Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone getting out fishing in Idaho?
I tried to fish Oneida Reservoir yesterday. It was a no go. Probably 3' plus with snow slush and ice so thick I couldn't drill all the way through. After that failed attempt I checked out Foster. No problem getting on the ice. Foster has a crust layer I couldn't even break through stomping on it but it was a little windy and I didn't bring my shelter with me so I ventured up the canyon to Glendale. I was finally able to punch a hole in that body of water but I'm betting between the crust slush and ice it was close to 3'. The edges were good and solid at all bodies of water. I ended up fishing in almost 50' of water and did well on the perch and rainbows. I Brought home 24 decent eater size perchy's and caught probably double that at least. They liked a gold tungsten with a little red tail tipped with a spike the best.
Nice, that's quite a bit of slush and ice on those lakes.
(03-17-2023, 05:34 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: I tried to fish Oneida Reservoir yesterday. It was a no go. Probably 3' plus with snow slush and ice so thick I couldn't drill all the way through. After that failed attempt I checked out Foster. No problem getting on the ice. Foster has a crust layer I couldn't even break through stomping on it but it was a little windy and I didn't bring my shelter with me so I ventured up the canyon to Glendale. I was finally able to punch a hole in that body of water but I'm betting between the crust slush and ice it was close to 3'. The edges were good and solid at all bodies of water. I ended up fishing in almost 50' of water and did well on the perch and rainbows. I Brought home 24 decent eater size perchy's and caught probably double that at least. They liked a gold tungsten with a little red tail tipped with a spike the best.

Good for you, sticking with it until you could find a place to fish. How long did you fish to catch those fish? Sounds like a decent day, once to got there, thanks for the report.
(03-17-2023, 09:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 05:34 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: I tried to fish Oneida Reservoir yesterday. It was a no go. Probably 3' plus with snow slush and ice so thick I couldn't drill all the way through. After that failed attempt I checked out Foster. No problem getting on the ice. Foster has a crust layer I couldn't even break through stomping on it but it was a little windy and I didn't bring my shelter with me so I ventured up the canyon to Glendale. I was finally able to punch a hole in that body of water but I'm betting between the crust slush and ice it was close to 3'. The edges were good and solid at all bodies of water. I ended up fishing in almost 50' of water and did well on the perch and rainbows. I Brought home 24 decent eater size perchy's and caught probably double that at least. They liked a gold tungsten with a little red tail tipped with a spike the best.

Good for you, sticking with it until you could find a place to fish. How long did you fish to catch those fish? Sounds like a decent day, once to got there, thanks for the report.

I finally started fishing I think around 9:30 10:00ish and the fish never stopped biting until I left at about 6 or so. The bite was super lite if I even saw or felt anything that might be a bite I was setting the hook. The biggest of the day was a 12.5" perch biggest one I've caught in a long time. The big fish liked minnows.
(03-17-2023, 11:27 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 09:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good for you, sticking with it until you could find a place to fish. How long did you fish to catch those fish? Sounds like a decent day, once to got there, thanks for the report.

I finally started fishing I think around 9:30 10:00ish and the fish never stopped biting until I left at about 6 or so. The bite was super lite if I even saw or felt anything that might be a bite I was setting the hook. The biggest of the day was a 12.5" perch biggest one I've caught in a long time. The big fish liked minnows.

Wow, that is good perch, always nice to catch a few of those big ones. That is deep water, did the gold tungsten jig have any glow on it? What kind of minnows were you using?
(03-18-2023, 01:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 11:27 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 09:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good for you, sticking with it until you could find a place to fish. How long did you fish to catch those fish? Sounds like a decent day, once to got there, thanks for the report.

Wow, that is good perch, always nice to catch a few of those big ones. That is deep water, did the gold tungsten jig have any glow on it? What kind of minnows were you using?
No glow. I think the little red plastic must have been matching the blood worm hatch. I was just using the silver emerald shiners on a tungsten jig. The big ones absolutely hammered it!
(03-18-2023, 01:37 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 01:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that is good perch, always nice to catch a few of those big ones. That is deep water, did the gold tungsten jig have any glow on it? What kind of minnows were you using?
No glow. I think the little red plastic must have been matching the blood worm hatch. I was just using the silver emerald shiners on a tungsten jig. The big ones absolutely hammered it!

