had also started snowing pretty good. Seemed to be a lot less people than the previous weekend. 

Oh, my pull cord to the snowmobile broke, or the handle did. I went to start it and- no handle. I'm lucky Scofield had cell service and was able to watch a video demonstrating how to wrap the belt side with a strap and turn the engine over that way. I cut one of my tie down straps for the sled and it worked perfectly. Definitely keeping  some strapping in my snowmobiles. 

Anyone know how the slush was this weekend on Strawberry?
The berry was decent, we took a sled out in it and never really slushed out. Seems the snow on top got heavy enough to compress everything. I wouldn’t hesitate to go pretty much anywhere on the lake on a snowmobile. Fishing was decent south west of the marina, around 40-50 fish on tube jigs tipped between 2 of us.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you had a great time. I should have gone out today instead of being lazy. Haha