Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winters Return
Hey looks like just in time winter is going to return!!! Last night I was afraid it might be my last night on the ice, it was getting so gooshy and rotten I was afraid it wouldn't hold another day, then an overnight return to teens and lower temps may have just saved the ice season... In fact the 10 day forecast shows lots of good ice building temps on the way, so good news for all of us that like the hard deck... I'm sure it's not going to re-ice Willard and Bear Lake, so you boat guys will still have some place to go, but I'm glad to see the ice season may make it a little longer this year...  Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I totally agree. It's so good to see lows in the single digits and sunny days coming back to the Uinta Basin. I'm expecting many more ice fishing days ahead this season....
Utah Lake State Park was ice free this morning, but not yesterday. I might try it this weekend for whites and SLOW catfish!

If it doesn't re-ice by then Smile
Ron, I'm with ya, hoping for more sunny cold days... Good for ice and slush conditions...

Jim, Hope you get to try them this weekend... I imagine you're not as cold down your way as we are in Cache Valley, so hopefully you won't get hit with ice, unless that's what you want... I have really started to like Pat's whirly fligs for the slow troll, I'm pretty sure you have your own cold water cat gear, but that rheostat (forget what you called it) that you recommended for my toon electric motor years back, sure has come in handy to slow my troll speed down for this time of year fishing... As long as there isn't any wind altering my speed anyway... It made a ton of difference for me being able to slow it down to .3 mph. From what I've seen with the ice cats I've caught this winter, they seem to just brush my lures a couple times before they will take it into their mouths... If I was trolling very fast at all, they wouldn't be able to catch up for a second try... But I'm pretty sure you already know all that stuff since you do more cold cats than most on the forum... Good luck, I hope you're able to get on some good ones... Later Jeff
Jeff, Thanks for the info. I was planning to try 0.3 or below. I do have some smaller rigs I use for cold water and I also have some of Pat's whirly fligs. I'll probably try a lot of things. I got some cats a few years ago when there was still ice on the lake in most areas. I was anchored and they did just what you said. I couldn't believe how slow the first 2 or 3 movements were and then they would commit a little better.

Not much fight in them though. They would flop once or twice and then go around and around the rest of the way in. Still fun to get some though. I have never actually caught one through a hole I drilled, but I guess you have to drill holes to do that  Wink
(01-18-2023, 07:45 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Jeff, Thanks for the info. I was planning to try 0.3 or below. I do have some smaller rigs I use for cold water and I also have some of Pat's whirly fligs. I'll probably try a lot of things. I got some cats a few years ago when there was still ice on the lake in most areas. I was anchored and they did just what you said. I couldn't believe how slow the first 2 or 3 movements were and then they would commit a little better.

Not much fight in them though. They would flop once or twice and then go around and around the rest of the way in. Still fun to get some though. I have never actually caught one through a hole I drilled, but I guess you have to drill holes to do that  Wink

It's kind of a good thing the cats slow down in the winter, don't think there is anyway to get one through an ice hole if they were at full power... At least it would take a lot longer anyway... Good luck, I look forward to seeing how it goes... just don't start getting folks wanting to get the contest going this early... March will be soon enough... Thanks J