Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Snowdog Registration Update
(08-19-2023, 09:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-19-2023, 08:52 PM)dubob Wrote: “I fought the law, and the law won.”

Some of you may remember this discussion started back in February with regard to the new requirement to register ‘Snowdog’ type machines as of January 2023.  I disagreed with registering them as ‘Snowmobiles’ instead of an ‘All-terrain type III vehicle.’  I researched the situation and made phone calls and sent emails to several State agencies asking them to classify ‘Snowdogs’ as ‘All-terrain Type III Vehicles.  They wouldn’t budge.  So, in March 2023, I submitted a 2-page ‘Private Letter Ruling’ request to the Utah Tax Commission who determines the classification from the way the Utah Code is written.  I stated the facts as best I could along with my interpretation of what the Utah Code says about the facts.

I got their response today – August 18, 2023.  They still insist that a ‘Snowdog’ machine meets the definition of a ‘Snowmobile’ as defined in Utah Code Ann. § 41-22-2.  And that is far as I am willing to pursue the issue.  I could appeal the decision, but don’t expect I could present anything further that would persuade them to change their minds.  I registered mine as a snowmobile last February and got the decals sometime in May.

Last winter, the Utah Law Enforcement community was cutting most Snowdog owners some slack and only issuing a verbal warning to register the vehicle.  I don’t think you will encounter the same attitude from them this coming ice season.

That’s it for now boys & girls.  Hope to see some of you on the ice this coming season.

Big Grin

Thanks for doing all that paper work Bob, too bad it did not turn out more positive. Myself, I just bought me a new ice fishing hut, couldn't beat the $90 price tag.

[Image: newhut.jpg]

Nice looking hut for that price, does it have bench seat or bucket seat?
(08-20-2023, 05:41 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(08-19-2023, 09:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:  I just bought me a new ice fishing hut, couldn't beat the $90 price tag.

I guess you would call a bucket seat, this is a one man or woman hut but it's insulated.

[Image: insideviewofhut.jpg]
(08-20-2023, 07:46 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-19-2023, 09:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:  I just bought me a new ice fishing hut, couldn't beat the $90 price tag.

I guess you would call a bucket seat, this is a one man or woman hut but it's insulated.

[Image: insideviewofhut.jpg]
 Looks like you got yourself nice deal there!
(08-22-2023, 09:18 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(08-20-2023, 07:46 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Looks like you got yourself nice deal there!
It was listed as $190 but that day it was 50% off. Ira said if you bought it in a regular sporting goods store it was over $300. It had been there for a few weeks at least but I did not want to pay almost $200 with tax but $90 was hard to pass up.