Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 our new gardening adventure
(02-15-2023, 07:07 PM)jjannie Wrote: Right now, we are using what comes with the unit. But with how much we are needing to use of it we are researching other sources. Amazon has one (others sell it as well) and it's called phDown, but what most use is a food grade phosphoric acid. There are many resources of this out there. 

We also have learned we have REALLY hard water out here compared to many other municipalities in Utah. This site gives you many of the places in Utah.

https://www.hydroflow-usa.com/utah-water-hardness

Did you like that movie?  Our kids have seen it and liked it.

We thought it was at least as good as the first one but a little long, over 3 hrs long.
(02-15-2023, 08:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-15-2023, 07:07 PM)jjannie Wrote: Right now, we are using what comes with the unit. But with how much we are needing to use of it we are researching other sources. Amazon has one (others sell it as well) and it's called phDown, but what most use is a food grade phosphoric acid. There are many resources of this out there. 

We also have learned we have REALLY hard water out here compared to many other municipalities in Utah. This site gives you many of the places in Utah.

https://www.hydroflow-usa.com/utah-water-hardness

Did you like that movie?  Our kids have seen it and liked it.

We thought it was at least as good as the first one but a little long, over 3 hrs long.

My correction - what comes with the unit is a citric acid and magnesium sulfate, it's funny that our water is so hard it tells you to add 1 scoop at time if it's above a 6.0ph.  It took us 10 scoops to get ours to correct ph level, So their package won't last us very long at that rate of use.  The phDown I mentioned earlier (which is phosphoric acid) might just use less per application and its buffered so it doesn't lose the ph you've achieved quickly. In ours it was still ok today but already had dropped .5 in a day. 

That is a long movie. Looking forward to seeing it but we're going to wait to get the video so we can pause it whenever snacks, bathroom etc.) much easier. LOL
Well, today the ph was back up to 8.5 so we've added another scoop of the phdown that comes with the unit. So we'll check it tomorrow and report back. 

Yesterday we already had some seeds sprouting, and even couple more today. So, it looks like they are sprouting quicker than if we had started them in soil. If the germination rate on the packet was 7-10 days and it sprouted in 3 or 4 days. We're happy about learning this.  

FYI - we had some reverse osmosis water on hand that we have sitting around for a couple months, so we tested its ph. It was 6.5.  

The phdown liquid that uses the phosphoric acid (we haven't ordered any yet, but probably will) it has buffering in it so swings in the ph are slower to occur so we think maybe we wouldn't end up needing to check it everyday once we establish a pattern with it. 

So, good progress so far.
The only thing about watching the movie at home is that you will miss it in 3D but it will be great seeing it at home too.
That is amazing that there is that much swing in the Ph. Sounds like you would be better off just using that reverse osmosis water, do you have one there at your home? Good to hear the seeds have sprouted all ready.
(02-16-2023, 05:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The only thing about watching the movie at home is that you will miss it in 3D but it will be great seeing it at home too.
That is amazing that there is that much swing in the Ph. Sounds like you would be better off just using that reverse osmosis water, do you have one there at your home? Good to hear the seeds have sprouted all ready.

Good to know. We do have 3D capability (and glasses) in our theater. So, when it does come out on video, we'll be sure to get that option. 

Yes, there is a lot of swing so we're hoping the stuff we want to order might help with that. Guess we'll see.... because at this rate of use we'll be needing to order something. It'll be worth trying anyway. Hopefully we get this figured out before our plants have very many roots to benefit more from it. We have seen where some with this super hard water have just quit trying, and they still get produce from theirs. Remember how even our garden didn't produce as nicely as yours has - maybe it was all in the difference between our water?  We do not have secondary water only our community artisan well water which is super hard. Tastes great though, just not great for gardening or hydroponic gardening! We keep trying but a lot of folks out here don't even try any more.
(02-16-2023, 05:47 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 05:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The only thing about watching the movie at home is that you will miss it in 3D but it will be great seeing it at home too.

Good to know. We do have 3D capability (and glasses) in our theater. So, when it does come out on video, we'll be sure to get that option. 

Yes, there is a lot of swing so we're hoping the stuff we want to order might help with that. Guess we'll see.... because at this rate of use we'll be needing to order something. It'll be worth trying anyway. Hopefully we get this figured out before our plants have very many roots to benefit more from it. We have seen where some with this super hard water have just quit trying, and they still get produce from theirs. Remember how even our garden didn't produce as nicely as yours has - maybe it was all in the difference between our water?  We do not have secondary water only our community artisan well water which is super hard. Tastes great though, just not great for gardening or hydroponic gardening! We keep trying but a lot of folks out here don't even try any more.
What about the rain water, have you ever tested it to see how high the Ph is in it? Isn't that what you mainly use to water your garden in the Summer?
(02-16-2023, 05:57 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

What about the rain water, have you ever tested it to see how high the Ph is in it? Isn't that what you mainly use to water your garden in the Summer?
Good point we haven't ever checked it, but we will once we collect some. I do have some bottled up left over so I can check on that tomorrow when we do the retesting.
(02-16-2023, 08:37 PM)jjannie Wrote:

Good point we haven't ever checked it, but we will once we collect some. I do have some bottled up left over so I can check on that tomorrow when we do the retesting.
How much water does that hydroponic system hold?
(02-16-2023, 09:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 08:37 PM)jjannie Wrote:

