Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric ice auger options
I am getting older and often don't have anyone to go ice fishing with so my nearly new gas auger has not been used much. I have been looking at the electric options that are much lighter. The last two times up to Rockport I have been able to see two different electric systems in action. Someone took pity on me one time when he saw my hand auger and he used his 10 inch Ion auger to drill my three holes. I have never seen anything go through the ice that quick. The second time someone had an auger made out of his Milwaukee drill hooked to an auger blade. I used it to drill a hole and it worked well but not as well as the Ion.  I have been reading opinions on the two types of setups and the main advantage of the use your drill method is that you have a tool to use when you have projects to do rather than a setup that gathers dust most of the year. I have a couple of Milwaukee M12 tools, one is a drill and the other is an impact driver. The impact tool has way more torque than the drill so why don't people use impact drivers for ice augers ?  If I have to buy a very powerful drill to turn an auger the price of the drill plus a couple of batteries gets close to the dedicated auger price. Any opinions ?