Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton 3/2
Hit newton for a couple hours after work to test the new finder. Ice is about 2' thick or so with snow and slush on top. Edges are about four or five feet from the shore buried under a couple feet of snow. Fell in on the way out and had to jump across on the way back. Marked four fish in the middle of the lake of the bathrooms in 24' of water. No bites and not much swimming around.
Thanks for the report, sounds like Newton is going downhill fast. Glad you were able to get on the ice, hopefully you didn't get too wet. What kind of finder did you get?
Upgraded my livescope setup to the new transducer and a new screen. And not terribly wet just from my knee down and was dry within fifteen minutes
(03-03-2023, 03:14 AM)DjHill16 Wrote: Upgraded my livescope setup to the new transducer and a new screen. And not terribly wet just from my knee down and was dry within fifteen minutes

That must be nice, I bet it will pay out nicely when you can get to a lake that has a few more fish. Seems Newton started off pretty good this season but really went down hill. Was there anyone else out there fishing?
No I was the only one up there. Had a couple of trucks drive slow around the dam watching me but no one stopped.
(03-03-2023, 03:18 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: No I was the only one up there. Had a couple of trucks drive slow around the dam watching me but no one stopped.

Likely because of the big gap between the shore and the ice. Do you think you would have tried to get out on the ice had you known the snow was covering the thin ice at the shore?
Thanks for your report, I was going to give it a try, but probably won't now... I really don't like falling through the edges... How wide is the gap (4-5'?) at the ramp? Would an 8' plank get you on and off if you had one? Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I so love to fish Newton but am worried that Newton in general is in a down turn. I did not hear much about bluegill or largemouth at all this ice season and the perch fishing seemed really off. I hope I am wrong and read the wrong reports
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Lance, I think you are right on about Newton... It was really good last year, but that drew a ton of fishermen and I think they caught a really heavy toll on the fish population... The water being so low, had the fish concentrated in a small area so it was easy to find fish there, so everyone did well, now I think the population is much much lower... I think too many kept the bass so what was a great pond is now lacking in bass... I expect as the water returns this year, the fish will start to rebound, but expect dink fish for the next 2-3 years while they grow up... Also expect the low numbers spread over a lot more area will make pretty tough fishing there for a couple years... Hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid I'm right on this one... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!