Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedway Residential Area
Thumbs Down 
I moved from the town of West Point west of Hill AFB to Harrisville/North Ogden area in 2008. This is where me & the wife chose to retire which I can get away from the constant flyovers of Hill AFB living in West Point. The point is I wanted to retire from the jets I worked on not with them, I've had enough of the constant noise I had to work with. There wasn't much of a break even on weekends. 
Now we face a whole different issue. We live on a corner where the street in front of the house ends into a T and stop sign which you can go left or right only. When first moved in traffic wasn't too bad as only the local residence were the only ones using the neighborhood. After a couple of years, other traffic started to increase as others found it to be a shortcut coming off of US89 to 2700N (exit 349 off of I-15). The street in front of my house also leads to Pleasantview going north on 600W crossing over 2700N. Also, approximately 2010 an LDS church was constructed 1 block over from my house with the Mormon 500 every Sunday all day long at times. I have installed security cameras around my house as we have had unwanted visitors in the neighborhood before, car thieves, occasional home break-ins, my vinyl fence on the southside (the other street) of my house was dismantled overnight and scattered throughout my backyard. The stop sign in front of my house doesn't mean STOP. I watch vehicles daily approach the stop sign at a high rate of speed making turns without stopping. Its all on video cams too. I witnessed 2 bicyclists stopped at the stop sign which they saw an oncoming car from their right take the corner where a vehicle would stop and almost mowed them down, again on video. Another incident was an actual car accident when a car failed to stop at the stop sign making a left turn this time T-boning another car, video doesn't lie. I get a lot of entertainment on this corner. I came home from a day of fishing one afternoon and as I was backing my boat into the driveway (of course I blocked the street), back of my boat with motors was just entering driveway when a small truck came from the north decided he was going to jump the curb into my driveway and go around me backing in. There was another vehicle I owned parked in the driveway, fortunately this individual stopped before he hit it. He noticed I was getting out of my truck to confront him; he backed up making another run and escaped between my boat & parked vehicle which I'm not sure with what little space he had to maneuver he made it without any destruction. The icy snow cover streets here on this corner adds to the drama. Folks just don't slowdown in residential areas with people walking dogs, kids going to school or using the neighborhood streets as their playground which you don't much of anymore. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
We went thru a similar thing being on a private roadway. Kids raced up and down our street until late at night on side-by sides, mini bikes and 4 wheelers. Until our HOA decided to have our residents registered with the HOA (this is no cost registration. What we learned was most of our racing traffic was coming from the next neighborhood not ours. 

Next they started ringing doorbells then racing away. That was until they rang ours when our son (a police officer) was here visiting. He then was driving an unmarked car. So he went out, and caught up to them in his car, lights on. He gave them the speech about what they'd been doing, then he asked where they lived, so they told him. He went to the house to talk with their parents. The parents weren't home, but the older sister was. He explained the issues about what had been happening and asked her to tell her parents - and surprise, she actually did!  The next day, the parents with the trouble kids in tow, came to apologize and brought us all sorts of snacks, drinks, etc. The speed racing quit, and our neighborhood was peaceful once again. 

Timing is everything sometimes.
When a house was being constructed across the street from the stop sign, during cold snowy days with ice/snow buildup vehicles would approach the stop at a fast rate finding themselves unable to stop sliding across the road slamming either into a wooden light pole or into a construction vehicle (forklift) that was straddled across the driveway. This was before I added security cams, but the entertainment was fun to watch.  Big Grin Need I say which vehicle won that battle.  
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Roger, not sure if they would do anything but if it were me, especially since you have video, I'd be contacting your local sheriff. If they can make out a license plate they could do something about it. At a minimum they could put a police car nearby so those people would know they are watching.
Curt, I've talked to the local law enforcement which they setup a digital speed monitor/display. Others have complained also, cops have setup for a half a morning catching speeders which is rare. The city has installed a speed limit sign on my street at both ends. Residence even put out animated flag holder's children at play or slow down. Super Dave who you also know lives on the other corner with the LDS church bordering his property can tell of the incidents that goes on at his corner. There is a detective with one of the law enforcement agencies who lives next door to Dave. There is a Riverdale cop within our block who resides here. I have suggested to the city of Harrisville to either put in speed bumps or undulations to slow down the traffic. Their response was snowplows won't be able to plow. Unfortunately, as we experienced with the gov't in the past where we use to work, it takes a serious accident for something to be recognized. Its Sad that it has to come to that. 
Harrisville UT
With the growth we have seen here in Utah in the last ten years it's Sad some of them have so little respect for those around them. It seems to get worse every year. About the only answer is to move to a less populated area, if it continues to get worse where you live.
I'm here to stay no matter how things turn out. I've lived in several states over my up to now lifetime and made the decision this is my retirement home until I can't function anymore, or I turn 110yrs old.  Big Grin
Harrisville UT
(03-10-2023, 04:28 PM)Bduck Wrote: I'm here to stay no matter how things turn out. I've lived in several states over my up to now lifetime and made the decision this is my retirement home until I can't function anymore, or I turn 110yrs old.  Big Grin

Us too! Too bad they couldn't at least put a police car in the area sort of like they do when driving south in the small towns along 89. It does seem to slow the traffic and at least make people wonder if they too should slow down. It might help some. Occasionally then you could have an occupied police car that parks there who tickets any who think they've learned it's a fake and are still ignoring it. 

But it's a fight for sure.
(03-10-2023, 04:28 PM)Bduck Wrote: . . . this is my retirement home until I can't function anymore, or I turn 110yrs old.  Big Grin
Same here Roger.  When I moved to Hooper in 1986, it was unincorporated and mostly farmland with pheasant sittings in the back yard weekly.  Houses are sprouting up all around me like mushrooms in my yard in the spring.  Haven't seen a pheasant in over 5 years.  My street is also a state highway, and the traffic is becoming horrendous.  But I'm here until I can't anymore.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-14-2023, 12:33 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 04:28 PM)Bduck Wrote: . . . this is my retirement home until I can't function anymore, or I turn 110yrs old.  Big Grin
Same here Roger.  When I moved to Hooper in 1986, it was unincorporated and mostly farmland with pheasant sittings in the back yard weekly.  Houses are sprouting up all around me like mushrooms in my yard in the spring.  Haven't seen a pheasant in over 5 years.  My street is also a state highway, and the traffic is becoming horrendous.  But I'm here until I can't anymore.
Ya, this is my senior home. I push to keep myself functioning and here for the wife too. The good thing is I have my plans all staked out for fishing barring a major hiccup like last year. Wink
Harrisville UT