Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messin' with Rockport 2-20-23
I think I've done my share of reports on RP, and I wasn't planning on doing this one (but yes, I did get some good quality perch again Pres. day)..so I'm bringing up the issue I saw yesterday about messin' and littering out on the ice..Last week I did well at a spot, so I figured that would at least be a good place to start again..Sure enough, someone else had drilled right next to my holes between Fri. and Sun.,leaving their garbage right there, esp. a bunch of orange peelings...I still fished close by my old holes...As I started setting up my tent, 2 younger Japanese guys walked right up to my site, just speaking Japanese to each other (I spent a little time in Japan, couldn't understand them, but recognized it) then set up 50 yds South of me..I thought that was a little odd, with no one else anywhere near me...I fished, they fished, they left around noon...When it slowed down to nothing for me, I decided to hike over and try one of their holes..Funny, I thought, that these hole patterns and size matched those that someone had drilled earlier by my site...nothing going on here, but the garbage they left...cigarette butts, food wrappers and other plastics, and sure enough, lots of orange peelings...too bad they were long gone, I think I could have conjured up a few Japanese words I remembered from my military time...I'm an OG now, no saint, but I don't recall purposely throwing junk overboard from boat, or leaving garbage out on the ice where it'll soon be junk in the water...I'm sure these 2 aren't BFT guys, as they have no respect for our waters...Please teach your kids and grandkids to respect our resources...Sorry, I hope I'm preachin' to the choir here, but that really just psd me off...
Agreed with leaving trash on the ice, not good at all. I guess we all have our opinions about what trash is but IMO since orange peels are biodegradable they don't fall into the same category as other trash. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't leave anything like that on the ice but there way worse things that people leave one the ice. 
Glad you got into them again Joe. My guess is after this storm is over, it's going to be a mess out for your next trip on the ice.
(02-22-2023, 06:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Agreed with leaving trash on the ice, not good at all. I guess we all have our opinions about what trash is but IMO since orange peels are biodegradable they don't fall into the same category as other trash. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't leave anything like that on the ice but there way worse things that people leave one the ice. 
Glad you got into them again Joe. My guess is after this storm is over, it's going to be a mess out for your next trip on the ice.

It'll probably be harder now for most anyone to get out on the ice with all this new snow..do believe I'll let it rest for awhile...Snowmobiles should have no problem, not sure if snodogs can handle the deeper stuff...some will find a way...risk/reward...Don't know if I agree with your thoughts on what's ok to leave out on our waters...To me, if it's something you or I wouldn't eat, birds or animals wouldn't eat it, it's garbage...Homeland Security's new pamphlet 'Boat Responsibly' includes as prohibited garbage in our waters: plastics, food waste, paper, rags, glass, metal, bottles, crockery, and similar refuse...IMO, if any of this (including food waste) is purposely tossed overboard, or left out on the ice, it's just plain wrong.
(02-23-2023, 04:09 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 06:08 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Agreed with leaving trash on the ice, not good at all. I guess we all have our opinions about what trash is but IMO since orange peels are biodegradable they don't fall into the same category as other trash. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't leave anything like that on the ice but there way worse things that people leave one the ice. 

It'll probably be harder now for most anyone to get out on the ice with all this new snow..do believe I'll let it rest for awhile...Snowmobiles should have no problem, not sure if snodogs can handle the deeper stuff...some will find a way...risk/reward...Don't know if I agree with your thoughts on what's ok to leave out on our waters...To me, if it's something you or I wouldn't eat, birds or animals wouldn't eat it, it's garbage...Homeland Security's new pamphlet 'Boat Responsibly' includes as prohibited garbage in our waters: plastics, food waste, paper, rags, glass, metal, bottles, crockery, and similar refuse...IMO, if any of this (including food waste) is purposely tossed overboard, or left out on the ice, it's just plain wrong.
Joe, I am so with you on this post. I don't care if they are sunflower seeds. They don't need to be left for someone else.

rj
belong
Hey Jmor-
Have you been fishing shallower the past week or two? Last I was out at RP, I was catching OK in 36 FOW, but with it getting later in the season and with the discussion about fishing / catching in shallower water late season, I was wondering if that was holding true for you. I'm looking at heading up there again either tomorrow afternoon or Sat morning. Not looking forward to all the extra snow on the ice.. but grateful for it.
(02-24-2023, 03:16 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Hey Jmor-
Have you been fishing shallower the past week or two?  Last I was out at RP, I was catching OK in 36 FOW, but with it getting later in the season and with the discussion about fishing / catching in shallower water late season, I was wondering if that was holding true for you.  I'm looking at heading up there again either tomorrow afternoon or Sat morning.  Not looking forward to all the extra snow on the ice.. but grateful for it.
Hope to get back at em again soon..sending PM...