Those bigger perch like a bigger meal I guess, likely they are trying to get a bigger meal before they spawn. Have you ever caught perch that big from that lake before?
(03-18-2023, 02:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 01:37 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 01:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that is good perch, always nice to catch a few of those big ones. That is deep water, did the gold tungsten jig have any glow on it? What kind of minnows were you using?

Those bigger perch like a bigger meal I guess, likely they are trying to get a bigger meal before they spawn. Have you ever caught perch that big from that lake before?

Oh yeah I usually get a few 11+ every year but they aren't in big numbers. I measured the big one last night when I filleted it and it was just a touch over 12"
Morning everyone. Yesterday I read an article on fishing Ririe. I cant remember where it was, but it said that the slush and snow combined with the increase in soft ice was making it almost impossible to get on the ice to fish. It said that walking was really tough let alone those with ATV's trying to get around. I guess with the amount of rain and warm temps we got yesterday, its gonna make it even more unstable and tough. Is anyone seeing the ice start to melt out and open up? It should be about ready for breakup. I remember in some past years getting on the water about this time of year so we should be close. Anyone doing any good still? Oh, the article also said that most fish being caught were within the top 5ft of water and then down over 40ft as this was where the oxygen levels were at. F&G werent concerned about fish kill due to lack of oxygen as deep as the reservoir is.
Fished Twin Lakes 4/14. Getting out on the ice was no problem thankfully my neighbor showed up with a piece of scaffolding to get off. Fishing was good. I caught 5 different species. Trout, bass, bluegill, crappie and perch. Lots and lots of little fish but I did end up bringing home a mixed bag of all above species. A 16" rainbow, two bass 15 and 16.5", a few crappies 8-10" a bunch of 8" bluegill, and 3 perch 8-11". I figure I brought 30-40 fish through the ice that day. The most productive depth was 17' of water. That will about do it for the ice fishing season for this guy the edges are getting pretty squishy making it hard to access. Luckily I believe ice off and big rainbows will be here in about 2 weeks or less.
(04-11-2023, 11:07 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: Fished Twin Lakes 4/14. Getting out on the ice was no problem thankfully my neighbor showed up with a piece of scaffolding to get off. Fishing was good. I caught 5 different species. Trout, bass, bluegill, crappie and perch. Lots and lots of little fish but I did end up bringing home a mixed bag of all above species. A 16" rainbow, two bass 15 and 16.5", a few crappies 8-10" a bunch of 8" bluegill, and 3 perch 8-11". I figure I brought 30-40 fish through the ice that day. The most productive depth was 17' of water. That will about do it for the ice fishing season for this guy the edges are getting pretty squishy making it hard to access. Luckily I believe ice off and big rainbows will be here in about 2 weeks or less.

Awesome report, sounds like you had a great day and some good sized fish too. Did one color of jig work better than another? Were you tipping the jig with a certain bait that seemed to help?
(04-11-2023, 11:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-11-2023, 11:07 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: Fished Twin Lakes 4/14. Getting out on the ice was no problem thankfully my neighbor showed up with a piece of scaffolding to get off. Fishing was good. I caught 5 different species. Trout, bass, bluegill, crappie and perch. Lots and lots of little fish but I did end up bringing home a mixed bag of all above species. A 16" rainbow, two bass 15 and 16.5", a few crappies 8-10" a bunch of 8" bluegill, and 3 perch 8-11". I figure I brought 30-40 fish through the ice that day. The most productive depth was 17' of water. That will about do it for the ice fishing season for this guy the edges are getting pretty squishy making it hard to access. Luckily I believe ice off and big rainbows will be here in about 2 weeks or less.

Awesome report, sounds like you had a great day and some good sized fish too. Did one color of jig work better than another? Were you tipping the jig with a certain bait that seemed to help?
They weren't very picky. I was using pink colored tungsten tipped with either a waxie or spike and they both worked great!