How much water does that hydroponic system hold?
20-21 gallons. To use our RO system we'd only get about 1 gal of water to 4 gallons wasted water - so its not efficient that way. So far though we've not had to add any water to it. Sunday will be our maintenance day on ours since its a day we are usually home at least for part of the day. So we'll check the water level and top it off a little while adding some of the nutrients and most likely more phdown into it. I will say our house more humid than usual so it must be using some of it.
(02-16-2023, 09:56 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 09:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: How much water does that hydroponic system hold?
20-21 gallons. To use our RO system we'd only get about 1 gal of water to 4 gallons wasted water - so its not efficient that way. So far though we've not had to add any water to it. Sunday will be our maintenance day on ours since its a day we are usually home at least for part of the day. So we'll check the water level and top it off a little while adding some of the nutrients and most likely more phdown into it. I will say our house more humid than usual so it must be using some of it.
RO system? Whatever it is, how does it waste 4 gal of water?
(02-16-2023, 10:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 09:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: How much water does that hydroponic system hold?
RO = Reverse Osmosis

I'll have Jeff explain it in a little while.... its just Greek to me,,,,
(02-16-2023, 10:43 PM)jjannie Wrote:
RO = Reverse Osmosis

I understand how the RO system works but I don't see how it waste the water but I know it is a show process because of the membrane the water has to pass through. Our kids have an RO system up in Idaho and they have a 150 gal holding tank for the water once it goes through the system.
(02-16-2023, 10:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
RO = Reverse Osmosis

I understand how the RO system works but I don't see how it waste the water but I know it is a show process because of the membrane the water has to pass through. Our kids have an RO system up in Idaho and they have a 150 gal holding tank for the water once it goes through the system.
yes, that flushing out of the membrane is what creates the 'waste' water. In our system that is 4 gals of water to the 1 gal we get from it. There are pricier systems that can do it with less wasted water just not ours. We save the wasted water for other purposes and if you're on a sewer system it may just flush into it. But we are on a septic system so dumping it all in our tank may upset its balance and cause problems, so we collect it and use it up little by little for things that don't matter much if hard or soft water.
(02-17-2023, 12:13 AM)jjannie Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 10:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 09:56 PM)jjannie Wrote: 20-21 gallons. To use our RO system we'd only get about 1 gal of water to 4 gallons wasted water - so its not efficient that way. So far though we've not had to add any water to it. Sunday will be our maintenance day on ours since its a day we are usually home at least for part of the day. So we'll check the water level and top it off a little while adding some of the nutrients and most likely more phdown into it. I will say our house more humid than usual so it must be using some of it.
RO = Reverse Osmosis

yes, that flushing out of the membrane is what creates the 'waste' water. In our system that is 4 gals of water to the 1 gal we get from it. There are pricier systems that can do it with less wasted water just not ours. We save the wasted water for other purposes and if you're on a sewer system it may just flush into it. But we are on a septic system so dumping it all in our tank may upset its balance and cause problems, so we collect it and use it up little by little for things that don't matter much if hard or soft water.

Interesting, I had not heard about the flushing part, at least the flushed water isn't going to waste.
This is all experimentation.... 

So today we checked our ph and it was still an 8.5, so we've added 2 more scoops of the provided ph down and we'll see how it does tomorrow. 

We also checked some of the rain collection from last year which we had stored in some bottles, and it surprised us that it too was hard, 8.5-9! 

Our next experiment, we've collected a 5gal bucket amount of clean snow, once it melts, we'll give it check. 

Heading out now to run some errands. 

BTW a few more seeds have sprouted - yeah! This so much fun!
Errands all done. When we got home, we rechecked the ph now that it's run several times and it has improved but not very close to the target yet, so we gave it 2 more scoops and we'll see how it is tomorrow.
We checked and still an 8.5 so added 2 more scoops and will check again later today. Also checked the melted snow water and it was a 6.5. So, we'll see what ours is later today. 

Tomorrow is our 'maintenance' day and we're supposed to add nutrients and adjust the ph (LOL) and trim any roots (which we won't have any at this point).
(02-18-2023, 04:56 PM)jjannie Wrote: We checked and still an 8.5 so added 2 more scoops and will check again later today. Also checked the melted snow water and it was a 6.5. So, we'll see what ours is later today. 

Tomorrow is our 'maintenance' day and we're supposed to add nutrients and adjust the ph (LOL) and trim any roots (which we won't have any at this point).

Wow, that's strange, you would think the Ph in snow water would be the same as rain water, makes me wonder if the water Ph just sitting in the bottles you shore it in, could have gone up just sitting there for months. How long do the roots have to be before you trim them?
(02-18-2023, 05:15 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-18-2023, 04:56 PM)jjannie Wrote: We checked and still an 8.5 so added 2 more scoops and will check again later today. Also checked the melted snow water and it was a 6.5. So, we'll see what ours is later today. 

Wow, that's strange, you would think the Ph in snow water would be the same as rain water, makes me wonder if the water Ph just sitting in the bottles you shore it in, could have gone up just sitting there for months. How long do the roots have to be before you trim them?

not sure of difference really but we'll check on our fresh rainwater later this year. You can trim roots back really far; some even do it to it up to the grow basket. Jeff's sister said she does 4/5ths or so and you can trim them pretty far back. What you won't want is to have any roots interfering with the pump at the bottom. I found a little video that show the water flow system - I'll attempt to attach it.... this doesn't have glow rings on it but you can get the idea. Each layer of planting holes inside the layer water gets funnel-dripped right over top of each grow basket watering them. 
[Image: Waterflow-1.gif]
Week 1 maintenance completed we also added 5 scoops of phDown, and after several of water cycles and longer 5min water cycle we're happy to report we measured the ph and it's at a 6.5 - happy dance! Next check will be tomorrow. Of course, we expect the 6.5 won't last but still it is nice to see this.