Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Deer creek
Sorry, I posted on the Premium Board but thought I would ask here also.

Ok question for you all?  I have noticed that the last 3 times at DC it is so murky.  The camera has a hard time seeing anything.  I swear I have better clarity at UL than I have had at DC this year!!  What makes it so murky?
My best guess is muddy runoff coming in from the Provo river and another small inlets.
I've had that happen a couple of times over the years and it turned out to be plankton to my surprise.

With temps barely making it into the thirties and hovering close to single digits at night I don't imagine there is much runoff.

What part of the lake are you fishing on?
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(02-09-2023, 04:58 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I've had that happen a couple of times over the years and it turned out to be plankton to my surprise.

With temps barely making it into the thirties and hovering close to single digits at night I don't imagine there is much runoff.

Both Rainbow bay and south of the Island

(02-09-2023, 04:15 PM)TubeDude Wrote: My best guess is muddy runoff coming in from the Provo river and another small inlets.

That makes sense.
(02-09-2023, 08:47 PM)big_griggs Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 04:58 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: I've had that happen a couple of times over the years and it turned out to be plankton to my surprise.

Both Rainbow bay and south of the Island

(02-09-2023, 04:15 PM)TubeDude Wrote: My best guess is muddy runoff coming in from the Provo river and another small inlets.

That makes sense.

Definitely could be clouds of invertebrates...at times.  But I have fished up close to Charleston through the ice a couple of times when murky runoff was coming in and the water beneath the ice looked a bit turbid.  It's a good sized lake with varied bottom conditions so there could be any number of reasons for lower visibility.  Might even be some carp rooting along the bottom...although they are not too active under the ice.
I was wondering the same thing. Fished southwest of the island and was surprised the water was so dark. Was fishing in 28+ FOW both times.