Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another bad catching day, what is up this Winter!!
Thanks for the info Pat, I tried to look up that show too but the last show they had was from Feb, so I guess they only post them every few weeks. I've tried using that setup before but never had that kind of success, maybe I gave up too quick. Could you tell how far off the ramp they went?
I have caught some nice splake trolling Jordanelle for Kokes. Biggest last summer was around 24". Always a surprise and you know when you have one on the line. Tried a couple of times to target them but haven't cracked that code yet.
(03-05-2023, 10:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the info Pat, I tried to look up that show too but the last show they had was from Feb, so I guess they only post them every few weeks. I've tried using that setup before but never had that kind of success, maybe I gave up too quick. Could you tell how far off the ramp they went?
There were a couple of times I could see and recognize the service buildings in the background.  If I were to make a guess I would say about a hundred yards NNE of the main Hailstone Ramp.  Again, he mentioned depths of from 16 to 25 feet.  I suspect that if you could find the right depth...on a fishy highway...there would be fish coming through regularly.  If not, keep moving and looking.

One other bit of info on the fishing technique is that he was not putting a lot of action on the flasher/dodger.  Just a gentle raising and lowering...followed by a deadstick.  And he mentioned that he got several hits on the drop. 

I kinda think that the whole principle of having a larger attractor...above the baited lure...is a proven tactic.  Works while trolling for kokes, trout, walleyes and other species.  And in the last few years has proven to be effective under the ice as well.  The added flash and vibration helps bring the fish in and the baited lure seals the deal.  I think that's why Halis and Johnson Snare spoons are so effective at times.  Draw em in with something bigger and then serve then something bite size.