Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onieda Ice?
Anyone been up to Onieda Narrows and seen what the ice is like on the lake?
Well ice was pretty easy walking on today. About 14" of mixed ice & slush layers with a hard deck and 1-2" of powder on top. A lot of fishing happened but 0 catching. Saw a few what looked like bows come through up high but were gone as quick as they showed up everytime. If anyone can offer some advice on finding eyes or perch on Onieda it would be great.
(01-19-2023, 10:42 PM)Brighamfish Wrote: Well ice was pretty easy walking on today. About 14" of mixed ice & slush layers with a hard deck and 1-2" of powder on top. A lot of fishing happened but 0 catching. Saw a few what looked like bows come through up high but were gone as quick as they showed up everytime. If anyone can offer some advice on finding eyes or perch on Onieda it would be great.

Too bad there wasn't any catching involved in you trip there but thanks for the report. We never get any ice fishing reports from Onieda but those fish have to eat, I wonder if they feed in certain location more than others Undecided
Was there anyone else there fishing?
(01-20-2023, 03:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-19-2023, 10:42 PM)Brighamfish Wrote: Well ice was pretty easy walking on today. About 14" of mixed ice & slush layers with a hard deck and 1-2" of powder on top. A lot of fishing happened but 0 catching. Saw a few what looked like bows come through up high but were gone as quick as they showed up everytime. If anyone can offer some advice on finding eyes or perch on Onieda it would be great.

Too bad there wasn't any catching involved in you trip there but thanks for the report. We never get any ice fishing reports from Onieda but those fish have to eat, I wonder if they feed in certain location more than others Undecided

I saw a report last night on FB on Idaho ice fishing report of some guy fishing down by the dam in 25' of water caught a couple walleye and some catfish. He posted some pics and the walleye seemed like pretty decent fish.
(01-22-2023, 03:15 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:

I saw a report last night on FB on Idaho ice fishing report of some guy fishing down by the dam in 25' of water caught a couple walleye and some catfish. He posted some pics and the walleye seemed like pretty decent fish.

Wow, that's impressive, I haven't read many reports walleye being caught there, thanks for sharing that info.
(01-22-2023, 07:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 03:15 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:

Wow, that's impressive, I haven't read many reports walleye being caught there, thanks for sharing that info.

Fished Oneida 2/10. 10-12" of snow on top of 2-4" of slush and 18" of ice. Fished in 36' of water and it was slow. 4 fish all damn day 3 perch and one 12" walleye so the mission was at least a success for the walleye through the ice. I won't be going back this winter I'll wait for spring to try it again, but thats the report. Oh and if you think you can take a snow machine out there think again there were some guys out there that got very stuck on their snowmobile.
Wow, that's a lot of snow, slush and ice, no wonder that snowmobile got stuck. Good for you getting an eye there. What were you using to catch it?
How's the road in, can you get in there with a car
(02-14-2023, 03:07 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: How's the road in, can you get in there with a car

Yes the road is good. I believe they are taking a grader all the way through.

(02-13-2023, 10:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that's a lot of snow, slush and ice, no wonder that snowmobile got stuck. Good for you getting an eye there. What were you using to catch it?

I was using a pinhead minnow tipped with a couple wax worms. I was actually just trying for the perch and he hit it.
(02-14-2023, 10:44 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 03:07 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: How's the road in, can you get in there with a car

(02-13-2023, 10:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that's a lot of snow, slush and ice, no wonder that snowmobile got stuck. Good for you getting an eye there. What were you using to catch it?

I was using a pinhead minnow tipped with a couple wax worms. I was actually just trying for the perch and he hit it.
Nice, any size to the perch?
(02-14-2023, 11:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 10:44 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:

Nice, any size to the perch?

Yes!! Only caught 3 but 9.5", 11, and 11.5". Nice big jumbo perch for around here.
Nice, might have to try and get up there soon.